Shoes for winter running

Options
I am going to be running outside this winter. In the past I just wore my road running shoes and double socks. This time I'm thinking of trail running shoes and Gore Tex.

So - opinions on shoes for winter running-

1. What do you think about wearing trail shoes for training through the winter on roads with snow and ice. THe specific shoes I'm looking at are La Sportiva Wildcats and Saucony Razor 2.0

2. What do you think about Gore Tex for winter running?

Thanks!

Related reviews!!

http://www.runblogger.com/2010/01/gear-review-la-sportiva-wildcat-gtx.html

http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteController/saucony/Women'sRazor2.0/4-108180/catId/cat10002/stockNumber/10129-1/skuId/***4********10129-1*M120/subCatId/cat700256/showDefaultOption/true/productdetails

Replies

• trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I assume you have tried both of those shoes and aren't choosing them solely on reviews! I won't comment on the shoes since it is such an individual thing but I will tell you that I HATE the gore tex shoes (and I run in the snow). I don't like them because my feet get too hot. Plus my favorite shoes don't come in gore tex :happy:

It's cold where I am, and my feet can get wet and/or I can get snow in my shoes. To combat getting cold feet, I wear wool running socks and I will wear short, lightweight gaiters in the snow. I can't remember my feet ever getting too cold as long as I am moving. I think that, for me, the primary thing is the wool socks. No need to wear two pairs; they still insulate when wet and they also drain fast.

FWIW, I will run down to about 5 degrees F. Below that and I will choose to do yoga that day!
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I wore my Mizuno Trail shoe with ice Grippers and Smart Wool Socks feet never got cold once and I never slipped once, I live in the Canadian a Rockies and it was cold and snowy here.
  • LazyGuy91
    LazyGuy91 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I only use Gore Tex when hiking or walking through snow ... otherwise just regular running shoes with a Wigwam sock.

The Saucony trail runners I have (which is basically just a regular running shoe) work well for me on all surfaces, but b/c of the mesh I have to make sure I keep moving b/c the minute you stop you feel the cold.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on shoes, but I would suggest you invest in a good pair of merino wool socks to keep your feet warm if you haven't already.
  • fashionosack
    Options
    Yes, I like to run, I think it can bring me a lot, I can wholeheartedly relax, thank you!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    My feet sweat and itch in wool. I love drymax cold weather socks, toasty warm dry feet.