Hiking the App. Trail

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
So, since I've been feeling better and better, and I'm slowly starting to get in better shape, I figured I'd do something fun for my vacation this year. I've only ever gone on short hikes (over a mountain and back... something that could be done in a day). And I figure that getting water, some MRE's, and walking is going to be a lot cheaper than going to somewhere where drinks have little umbrellas.

I've never gone on a big hike like this before... right now we're planning on leaving on a saturday, and hiking until the following saturday. We're trying to figure out which portion of the trail we're interested in - we want something that is moderately difficult, rocky terrain, mild rock climbing, and mountainous hiking, but also has some quiet serene woodsy areas too.

Any of you experienced with the trail who can make some reccomendations? I've heard there are rest areas along the way, do they have fresh water? Are there places to get fresh water along the way or streams or anything?

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    So, since I've been feeling better and better, and I'm slowly starting to get in better shape, I figured I'd do something fun for my vacation this year. I've only ever gone on short hikes (over a mountain and back... something that could be done in a day). And I figure that getting water, some MRE's, and walking is going to be a lot cheaper than going to somewhere where drinks have little umbrellas.

I've never gone on a big hike like this before... right now we're planning on leaving on a saturday, and hiking until the following saturday. We're trying to figure out which portion of the trail we're interested in - we want something that is moderately difficult, rocky terrain, mild rock climbing, and mountainous hiking, but also has some quiet serene woodsy areas too.

Any of you experienced with the trail who can make some reccomendations? I've heard there are rest areas along the way, do they have fresh water? Are there places to get fresh water along the way or streams or anything?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I've not done it except for day hiking, but a great book is

"A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. :flowerforyou:

Layer up, and keep your pack light!
  • Julie1984
    Julie1984 Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi, my boyfriend is planning to thru-hike the AT next year and talks about it all the time so I know a bit about the trail. Most shelters don't have running water, but there is usually a stream nearby that you can get water from. Of course, you have to sterilize it before drinking it. Be aware that most of the shelters are little more than sort of a small lean-to, meant to offer some protection from the elements. Sometimes they have fire pits and a privy. I'm not sure which part of the trail to recommend, but you might try calling or emailing the ATC for some recommendations. Here's a link to the website, which has a "contact us" link at the bottom.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.1423119/k.BEA0/Home.htm

"A Walk In the Woods" is a pretty good book, and very easy reading. Have fun!
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    I think the best advice I can give you is start small and work your way up. If you aren't an avid hiker, the AT will kick your butt. Make sure you start hiking a couple months in advance, just so your body starts adapting to the unique stresses that moutain hiking puts on it. If not, you are in for (ALOT) of sore muscles, and 7 days out in the woods is a long time when your body is seriously fatigued. :wink:

The backbacking I have done on the AT is actually pretty nice. There are ample places to camp, rest, etc (some trails even have trail stores every few miles or so). It's pretty easy to find trail maps, and most have recommendations for where to stop for the night etc.

In any event, I am proud of you for undertaking an AT hike! It's challenging, and very fun. Make sure you keep a trail diary, and then when you get back you can share your adventure with us! Keep us updated! :bigsmile:
  • msarro
    Options
    Thanks guys! We're planning to start doing weekend hiking/camping trips to get used to it, including some small weekend forays into the trail just to scout it out and get an idea what we're in for.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I've not done it except for day hiking, but a great book is

"A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. :flowerforyou:

Layer up, and keep your pack light!

Stop thinking my thoughts!

That is one of the best books ever.
  • msarro
    Options
    Just ordered a cheap copy off of amazon, should be here in a few days!