Craving carbs too much!

I am trying to cut back on carbs. What I reall ymen, is cut back on breads. I do tend to eat mostly whole grains but I can't seem to kick the habbit of a bagel or toast for breakfast. I am not a picky eater so I thought it would be easy. I was wrong!

Any suggestions how to curb the desire for breads?

And to add a bit of important information....I have hypothyroidism.

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Why do you feel the need to stop eating bread? Why describe it as a "habit" that should be "kicked?" I am eating toast as I type this. Roma Honey Wheat Nugget. I don't eat it every morning because some mornings I have hash browns instead. But either way, I'm never gonna start my day without some kind of carbs.
  • jppark
    jppark Posts: 8 Member
    I have been doing the same lately, cutting carbs. It is really hard because I think our bodies are addicted to sugar somehow. The first couple of days I dont eat carbs at all I get really bad headaches. I have switched to eating some cottage cheese with peanut butter and pumpkin pie spice or Mrs. Dash, some meat and cheese. Good luck and just keep up with it. You arent going to starve to death. Just make sure you are drinking more water too.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Why cut carbs? :noway:
    It's unnecessary, unless you have a medical condition.

No reason whatsoever to cut carbs, and nothing wrong with bagel or toast
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Why do you feel the need to stop eating bread? Why describe it as a "habit" that should be "kicked?" I am eating toast as I type this. Roma Honey Wheat Nugget. I don't eat it every morning because some mornings I have hash browns instead. But either way, I'm never gonna start my day without some kind of carbs.

Thank you. I should provide some more information. I wrote my question quickly! I have hypothyroidism and so I am even slower to digest (and ultimately use) simple carbohydrates. I understand the need for carbs and would like to be able to ensure that I reduce the number of simple carbs in exchange for healthier complex carbs.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    I LOVE CARBS!
    they are my fuel!
    I do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day
    I NEED THAT FUEL!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    I LOVE CARBS!
    they are my fuel!
    I NEED THAT FUEL!

Beer being the perfect carb yes? :drinker:
  • Sharon_73
    I LOVE CARBS!
    they are my fuel!
    I NEED THAT FUEL!

Beer being the perfect carb yes? :drinker:

Perfect!!! :o)
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    I'm always still learning but, aren't whole grains considered complex carbs? I also have hypothyroidism and was never told I needed to cut back on carbs, just try for more whole grains instead.
  • Sharon_73
    I'm always still learning but, aren't whole grains considered complex carbs? I also have hypothyroidism and was never told I needed to cut back on carbs, just try for more whole grains instead.

Whole grains are complex carbs. UNfortunately I tend, though to go for the sesame seed bagel and not the multi grain. I am still learning this as well only having been diagnosed this summer.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Okay, we get it peeps love their bread. You are eating toast, loving bagels, digging on sammies as you respond. Good for all of you...

Personally, I found that in order to stop my cravings for bread, which lead to overeating of bread, and overeating in general, for me...I cut them out. Not forever, but for a significant amount of time. Bagels are crack, by the way! Good nummy, crack! My suggestion to you is to eat more protein - it fills you up, keeps your hunger at bay longer, and general, if eating lean, can be less calories. Then start adding back complex carbs.

The easiest way to understand this is to go to the glycemic index (http://www.glycemicindex.com). It is not a perfect tool but it will give you a score on how quickly your blood sugar rises after eating foods. Again, this is NOT perfect, but the score will tell you the difference between eating a bagel, a piece of wheat bread, cottage cheese, or an egg. Then you decide.
  • LarryLaird
    LarryLaird Posts: 94 Member
    Carbs are carbs are carbs. Get an educated goal and stay with it. Everybody is not the same. You will be fine.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    yes we can all eat whatever we like blah blah blah

But to answer your question, just don't buy any :)

I would live off grilled cheese sandwiches if I bought bread, so I just don't buy it anymore.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member

Whole grains are complex carbs. UNfortunately I tend, though to go for the sesame seed bagel and not the multi grain. I am still learning this as well only having been diagnosed this summer.

Ah ok! My doc was highly uninformative when I was diagnosed but I got a little good information (I hope) from a nutritionist. Mostly that if you trade in good stuff for bad stuff your better off and everything in moderation. Maybe try something that has smaller portions? Like mini bagels. I don't think anything (except processed junk food) is bad for the body, weight loss or not.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Okay, we get it peeps love their bread. You are eating toast, loving bagels, digging on sammies as you respond. Good for all of you...

Personally, I found that in order to stop my cravings for bread, which lead to overeating of bread, and overeating in general, for me...I cut them out. Not forever, but for a significant amount of time. Bagels are crack, by the way! Good nummy, crack! My suggestion to you is to eat more protein - it fills you up, keeps your hunger at bay longer, and general, if eating lean, can be less calories. Then start adding back complex carbs.

This^^

People treat bread like their children and get so weird when anyone says they'd like to give it up. I gave it up in May and couldn't be happier. I still occasionally indulge, but rarely. I was a bread/cracker/pasta queen! However, since I gave it up, I'm 12 lbs lighter, not hungry (I was starving constantly on my bread rich diet), and don't have the sugar/bread cravings I used to have. I eat more fruit and veggies now--gotta have something to dip in the hummus (veggies not fruit).

IMO, if you want to give it up you have to give it up. Completely. If I eat a little, I just want more and more. I simply have to avoid it all together. The first couple weeks sucked, but I feel great now and really don't miss bread at all. Getting ready to have some bacon and eggs which is way more satisfying than a bagel for breakfast.
  • WendyTerry420

Thank you. I should provide some more information. I wrote my question quickly! I have hypothyroidism and so I am even slower to digest (and ultimately use) simple carbohydrates. I understand the need for carbs and would like to be able to ensure that I reduce the number of simple carbs in exchange for healthier complex carbs.

Oh, ok. But bread is a actually a complex carbohydrate. (fyi)
  • WendyTerry420

QFT
  • jayrudq
    Saying bread is a complex carbohydrate is really saying nothing at all. What kind of bread? Wonder Bread? Ezekiel? They could not be more different in terms of carbohydrate amount per serving or fiber, or for that matter, they don't share a single ingredient. And whole wheat is often a misnomer for food coloring and sugar...not all bread is made alike! If you read the ingredient label and see the amount of carbohydrate grams and fiber grams, as well as sugar, you will get a better idea of its "complexity."
    Complex carbohydrates take longer to digest and do not raise blood sugar levels as high as simple carbohydrates. That is a fact. It is called the glycemic index. I have already stated, for those of you who boo hoo it, it is not perfect. But it will give a person, who is interested, a general idea of the "complexity" of the carbohydrate they are eating.

Bread and I are the very best of friends. I love bread. Over chocolate, ice cream, candy. I have to be moderate about it for that reason. What I do eat regularly is a Sprouted Wheat bread from Trader Joes. It is 60 calories a slice and has 6 grams of effective carbohydrates (carbo grams - fiber grams). Had it this morning with peanut butter and bacon. Other mornings is is one piece of toast with a poached egg, a slice of ham and slice of cheese. More protein than carbohydrates...
  • WendyTerry420
    Saying bread is a complex carbohydrate is really saying nothing at all. What kind of bread? Wonder Bread? Ezekiel? They could not be more different in terms of carbohydrate amount per serving or fiber, or for that matter, they don't share a single ingredient. And whole wheat is often a misnomer for food coloring and sugar...not all bread is made alike! If you read the ingredient label and see the amount of carbohydrate grams and fiber grams, as well as sugar, you will get a better idea of its "complexity."
    Complex carbohydrates take longer to digest and do not raise blood sugar levels as high as simple carbohydrates. That is a fact. It is called the glycemic index. I have already stated, for those of you who boo hoo it, it is not perfect. But it will give a person, who is interested, a general idea of the "complexity" of the carbohydrate they are eating.

Bread and I are the very best of friends. I love bread. Over chocolate, ice cream, candy. I have to be moderate about it for that reason. What I do eat regularly is a Sprouted Wheat bread from Trader Joes. It is 60 calories a slice and has 6 grams of effective carbohydrates (carbo grams - fiber grams). Had it this morning with peanut butter and bacon. Other mornings is is one piece of toast with a poached egg, a slice of ham and slice of cheese. More protein than carbohydrates...

All bread is a complex carbohydrate. Simple carbohydrates are basically sugars such as glucose, fructose, lactose, etc.
  • jayrudq
    You are wrong. But that is okay, we can all believe whatever we want to believe. Happy Wonder bread to you and yours.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    I've been eating french toast pretty much every day for the past month. Still losing. Have some carbs, they're delicious. Count your calories, hit your macros, stop over-thinking it.