Tuna...yay or nay?

Options
Tuns fish in the little single serve pouches...easy, inexpensive, versatile...all that good stuff. I had forgotten how much I liked tuna (girlfriend won't eat it, so just never really bought it) and recently rediscovered it's usefulness in creating a well balanced meal. However...as now I feel the need to research much of what I eat in an effort to make better choices, I find there is some debate about tuna. I've read that it is good for you, I have read that it is bad for you (mercury is baaad) etc, etc... I would hate for it to be really bad for me, as I do like it and as far as a lean protein goes, it ranks up there pretty high!

What are your thoughts on tuna???

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Nay....because gross. :sick:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Tuna = good IMO Canned, pouched or a big tuna steak on the grill. It's all good.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    That's what my girlfriend says too :ohwell: about it being nay, I mean....
  • mordant57
    mordant57 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nay for the same reason...it's nasty!
    But if you choose to eat it, just cap yourself at 1-2 times per week and the risk of mercury is relatively nill.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Yay....because delicious with mayo, and a good source of protein. :happy:

FTFY
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I say yay because yum :laugh: :tongue:

And OP, you'll be fine. You aren't going to get mercury poisoning from the little packets or cans of tuna.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I eat it every day and I'm still alive
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nay for the same reason...it's nasty!
    But if you choose to eat it, just cap yourself at 1-2 times per week and the risk of mercury is relatively nill.

The cheaper tinned tuna has less mercury than steaks or the more expensive tinned albacore, because the cheaper stuff is from smaller fish that absorb less mercury.
  • Yiazach
    Yiazach Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    nay for mercury for me, although i smoke....wtf is wrong with me???
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I LOVE canned tuna...but the mercury is a problem. I keep to 5 cans or less a week.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Tuna baked potato is one of my favourite lunches.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I not am a huge fan of tuna, but I will don't mind tuna casserole or things of that nature. As for the mercury thing, you would have to eat A LOT of tuna for it to truly start causing health issues.

As for the canned vs pouch, wild vs farm raised...each has <1% difference from each other.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    mixed with half of an avocado & salt, DELISH
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yay to the tuna.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i love can tuna so yes for me
  • mrscool5
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that women of childbearing age shouldn't eat tuna more than once or twice a week because if they are/get preggo the mercury could affect the baby. Other than that I don't think they said it's much to worry about.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Yaay! Love tuna fish sandwiches, especially Subway's.
  • darksomebelle
    darksomebelle Posts: 21 Member
    Options

That sounds amazing. Totally trying that for lunch tomorrow.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I say yay - I eat the salmon (pouch or canned, I don't like tuna as much). As for the mercury issue: "The Food and Agriculture Organization and World Health Organization (FAO/WHO) found that canned tuna “products are beneficial – and thus post no reasonable possibility of injury – through at least 24.5 ounces per week in both their central and worse case calculation.”

Packed with omega-3s, low-fat protein, selenium and other nutrients, canned light and albacore tuna are optimal, safe choices of fish. Both kinds are low in mercury, falling well below the FDA’s action limit of 1.0 parts per million (ppm); canned light tuna has an average of 0.13 ppm while albacore has an average of 0.35 ppm. More reassuring, the FDA’s 1.0 ppm action level has a built in safety factor of 1,000 percent “to limit consumers’ methylmercury exposure to levels … lower than the lowest levels associated with adverse effects.”

The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGAs) are clear that everyone should eat a variety of seafood, including canned tuna. While the general population has no restrictions, pregnant and breastfeeding women and children can have up to two servings of fish per week, including canned light tuna and up to one meal per week of albacore tuna."
    (http://www.aboutseafood.com/content/rhetoric-vs-reality-3)

Don't be paranoid, eat it up! :flowerforyou:
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options

I am going to have to try that!!! Wow...