Front Squat/Push Press

Options
I gave it my first try today and I am pretty sure I did it completely wrong. My upper arms are suppose to be parallel to the ground? I couldn't do that. The bar is suppose to roll to my finger tips? I couldn't do that. Here is a video of my terrible form. Do you know of anything lighter I can use? I think I can improve my form if I dropped the weight down but I am already doing just the bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3bBqV0QoSc

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    First off, they're called Thrusters. Yes I agree that your form is horrific (sorry!) I'd suggest getting an aluminum training bar. They usually weigh around 15 lbs
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Would they have those at Big 5 or ****s? I have very limited equipment at home.
  • walleyclan1
    Options
    Holy cow those things are expensive!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Holy cow those things are expensive!

Yep

Another option would be to get a standard barbell. You can get them @ Sports Authority for around $40. Problem is a Standard bar only hold weights with a 1" hole
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You can probably pick up a used standard at a used sporting goods store or through craigslist or ebay fairly cheap. Additionally, you should focus on your general mobility.
  • walleyclan1
    Options
    How much does a standard weigh?
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    How much does a standard weigh?
    My old one weighs about 10lbs.

A clean rack for front squat takes a bit of mobility. When I first tried them, I held the bar similarly to how you do. This is an old training video of front squats I did last year. There is no press, it's just front squats but I'm using the clean rack. You can see how my upper arms are (more or less) parallel to the floor. When my elbows drop my chest drops and it's harder to complete the lift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_hK2AmGcdI
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think the weight of the bar is your problem. In fact, I would go as far as to say that you could probably go heavier, to solve some of the issues.

Firstly, you are gripping the bar in your hands, and supporting it with your wrists, the weight should actually be supported on your shoulders\chest, when this happens the bar can roll to your fingertips, as the arms\wrists\hands are not supporting it.

As you come up from the squat, drive up hard and fast, so that when you hit the top and stop, the bar keeps going due to the momentum, only after this point start pushing with your arms. If you try and press it sooner, you will take away all the power from the legs. Also be aware that when you do this, you'll need to pull your head back/look up slightly, or you risk smacking yourself in the chin with the bar!

One final point, if you go up on your toes through momentum, don't worry about it too much, but don't purposefully or consciously try to do this. The reason being that going up on tip toe moves your weight forward, which will move the bar forward, when you go back down on flat foot as you press the bar out fully, the bar will be in front of you. When it's light, you will get away with pulling it back, when you get to heavier weights, this will become much harder and eventually impossible.

I'd also get your squat rack set a bit higher, and get used to lifting the bar off with it already in the right place, as all the manipulation and manoeuvring after you de-rack the bar is not good, and not possible when the weight gets really heavy.

Hope this helps, if anything doesn't make sense, just ask.