Protein Powders

Options
I have been using Market Pantry (Target brand) chocolate protein powder for over a year now. They recently came out a new formula. It tastes good, but the consistency reminds me something of uncooked pudding. It is so much thicker! Are other protein powders like that too? Have other people who bought the same thing-are you experiencing this thickness too? Just wondering!

Replies

• michellechawner
    Options
    I was using Dynamize, and i only noticed it was super thick if I doubled up on the powder, but one scoop is fine. I think I got it online at GMC. I also use Garden of Life (because it's gluten free), and I have chocolate and mix it with peanut butter and a banana and almond milk - takes away some of the chalkiness, and makes it smoother.

I also used to use progenix, but it was too expensive so I stopped buying it, but it really helped with muscle repair and reduced soreness after hard workouts, so it was worth it when I was doing crossfit.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I have diet PhD Diet Whey in Belgium Chocolate.

Worst. Tasting. Thing. Ever.

Got so much of it though that I'm getting creative in what I put it in to mask it.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use Gold Standard, double rich chocolate. The consistency is perfect, regardless of how many scoops I use for both baking and shakes. I purchased mine off of GNC, it's recommended by bodybuilding.com as well.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I must be missing something, but if it is too thick just add more liquid.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I have diet PhD Diet Whey in Belgium Chocolate.

Worst. Tasting. Thing. Ever.

Got so much of it though that I'm getting creative in what I put it in to mask it.

I keep getting that in goodie bags and samples from Sportives and races I do. Haven't tried it yet though.
  • GetStrongGetLeanInMD
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural Whey Vanilla

Its the cleanest I have seen. When you buy from box stores you really need to be wary of additives/filler/and sugar levels. Most of the brands are loaded with this stuff.

I dont know Target's brand but worth comparing the label.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Performance Whey (vanilla); I did some research a little while back and decided that was the best option for me, nutritionally. Flavor-wise it's not too bad, either - there's definitely no weird thickness or "uncooked pudding" consistency. Worth taking a look at or giving a try!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Protein Factory - Monster V blend with no sweeteners. I like the Cinnabon flavor, and then add real cinnamon to the shake. It's yumtastic.
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    I must be missing something, but if it is too thick just add more liquid.

I am using the same amount of liquid as I did with the old formula. More liquid equals more calories....

My post is just wondering if others have experienced this issue with other protein powders. Thanks tho...
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural Whey Vanilla

Its the cleanest I have seen. When you buy from box stores you really need to be wary of additives/filler/and sugar levels. Most of the brands are loaded with this stuff.

I dont know Target's brand but worth comparing the label.

Yea that is my concern. The old formula wasn't too bad ( I know there are cleaner formulas out there but completely out of my budget range) I thought it was something I did with the mixture but I am definately looking at the label when I get home!
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A Redditor did a study of the amount of actual Protein in the powders, and it turns out, despite the almighty label, many ranked in the 70-80% range. The highest ranking proteins were ON and Isopure.

I would be weary of the Protein levels of store brand stuff. The Body Fortresss cheap-o stuff had a score of about 60% despite what the label claimed.
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    Protein Factory - Monster V blend with no sweeteners. I like the Cinnabon flavor, and then add real cinnamon to the shake. It's yumtastic.

um....YUM!
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I use the Sun Warrior Vanilla and Chocolate protein powders. They're free of solvents, GMOs, radiation, artificial flavors, artificial preservatives, or artificial colors. They also contain no animal products, dairy, egg, gluten, soy, added sugar, wheat, or yeast. Expensive but worth the benefits.
  • Sreber22x
    Sreber22x Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Whey Protein powder. It has 30g of Protein per scoop, and is usually pretty reasonably priced-$15 for 2 lbs. container. The chocolate flavor tastes ok, but I usually add a banana and/or light peanut butter to add little more flavor.

The recommended volume of water to mix is comparable to drinking chocolate milk.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I use the Sun Warrior Vanilla and Chocolate protein powders. They're free of solvents, GMOs, radiation, artificial flavors, artificial preservatives, or artificial colors. They also contain no animal products, dairy, egg, gluten, soy, added sugar, wheat, or yeast. Expensive but worth the benefits.

This
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amberkhan75
    Options
    I use the isagenix shakes: IsaLean and IsaLean Pro - it's undenatured whey protein so it still has all of its nutritional properties. The cattle are grass fed which makes a world of difference in quality. Combine that with the nutritional cleanse and I swear, fat melts away and muscles define. Chocolate is my favourite with a splash of mint extract. Yum!
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Spirutein banana, tropical fruit, or vanilla :smile: :drinker: