Is there any downside to low-carb diets?

Options
I've been doing Dukan diet (Low-carb, High-Protein) recently, which is working great. But I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages to LCHP diets. I consume about 500 calories a day and workout for a solid 20 minutes a day. The calorie intake feels WAY too low. So I wonder: Does the absence of carbs put my metabolism to a halt? Do my organs take a beating? Is it a realistic way of eating for the rest of my life? Answers very much appreciated.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just wrong all the way around. Not eating carbs doesn't make you lose weight, being in a calorie deficit does. Now being in a huge calorie deficit that won't even support organ function is not the way to lose weight and maintain your health. You're undereating by at least 1200 calories a day not even counting your exercise.

Your "diet" is extremely unhealthy and definitely unsustainable. Let us know when your hair starts to fall out.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You're only eating 500 calories a day? Yes, there is absolutely something wrong with that.

You should be worried about the absence of calories. :noway:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    A 22 year old male eating 500 calories a day with only 12 kg to lose? AND exercising??

Yes, your calorie intake is way too low!

How much does MFP tell you to eat? Because I bet its closer to 2,000 cals after exercise.
  • Pulvermos
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. I kinda thought it seemed crazy myself. It's obviously taking a toll on my body. It's just that I've been off carbs for so long that I'm scared that I'll put weight back on if I start eating carbs again. I'm looking for a fast way to lose the last pounds and LCHP diet seemed like the best choice. I'm freaking tired of it, though.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    500 cals every day is way too low.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets, when not done correctly, can really be harmful. Eating 500 calories a day is not doing it correctly.

When done correctly there is nothing wrong with eating according to a low carb diet. If you want to stay low carb check out these resources below:

www.reddit.com/r/keto

www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

If you don't want to stay low carb, you still need to increase your calories. Find a TDEE calculator and calculate what you need and eat at TDEE-20%.
  • Pulvermos
    Options
    A 22 year old male eating 500 calories a day with only 12 kg to lose? AND exercising??

How much does MFP tell you to eat? Because I bet its closer to 2,000 cals after exercise.
    '

MFP recomends 1650 calories. So...... Giant deficit.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

'

The 1650 already includes the deficit you need. I would absolutely eat more than what you are. You will gain a few lbs initially when you increase your cals just from replenishing your glycogen stores but don't let that scare you, you'll be better off in the long term.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    how many grams of carbs were you typically eating a day?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I have over 500 calories for breakfast! Up your calories dear! One of the downsides I've noticed is that every so often I'll get a funny feeling in my body, like I'm shaky and almost feel faint, but I think that can be attributed to other factors and this doesn't happen often. I'm also doing ketogenic, which is high fat, rather than high protein. Maybe give that a go?
  • dannatona
    dannatona Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The downside to a low-carb diet is you have to consistently eat low carbs (and stay at a very low calorie intake, in your case) in order for the 'diet' to continue working. If this isn't the way you want to live the rest of your life, then stop. You should be eating a healthy balance diet, start looking into macros (figure out what works best for your body, not another persons). The goal isn't to find a diet that works for you, it's to start eating healthy and clean, and exercising well, for the rest of your life. Get some more carbs and calories in you, keep the high protein, keep exercising, and you'll get the results you want and you're gonna feel great!
  • Pulvermos
    Options

'

The 1650 already includes the deficit you need. I would absolutely eat more than what you are. You will gain a few lbs initially when you increase your cals just from replenishing your glycogen stores but don't let that scare you, you'll be better off in the long term.

Ok. See, that scares me. Any pounds added just devastates me. Thanks for the answer, though.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke?

22 year old male, 20 ish pounds to lose, 500 calories and exercise every day...how have you not collapsed/fainted yet?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    But I'm wondering if there are any disadvantages to LCHP diets.

Hell, yeah. Try running a competitive 10km several times a week on a low carb diet.

Combined with a large caloric deficit, you can get into all kinds of trouble, because fuel has to come from *somewhere* and fat stores can only provide it at slow rate.
  • Pulvermos
    Options
    Is this a joke?

22 year old male, 20 ish pounds to lose, 500 calories and exercise every day...how have you not collapsed/fainted yet?

I get dizzy a lot actually. I've been ignoring it since the results have been so great. I'm not trolling you guys, I'm being honest.
  • richardheath
    Options

'

Yeah. Giant!

Eat more. You will have much more energy, and feel so much better. And maybe prevent your hair falling out and other side effects of malnutrition.

Low carb isn't necessarily bad, but low calorie (that low, certainly) can be. 500 cals is below the medically supervised 700 cal diet that should be monitored by a Doctor for extreme weight loss if you have tons to lose. So, unless you were put on this diet by a Dr, and are being supervised, it is WAY too low calorie.

Don't be surprised if you put on a few pounds when you start eating again though. Your glycogen stores are very likely depleted. Glycogen is the "immediate use" energy store in your muscles, but also has a significant amount of water associated with it.

Either simply follow MFP's guidelines, and aim for about 0.5 to 1.0 lb per week loss, or figure out your TDEE and eat that minus 10 to 20%. After a while, your body will re-adjust, and you will lose weight.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke?

I get dizzy a lot actually. I've been ignoring it since the results have been so great. I'm not trolling you guys, I'm being honest.

Don't ignore that! That's a big sign that what you're doing IS NOT healthy. Please up your calories. As long as you eat in a deficit, you will continue to lose. I've been eating 1400-1600 calories a day on keto, and since July, I've gone down over 20 lbs! And I was at a semi-healthy weight to begin with. If I can do it at the amount I eat, so can you!

Eating so little can damage your insides. Don't risk it.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke?

:huh:

If you're not trolling, get professional help.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    low carb diets suck donkey c!$& if you're at all active or competitive. Lifting weights, running, cycling, swimming...you pretty much suck at all of them when you're low carbing. Also, 500 calories is like...way not enough and will cause far more issues than low carbing.

I'm 39 and 5'10" and lost weight easily grossing around 2100 - 2200 calories per day with moderate exercise.
  • richardheath
    Options
    Ok. See, that scares me. Any pounds added just devastates me. Thanks for the answer, though.

Don't be scared - it is water. The goal here is to lose FAT, right? So who cares about water weight? It fluctuates daily any way.
This discussion has been closed.