What is the vegetarian version of lean meats??

Options
As a vegetarian I'm really struggling with getting the right stuff into my body. It wasn't a problem previously but now that I'm down to the last few lbs I have to get more on top of what I'm eating.

My problem is that I'm definitely not getting enough protein in and am using bread, pasta etc to fill me up.

What is the vegetarian replacement for the meat eater's chicken and oily fish?? Quorn is lovely but strikes me as very highly processed...

Does anyone have any insight/ideas/what's worked for them?

Much appreciated as ever

Replies

• ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Beans, tofu, tempeh, nuts, etc. could also use whey or hemp, rice, etc. protein powder if you want to go that route. The majority of my diet is plant-based (I might eat meat every couple of months) and have no problems getting over 100 grams of protein a day.
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    Just vegetarian :) I eat eggs, dairy etc. Although try not to delve too deep into dairy due to a mild intolerance.

It's not a moral choice for me, I just really can't abide the taste of meat. Have been veggie for 10yrs now
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I aim for a 90%/10% ratio and focus on a mostly whole foods, plant based diet. I'm not a vegetarian but am pretty close to it diet wise. I have a green smoothie every day, usually a large, dinner plate sized salad and then some sort of whole grain-brown rice, oatmeal etc etc. I'm in maintenance and am currently struggling to stop continued weight loss, so what I'm doing must be a brilliant weight loss strategy :tongue:

A typical day-

break fast at 11am with a large salad that has veggies, black olives, croutons and regular ranch dressing; large sweet potato with a cinnamon sugar mixture on top (nothing else-no butter etc)

late afternoon I'll have a large green smoothie with kale, spinach, chia or hemp seeds, banana, blueberries and one other fruit-fills a large canning jar

supper is something like brown rice and veggies or oatmeal with add ins (current favorite is ground flax seed, raisins and cut up almonds).

I don't count calories and only measure out portion sizes of the higher calorie things like the olives, almonds etc. Again, I'm supposed to be in maintenance but I keep hitting new lows eating this way :) I also have meat and dairy 2-3 times a week, still eat out (usually when I eat the meat and dairy), still have an occasional snack like a homemade muffin or pretzels etc. Only exercise I do is walking and a very small amount of running. I've definitely noticed having more energy since I started eating like this, I sleep better and my skin has cleared up for some reason?
  • bigjoe02
    Options
    Why don't you try Veggie Burgers and Veggie Sausage and stuff like that??/
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options
    Quinoa! 1 cup has about 18g of protein in it. You can't beat it.
  • bigjoe02
    Options
    Maybe try a Whey protein Drink with Cranberry Juice, orange Juice, or Skim milk & a Scoop of Peanut Butter in it, Delicious...
    You can even drop a Raw egg in there... Plenty of Protein!!!
  • 1alicia3
    Options
    Just vegetarian :) I eat eggs, dairy etc. Although try not to delve too deep into dairy due to a mild intolerance.

It's not a moral choice for me, I just really can't abide the taste of meat. Have been veggie for 10yrs now
    ^^ Me too! ...all of this (: feel free to add me, you look awesome by the way!

In for recommendations!
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options

It kind of goes against what I'm trying to do....I'm not going for the full blown 'clean eating' hype but I do want to be eating mainly things I've made which is why I'm trying to find an alternative to quorn.

Thanks for all the answers guys.... broadening my mind a little... bit by bit, lol
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

It kind of goes against what I'm trying to do....I'm not going for the full blown 'clean eating' hype but I do want to be eating mainly things I've made which is why I'm trying to find an alternative to quorn.

Thanks for all the answers guys.... broadening my mind a little... bit by bit, lol

I know I'm stumbling around a bit into some older territory....gotta love the Internet. But while I am not vegetarian, I do like a lot of vegetarian meals and my daughter is vegetarian, bordering on vegan. I do like the packaged veggie-burger products, but don't feel like they are a great choice and they get expensive.

I started making a lentil & brown rice mixture and making the batch different each time....sometimes Tomato Basil, sometimes Garlic Curry, etc. I can make well over 50 "burgers" for around $3-4, depending on the add-ins. I just cook up a large batch and portion them by 1/4 servings. I made them into patties, place them on parchment paper lined cookie sheets, and freeze them. Then I put each in a baggie, throw them all in a couple of freezer bags, and use them as I want them.

I sometimes thaw them first, but don't have to. I just brown them up a bit. My daughter often just nukes them, but I like a little crunch / firmness. They can be crumbled into things, too. Several non-vegetarian friends have tried them and liked them also.

I've also made Black Bean burgers (as needed, from canned beans). And I'm going to try Breakfast Sausages - here is a link to the recipe:

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/03/breakfast-sausages.html

I also like lots of nuts, nut butter, seeds, etc, as well as some dairy and meat. But these are nice because they can be made ahead as a "convenience item," but you know what's in them. Let me know if you have any questions. :)
  • Kjriley02
    Kjriley02 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This! Quinoa and other seeds and nuts are a great source of protein and healthy fats and add satisfying texture.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian a number of years ago and found I had to rely heavily on wheat, grains, dairy, legumes and soy. I hate soy so I actually used a lot Quorn products, but yes, they are highly processed. I would think most vegetarian products are highly processed. I eventually added fish back in because my iron was so low. When I got pregnant again I ended up going back to all meats.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Morning star has a lot of meat alternatives from "chicken nuggets" to black bean burgers ( i really like the blackbean burgers)

tofu nuts seeds etc all have protein.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I rely a lot on Avocado, beans, nuts and green veggies.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    wow @ all of these responses. talking about how beans, avocados, nuts are equivalent to lean meat.

yea and has 100g of carbs and 10g of fat, sounds exactly like lean meat.

The only thing close to lean meat would be soy, eggs, whey, certain cheeses.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and I also struggle with going to carbs to fill me up. I try to eat at least 1-2 pounds of green leafy veggies. It is a LOT of food and a lot of chewing but lots of protein, vitamins, and minerals. Toss on some seeds or nuts, throw some garbanzo beans, and maybe a few other colorful veggies and you will be full ALL day.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to keep track of these great ideas!
  • mytabouly
    mytabouly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cottage cheese? Or curd? I use these to help bolster my protein intake without overdoing it on meat...
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If you can handle the gluten try Seiten. I've never made it myself but apparently it's quite easy to make (I will have to try this one day but I'm the lazy kinda vegetarian)

Also a lovely omelette with 4 egg whites 1 egg yolk, some cottage cheese and some spinach gets me going every morning :) with some oat bread and my coffee with milk that's 40+ grams of protein right there
  • dragoncake79
    Options
    quorn bacon is nice with avocado in a salad

quorn ham good with wheat free bread and salad

I think it's good to have quorn maybe 3-4 times a week, not everyday!

Today I had bean burgers made with sweet potato and beans, so yummy!
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    ^^ seitan has lots of protein ( as long as you can eat gluten) and it is easy to make, or you can buy it at the market next to the tofu section. I use it in tacos, sandwiches, wraps, salads, rice/veggie bowls...really anything. I also eat lots of lentils, beans, eggs, Greek yogurt, tofu, protein powder, and some cheese. My diary is open if you want to check it out.