Filling snack ideas needed!

Options
Hey guys. I am on my feet all the time... working anywhere from 8 to 17 hour shifts (sometimes more), barely getting to rest/sit down/sleep, and always on the go. I work 60-80 hour weeks so I don't get much time at home to cook or to eat well, to say the least.

I need some snack ideas to help hold me over in between meals that aren't too calorie heavy. I am STARVING sometimes because it might be 12+ hours in between my lunch and dinner, or breakfast and eventually... dinner. Apples and yogurt have been my go-to lately but they don't last long. I need fiber rich ideas that are quick and tasty.

For the record, I am allergic to peanut butter and peanuts. So nothing can contain that. And I don't have access to a blender or have time to prepare anything at either of my jobs. At home is one thing... but I need on-the-go quick ideas for holding me over on my shifts until I can sit down and have a meal!

Does anybody think that putting extra fiber in my beverages may help? I have to use Benefiber in my drinks to up my fiber intake as per my doctor, so I'm wondering maybe if that can help. Any ideas are awesome!

Replies

• BlackRose278
    BlackRose278 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think the best idea would be some protein bars, or even if you bring some cheese slices with cold cuts to fill you up. What I do when i'm hungry at work is get freeze-dried fruit. 4 packets of them (I eat the Evolution fruit packets) are equal to 4 servings of fruit. And there are varieties of the fruit. They are filling and can hold you over for a couple hours.

I hope I helped
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Bananas for fiber-rich snacks -- can you eat tree nuts? You could sub almond or other tree-nut butter for some filling fat and protein (but be careful of the amount) on whole grain bread -- one slice of bread, a tablespoon of nut butter, and a sliced banana should fill you up for a while for about 300 calories, depending on the bread, type of nut butter, and size of the banana.

Add fiber to your yogurt by mixing in some raw, plain, rolled oats (old-fashioned or quick, not instant), berries or other fruit, and tree nuts if you can have them.

Canned or dried beans cooked with onions and your favorite herbs and spices (I like garlic and bay leaf, or cumin if I'm going for a chili flavor), adding peppers, tomatoes, maybe carrots toward the end of cooking if you're using dried beans. Make a big batch on the weekend and you have snacks for the week. Top the beans with chicken or other protein of your choice, and/or low- or nonfat sour cream, yogurt, or cheese (or full fat if you want, but you said you wanted ideas that aren't calorie heavy), and if you want you could pack an ounce or so of corn tortilla chips or a small soft tortilla (but the calories and fat on these vary wildly, so read the label before purchasing).

ETA: You can mix up the oats-yogurt-fruit-nuts mixture before heading off to work, or even before going to sleep the evening before (or whatever time you go to sleep -- sounds like you maybe aren't working a typical daytime shift).
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Oh, I wish I liked the foods you posted. I only eat bananas mixed in with other things... like a smoothie or yogurt. Bananas by themselves gross me out from the texture. :( I think I can try tree-nuts. I never tried it before. And I have tried apple butter before from a local farm and loved it. That's a good idea!

I never thought of oats but I do use an organic granola mix that has some fiber in it. And like I said, I try to cut up bananas and put them in my yogurt as well! I have frozen strawberries that I use specifically for yogurts and smoothies. :)

I never thought of the cooked beans. Like I said, I work very off hours and maybe have a few hours out of the week to myself, so when I cook... it's very rare. I have to cut into sleep time in order for me to cook or clean, so usually my meals at home are cooked by the boyfriend, we order out, or it's a crockpot thing so I have little to no work to do, lol! I will definitely keep that in mind! Maybe I can make some turkey or chicken chili and portion it out, then freeze it so I have a quick microwaveable snack!

And you're right... one job is overnights, or afternoon and overnight combined... and the other is a daytime job. I'm all over! But your ideas are fantastic!

Blackrose, thank you! I always buy lunch meats for sandwiches and end up wasting a lot of it because I never eat all of it. Now I can make those snacks. :)
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Get some snacks that offer you a large portion size...popcorn is one! Depending on which one you select - a serving could be as much as 4 cups which is very decent!

I also snack on these mini edamame crackers I get from Trader Joe's - a serving size is 36 of them!
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    i use the Fiber one bars..there are a lot of dfferent ones and ususally are only 90-110 calories and the best part is you get some chocolate...and popcorn does work pretty well.
  • cmarcorded
    cmarcorded Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I buy bags of frozen shelled edamame - cook a bunch for the week and snack on it at work. It's great with just a little salt or garlic salt :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    "I never thought of the cooked beans. Like I said, I work very off hours and maybe have a few hours out of the week to myself, so when I cook... it's very rare. I have to cut into sleep time in order for me to cook or clean, so usually my meals at home are cooked by the boyfriend, we order out, or it's a crockpot thing so I have little to no work to do, lol! I will definitely keep that in mind! Maybe I can make some turkey or chicken chili and portion it out, then freeze it so I have a quick microwaveable snack! "

You should be able to make beans in a crock pot. They really don't take much attention, just rinse them while looking for "foreign matter" (I think I've found one stone in about 20 years of cooking beans, so this part of the directions on the bag always seems a little silly, but I do it) and toss them in with water. If you want to keep it easy you don't need to add anything, but I really think bay leaf adds a lot, and it's not like you need to prep the bay leaf. Maybe a splash of vinegar or hot sauce at the end.

Or you could just buy canned beans -- still pretty cheap if you buy store brand or find them on sale, and you can usually find low or no sodium if that's a concern.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    I buy bags of frozen shelled edamame - cook a bunch for the week and snack on it at work. It's great with just a little salt or garlic salt :)

Yes! Edamame are a great snack.
  • ChelseaM8726
    Options
    Bananas for fiber-rich snacks -- can you eat tree nuts? You could sub almond or other tree-nut butter for some filling fat and protein (but be careful of the amount) on whole grain bread -- one slice of bread, a tablespoon of nut butter, and a sliced banana should fill you up for a while for about 300 calories, depending on the bread, type of nut butter, and size of the banana.

Add fiber to your yogurt by mixing in some raw, plain, rolled oats (old-fashioned or quick, not instant), berries or other fruit, and tree nuts if you can have them.

Canned or dried beans cooked with onions and your favorite herbs and spices (I like garlic and bay leaf, or cumin if I'm going for a chili flavor), adding peppers, tomatoes, maybe carrots toward the end of cooking if you're using dried beans. Make a big batch on the weekend and you have snacks for the week. Top the beans with chicken or other protein of your choice, and/or low- or nonfat sour cream, yogurt, or cheese (or full fat if you want, but you said you wanted ideas that aren't calorie heavy), and if you want you could pack an ounce or so of corn tortilla chips or a small soft tortilla (but the calories and fat on these vary wildly, so read the label before purchasing).

ETA: You can mix up the oats-yogurt-fruit-nuts mixture before heading off to work, or even before going to sleep the evening before (or whatever time you go to sleep -- sounds like you maybe aren't working a typical daytime shift).

GREAT SNACK IDEAS!! THANKS!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I keep a can of raw unsalted almonds in the car to chew on during my commute. Fiber + Protein + Good fats make it a good way of keeping the tank full. Also drink lots of water because there is such a thing as too much nuts.

Also, greek yogurt with granola is awesome.

I was reading something about pineapples and asparagus but I think those are impractical for snacks....
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    No need to snack if you ate properly on your lunch break.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is awesome. So filling for 80 calories and 13g of protein.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars are really good and filling.
    What about a bagel with some kind of spread? You could have half one part in day and half other part in day.
    Also agree with the fiber one (I hate the bars, but LOVE the cereals!)