Squat form - does it look ok???

Options

Replies

• gemheath2010
    gemheath2010 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone comments are really useful-I thought I was using the low bar position to be honest but after the comments I watched it back and I can see that the bar is defo sat to high. So when I train next I will make sure I bring it down a bit lower. Hopefully these will be easy fixes, I didn't realise it would be so hard to perfect the squat

Yeah actually I have a suspicion that it's nearly impossible... :drinker:

And as for the mirror, I think it's a great tool to determine depth, but just never forget that there is a bunch of things that you need to focus on that you can't see, or that might look fine in the mirror but are wrong from the side/back.

Oh dear lol - I did wonder if I should just give up now but I actually really enjoy squats

NOOO! Don't, sorry, forget I even said anything, delete your browser history and never check this topic again....

Keep it up, your squat is actually very good for a beginner!

lol nah I don't think I could give it up now to be honest I really enjoy picking up large lumps of metal- way more fun then running for 40 mins
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    In for the info as I totally skrewed my back up last night from squatting :-(
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone comments are really useful-I thought I was using the low bar position to be honest but after the comments I watched it back and I can see that the bar is defo sat to high. So when I train next I will make sure I bring it down a bit lower. Hopefully these will be easy fixes, I didn't realise it would be so hard to perfect the squat

And as for the mirror, I think it's a great tool to determine depth, but just never forget that there is a bunch of things that you need to focus on that you can't see, or that might look fine in the mirror but are wrong from the side/back.

Oh dear lol - I did wonder if I should just give up now but I actually really enjoy squats

NOOO! Don't, sorry, forget I even said anything, delete your browser history and never check this topic again....

lol nah I don't think I could give it up now to be honest I really enjoy picking up large lumps of metal- way more fun then running for 40 mins

So like... what's your situation. You married? ;)
  • gemheath2010
    Options
    In for the info as I totally skrewed my back up last night from squatting :-(

I did that a few months ago - ended up having to go right back and starting again - this time I'm defo going to get it right
  • CassandraBurgos83
    Options
    Me too... It just bums me bc last week I finally hit 185 with no spotting on the rack and did 7 reps and yest I went down on my 4th at 155 and Boooo I'm down and not getting back up after the loud pop . Heading to the chiro in 1 hr :)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I go to a commercial gym so there isn't anything I can do about the mirrors

they must be trying to tame their "brah" membership enrollment by only putting up small narrow mirrors... my gyms entire wall is made of mirrors... the brah community is thriving and little progress is being made..
  • gemheath2010
    Options

Yup - celebrated my third wedding anniversary yesterday :tongue:
  • mkim3138
    Options
    EliteFTS.com So You Think You Can Squat - http://youtu.be/2ME8gEN54Ao
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Crap... I mean congrats!... I mean... crap... :laugh:
  • gemheath2010
    Options
    Me too... It just bums me bc last week I finally hit 185 with no spotting on the rack and did 7 reps and yest I went down on my 4th at 155 and Boooo I'm down and not getting back up after the loud pop . Heading to the chiro in 1 hr :)

Ahh what a shame - mine wasn't quite that bad I just got up out if the hole awkwardly and pulled something it was fine after a couple of days rest - hope your feeling better soon - don't let it out you off
  • gemheath2010
    Options

Crap... I mean congrats!... I mean... crap... :laugh:

Lol
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Oh man, 185 isn't bad for a girl with your physique. What is that in relation to bodyweight?

Also, what happened to your back? Did you GM the weight or was it butt wink? Also, a "loud pop"... I don't want you to think that's normal. You might want to see an MD about that too.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    Options

Oh man, 185 isn't bad for a girl with your physique. What is that in relation to bodyweight?

Also, what happened to your back? Did you GM the weight or was it butt wink? Also, a "loud pop"... I don't want you to think that's normal. You might want to see an MD about that too.

I just like to see how strong I can be and honestly just want my big butt back. I love lifting, legs and glute days are my fav days. I have a bulging disc and uneven hips from 2 very bad car wrecks and two pregnancies. I'm 117ish, but my squat goal is 225 and I dead lift 120lbs ( maybe not after last night.) I need some replacement exercise to gain strength while I take a squat break.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I love a woman in a squat rack... Just sayin
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Saving this for later, cos need to check my own form out now!

I am still really low in terms of weight - 25kg - but getting stronger every week.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    You guys mind if I post my squat in here too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXs--CbdpkE

Needs a little more depth I think.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Yours don't look bad. You're super slow though. How can you squat that slow. At one point I was concerned because your knees blurred :laugh:

Your depth isn't terrible. You may just want to sink it a couple more inches.

This is a training video of mine for a couple days ago. Everyone's form breaks down with fatigue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6a6Eym9ctQ
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Yours don't look bad. You're super slow though. How can you squat that slow. At one point I was concerned because your knees blurred :laugh:

Your depth isn't terrible. You may just want to sink it a couple more inches.

This is a training video of mine for a couple days ago. Everyone's form breaks down with fatigue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6a6Eym9ctQ

Rofl, yeah I really like to "feel" it.

and just in case, it's slo-mo...
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

looks pretty crisp.. your bar path is fantastic.... I held a piece of paper to my 46" monitor/tv and the bar literally tracked the line on the edge of the paper and stayed perfect over midfoot.

Its pretty hard to tell from this angle, but, it looks like your feet arent angled out far enough so your knees dont track wide enough.. this would likely solve the minute lack of depth. Did you ever feel pinchng at the crease when your in the bottom position (pinching psoas most likely).... If so, its too narrow and restricting depth... also, if you get into a bottom position and hold your arms wide with palms pressed, your knees should be spread wide enough to fit your elbows between them (thereabouts)

I think you may be doing a more higher bar, narrow stanced, quad dominant, more OLY type stance... without other views its hard to say.