Need some ideas on how to unwind

Options
So I've come to the realization that I drink too much alcohol. I love to put the kids to bed and then unwind watching my DVR'd shows and drinking a mixed drink. I think by doing this, I am sabotaging my weight loss. So I wanted to see if anyone else has been here and if you all had some ideas on how to unwind at the end of the night? Thanks :)

Replies

• eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    bump for insight
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me! Mixed drink, wine or beer I'll drink it lol
    I simply TRY to save calories for it, especially if I am having a bad day (though sometimes we don't know how bad our day is until we are home with the kids). If I cannot prepare for it then I cut back - a smaller glass of wine, one beer instead of two, change my mixers up (juice will kill your calories)......
    Or. my exercise cals can but used up this way too....I'm not going to quit drinking and be a stressed out maniac so I make it work.
    Cheers! :drinker:
  • runningvegan
    Options
    I like to do yoga after the kids are in bed, but I'm usually pretty sore from sitting slumped over in a cubicle all day.

If you really want to quit and not just work it into your calories, then the key is probably to find something to do instead of just sitting watching TV. Get active, take up knitting while watching your shows...just find something you like to do to distract you.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    There are many right answers to your question, and you can experiment to find what works for you. I have a mixed drink if I want, inside my calorie goals. Many people will rightly think that this is a waste of calories on something lacking nutrition, however it doesn't seem to be hurting me. I am healthy and experiencing good success at losing weight. I also enjoy caffeine free tea. Sleepy Time is a personal favorite. Good luck in finding a routine you enjoy that allows you to stay on track.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I also noticed I was drinking too much in the evenings, too many nights in a row. Yep, didn't help my weight loss, either. Things I now use to unwind in the evening are a good book and some hot herb tea, or sometimes the tea with a knitting project. I usually do some good stretching exercises beforehand, just because it feels so good. You're aware of what you're doing; that's a healthy sign.