Does this fitness invention exist?

Options
I was watching a TV morning news program the other day that showed an app parents can put on their kids' Kindle or Ipad that locks the device until the child has read for 30 min. and it shuts down after a designated period of time, so that the kids aren't just on the computer all day.

That got me thinking: I would love an app that wouldn't let me watch TV or use a computer or something until I had logged exercise time. I'm not all that tech savvy, but I was wondering if anyone knows of some digital device that does something like this.

If not, I'm going to go to Shark Tank and pitch it. HAHA!

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid not, just need to do it. You might want to look into the Gym-Pact app though. You put up money at the beginning of a week, that you loose if you don't check in at the gym according to schedule or log your runs or whatever. And you actually make a little money from the people who don't, provided you fill your goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I dunno- I dislike the idea of not having the self discipline to get off my own fat *kitten* and just go do the work.

If I have to have an app baby sit me to get my work out done- I think I'd just end my life.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Bottom line though, just like with kids, they really have to want to do it if it's going to get done properly and stick.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I dunno- I dislike the idea of not having the self discipline to get off my own fat *kitten* and just go do the work.

If I have to have an app baby sit me to get my work out done- I think I'd just end my life.

Ending your life may be a bit drastic haha.
    But yeah at a point you just gotta do it alone. If you don't have that motivation to just do it, it is going to be a very difficult journey.
  • healthymissfit
    healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    there are, in fact, apps you can download that will auto shutdown devices after a certain period of time. however, they cannot determine what you are doing, so say you're on the computer and you only want to play the computer game for 30 minutes and then you want to read online for 20 minutes, you must set it to 50 minutes, it will not know how long you've done different things.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    There are add-ons for internet browsers that limit your time on the sites your specify. I used it in college during exams but it wasn't very helpful considering I had a smartphone...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Does that mean you wouldn't be able to do anything on rest day?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I dislike the idea of not having the self discipline to get off my own fat *kitten* and just go do the work.
    This ^^^

I think it's pathetic that we (society) can't put down our gadgets long enough to do a little of physical activity.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Whatever works! Knowing yourself is a huge part of getting fit, imho.

I use an alarm/scheduling system that pops up what my workout is for the day and bugs me about it so I don't get too sucked into computer work. It's called TaskPrompt. You can use it for any task, but it really helps me to notice how late it is and that it's Upper Body or Rest day or whatever without having to do anything. It's like an alarm with a snooze. Once you complete the task, the snoozing stops. Good luck!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I dont know about a TV but you can get reminder apps and software for phone/computer to make an alarm go off and say whatever you want. Make it say something self degrading like "get off your fat *kitten* and exercise"