Hi from Australia

Options
Hi all, I am Pete and I live in glorious Australia!
Well, I have been overweight my entire life pretty much, had very conflicted parents who were often absent and use to fill me and my brother up on take away and sugary foods to compensate. I have always been lucky to have a broad frame so many people didn'd actually realise my weight was so high. Before my 40th this year I weighed myself and was horrified to see I had reached 115kg. I scoured the internet for a miracle weight loss cure and began to realise it is all to do with energy in vs energy out. I have a pretty active job but was not greatly active at home and when I was active at home, I would reward myself by eating more....
Since, I have lost a total of 15kg of fat. I joined the gym on my 40th birthday in June and have packed on 5kg of muscle (I know it is muscle and not fat as I have not changed my diet but have been lifting heavy weights and seriously toning up). Ideally I would like to be in the low 90kg range, however I am not sure about body composition etc with the added muscle, so I am just winging it and gaining as much muscle as I can naturally and letting the fat drop off with the lower calorie diet.
many of the personal trainers and "experts" at the gym have told me it is impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, especially when you hit 40, well I am proving them wrong!
I certainly don't want to sound like I am bragging but I am happy with how far I have come and know I have a long journey ahead.
It's great to read everyone elses's stories on here!

Pete

Replies