Paleo or no?

Options
Hi,
I tried living the paleo lifestyle (http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/) about a year ago and I found that it worked really well for me but I found it to be a little tough on the finances. Is anyone else eating primal? If so, is it working for you and do you have any tips on being budget friendly with this life style change?

Replies

• iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a few months, but it wreaked havoc on my digestive system so I quit it and now I'm on the other side of the spectrum and eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet that agrees with my body a lot better :) It was expensive eating primal as well, and realistically it wouldn't have been doable long term, even without the side effects I had developed.
  • StephElizabeth88
    StephElizabeth88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I love the idea of all the protein on paleo but it's the stuff like having to be grass fed organic beef and clarified ghee butter that really throws me. I would LOVE to be able to eat like that but I just don't make enough money to be able to afford to.. What kind of digestive issues did you have? It actually improved some of my digestive issues while on it and definitely helped with bloating.
  • StephElizabeth88
    Options
    I guess no one else is going Paleo...
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    cant you modify it to suit your own needs??
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    It's not NECESSARY for health or weight loss...why not do what works for you?
  • Kristine_7707
    Options
    It's not NECESSARY for health or weight loss...why not do what works for you?

This^^ It's all about creating a caloric deficit. Paleo is expensive but you can moderate it to your lifestyle.
  • StephElizabeth88
    Options
    Yeah see every time I went on a Paleo forum and discussed buying frozen veggies over fresh and regular ground beef I was like attacked my negativity. I just wanted to see if anyone else was following a modified version and it still was working for them.
  • iechick
    Options
    I tried it for a few months, but it wreaked havoc on my digestive system so I quit it and now I'm on the other side of the spectrum and eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet that agrees with my body a lot better :) It was expensive eating primal as well, and realistically it wouldn't have been doable long term, even without the side effects I had developed.

TMI lol- bloating, a lot of gas that had a sick smell to it and then the bad breath and body odor started-also not a 'normal' smell but a sick/dead animal smell (reminded me of when a mouse has been in a trap for days and it gets that rotting smell). It got so bad people started commenting on what was that smell and I was mortified to realize that it was me! I also had trouble sleeping and started feeling lethargic and run down all the time. After about three months I had to stop.
  • StephElizabeth88
    Options

TMI lol- bloating, a lot of gas that had a sick smell to it and then the bad breath and body odor started-also not a 'normal' smell but a sick/dead animal smell (reminded me of when a mouse has been in a trap for days and it gets that rotting smell). It got so bad people started commenting on what was that smell and I was mortified to realize that it was me! I also had trouble sleeping and started feeling lethargic and run down all the time. After about three months I had to stop.

Oh my gosh! Maybe I will just go ahead and modify it for me then.. I bet that was horrible!
  • iechick
    Options

Oh my gosh! Maybe I will just go ahead and modify it for me then.. I bet that was horrible!

It was definitely quite an experiment lol. Afterwards I ended up going to the other extreme and went vegetarian for a couple months. Then after doing some more reading about food/nutrition and how it relates to good/bad health, I've now modified my diet to a mostly whole foods, plant based diet but now eat meat, dairy and non-whole foods in moderation. So technically I think I'd be called a Flexitarian. So far it's working really well and I love eating this way-cheap too lol. And I've actually had some more weight loss even though I'm in maintenance. Go figure :tongue:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think whole natural foods is a great idea. But one doesn't have to at Paleo or primal to eat whole natural foods. And the only advantage I've heard that grass fed beef has over grain fed,antibiotic and steroid free beef is the amount of omega-3 fat. I can beat that by eating salmon once a week. I do buy grass fed when I can find it at a decent price, but honestly it doesn't taste as good as grain fed. It has a gamey taste that takes a little more cooking finesse.

But I would never consider Paleo just because of the silly rule re: legumes. Legumes are healthy food. Really healthy food. I'd give up meat before I'd give up legumes. I eat them every day.
  • agentventi
    agentventi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am mainly paleo. I enjoy the foods but def have modified it to fit my budget.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't see a point in cutting out foods that I enjoy eating when I can eat whatever I want, maintain a calorie deficit, and still lose weight.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    What is Paleo?? Like Italian food??
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I don't see a point in cutting out foods that I enjoy eating when I can eat whatever I want, maintain a calorie deficit, and still lose weight.

and your farts still stink!

win/win/win
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Is anyone else eating primal? If so, is it working for you and do you have any tips on being budget friendly with this life style change?

Crickets are free and a great source of protein.
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i say do whatever you want...if you want to eat paleo, but buy frozen veggies or maybe non organic meat go for it. its jsut some diet someone made up at some point...make up your own diet and name it after yourself! :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

and your farts still stink!

win/win/win

There isn't enough bleach in the world to help you today....

Don't come crying to me later.