Weight training calories loss.

Options
How much calories would the body be approximately burning if doing for say training chest.. 15 sets for that muscle? heavy weights 6-8 reps

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to determine how many calories you burn lifting weights. I'd just not log it and consider it a bonus.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. Weight training isn't about calorie loss, it's about toning and building muscle.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Really depends on the person but always surprisingly low.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person and the intensity of the workout.

From what I've read, the 24 hour burn tied to a good, heavy lifting session is about equal to that of a good cardio session.

So if you burn 10 cals per minute running, then a 60 minute run will burn ~600 cals. A good lifting session that lasts 60 minutes will burn about the same. The difference is that running burns almost all those cals while you are actually running, but lifting burns the majority of the cals after the session is over as the body build/repairs muscles.

Personally, I figure about 6 cals per minute lifting, just to be safe.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    I only give myself credit for what my FitBit calculates it to... including the 10 minute warmup, its about 150 calories. The only exercise I log is specific cardio like a run or bike ride.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Depends on person and intensity. I wear a HRM always. And On days i do arms/back/shoulders etc i burn anywhere from 5-600 calories, that includes a 5 min warm up run on the treadmill. Leg days Im between 4-500 cals. I alway spush myself. Im also a woman, so I guess it would be different either way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    not much...and definitely not much for one specific exercise...not to mention, the real benefit of lifting is what happens when you rest...the workout is just a catalyst for the magic that is body re-composition. Weight training really is about a long term investment in your body composition and strength, not about the "burn" you get while performing the workout.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I only give myself credit for what my FitBit calculates it to... including the 10 minute warmup, its about 150 calories. The only exercise I log is specific cardio like a run or bike ride.

If you fart hard enough it gets recognized by fitbit! You're making it too difficult on yourself.....Worrying about how much you're burning #JUSTLIFTBRO lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Depends on person and intensity. I wear a HRM always. And On days i do arms/back/shoulders etc i burn anywhere from 5-600 calories, that includes a 5 min warm up run on the treadmill. Leg days Im between 4-500 cals. I alway spush myself. Im also a woman, so I guess it would be different either way.

HRMs are inaccurate outside of an aerobic event...even then, they are only relatively accurate. They are not in anyway accurate for an anaerobic event like weight training. Your HRM assumes an aerobic event in the algorithm used to determine your estimated calorie burn...this is because your HR during an aerobic event is a relatively good estimate of where you are at in RE to your VO2 max. Anaerobic exercises like weight training are ****ty indicators of VO2 max and therefore the algorithm is skewed.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options

If you fart hard enough it gets recognized by fitbit! You're making it too difficult on yourself.....Worrying about how much you're burning #JUSTLIFTBRO lol

No - thats what im saying. I dont worry about what im burning and just lift. If FitBit gives me credit for extra movement throughout the day, yay me.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

HRMs are inaccurate outside of an aerobic event...even then, they are only relatively accurate. They are not in anyway accurate for an anaerobic event like weight training. Your HRM assumes an aerobic event in the algorithm used to determine your estimated calorie burn...this is because your HR during an aerobic event is a relatively good estimate of where you are at in RE to your VO2 max. Anaerobic exercises like weight training are ****ty indicators of VO2 max and therefore the algorithm is skewed.

I am over 100 lbs overweight. When I do weights, I sweat, i pant, I BURN. And whether they are "completely accurate' or not, i only care to see that I am doing what i am supposed to be doing, Getting my heart rate up (which i do) and doing the best I can through each set. being significantly overweight, im going to burn a lot more than someone whos in shape. i don't care about the calorie numbers when I lift. i know what its going to do fo rmy body in the long run. The man asked, i gave him my opinion, and what i see when I do lifting.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I am over 100 lbs overweight. When I do weights, I sweat, i pant, I BURN. And whether they are "completely accurate' or not, i only care to see that I am doing what i am supposed to be doing, Getting my heart rate up (which i do) and doing the best I can through each set. being significantly overweight, im going to burn a lot more than someone whos in shape. i don't care about the calorie numbers when I lift. i know what its going to do fo rmy body in the long run. The man asked, i gave him my opinion, and what i see when I do lifting.

And this is why I no longer correct/debate on the forums. If someone asks a question, I'll happily answer it, but everyone knows everything, so there's no sense trying to educate people unless they ask.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Getting in an intense workout is good. A HRM still wont accurately measure the calories burned.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    How much calories would the body be approximately burning if doing for say training chest.. 15 sets for that muscle? heavy weights 6-8 reps

It's .00032 calories per pound per foot (foot pounds) to lift a weight. Of course, if you take a long time on the downward phase this will go up, etc. Also, your body is terribly inefficient at lifting weight. It may take you 5 to 10 calories to apply that 1 calorie to lifting the weight.

So if you do 15 sets of 8 reps at 100 lbs, and each movement is approximately 2 feet with free weights it would be: 15 * 8 * 100 * 2 * 10 * .00032 ~= 77 calories.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-pound_(energy)
    As mentioned above HRMs aren't accurate for lifting weights. When it comes to exercise there are two energy paths, aerobic and anaerobic.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobic_exercise
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_exercise

Aerobic exercise is when fat combines with oxygen to provide energy. This is the type of exercise that most people call "cardio". Your heart rate rises in order to push more oxygen volume through the body. This is called a Volume Load. It's what HRMs are designed to monitor.

Anaerobic exercise is when your body uses the glycogen stored inside the muscles and liver to provide energy. Oxygen is not a factor at all. When you lift weights at 20 RM or heavier (you cant do more than 20 reps straight at a given weight) then you are utilizing the anaerobic chain. Certain blood vessels constrict while others open up wider. Your heart rate rises to provide a greater amount of blood pressure in those open vessels. This is called a Pressure Load. Your HRM can obviously measure your HR here, but it can't calculate the calories burned.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7091353
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    There is a "Strength Training" under Cardio but it is not very accurate because it does not take the weight or reps or rest periods into account.