Cheat Meal or Cheat Day?

Options
Does anyone do this once a week? I used to do this when I was much younger and I was wildly successful at losing weight because of it. I would keep strong and focused all week knowing that I could have a treat if I did. It would help me stay on the diet during the other 6 days. Now that I am over 30 it seems like I am not going to lose any weight if I have a cheat meal. It s the only thing I can think of that is causing my weight loss to be soooo slow. Anyone else do this?:sad:

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    CHEAT WEEKEND!
    I do double all week, and party all weekend
    works for me
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    IIFYM. Look forward to everyday. Make the food you love fit into your daily routine.
    I'm in my 30's. Don't use that as a crutch. Just do it right.

This. Plus, I also look at my weekly totals. My days are never right on the money. Just close. It usually balances out. I'm in my 50s - so don't let age hold you back.

ETA: Try to look at food a little differently. Making food a reward or seeing it as cheating keeps the focus on food all wrong. Eat what you like - just learn to moderate.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    When I first started my journey I did a cheat day or cheat weekend, now I try to do 1 meal a week that's cheat. I'm not really focused on the scale but more on toning my body up, so a cheat meal just keeps me going, I'm able to not deprive myself but still stay on track. I don't cheat bad either, I still plan my cheat for the week and refuse to eat fried anything and still won't drink soda. I'm thinking this week, I want gumbo for a cheat, we'll see.
  • leapsonbounds
    leapsonbounds Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do a reward (not cheat) day on Sundays. I try to stick with the plan as much of the day as possible, but I do look forward to something sweet.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Work the foods you love into your macros on a regular basis, so you don't feel the need to "cheat." Cheat meals can become cheat days, cheat weeks, and cheat months until you're back where you started. If you continue to enjoy life while you're losing weight without "cheating," then you'll form the habits you need to be successful for a lifetime. I've been at this for a couple of years without cheating because nothing is off limits. I enjoy ice cream after dinner every night and french fries once or twice per week all while staying pretty much within my macros for the week.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I track my weight once a week and therefor I have a "weekly" calorie goal.

It helps offset days when I would like to go over my calorie goal. Some days I am over, some days I am under. As long as I have stayed under the weekly calorie goal for the week and stay up on my exercise, I keep losing weight.
  • Healthy_Hunnie
    Healthy_Hunnie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    IIFYM. Look forward to everyday. Make the food you love fit into your daily routine.

This. Plus, I also look at my weekly totals. My days are never right on the money. Just close. It usually balances out. I'm in my 50s - so don't let age hold you back.

Based off of your profile picture, I hope my skin and face looks as young and youthful as you when I am in my 50's. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Cheat everyday IMO. Just make sure it's in moderation. Cheat days/meals can end up being an all out binge for some and if any weight is gained, some feel defeated by it and give up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Over thirty and I cheat all the time :) I wouldn't say a meal or a day....just when the urge hits me.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    I used to, but that lead to cheat weeks, then months, then I gained 80 pounds back. no bueno. I have to be very strict with myself so I can't allow myself any "free for all" meals or days.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Neither. I work the foods I like into my daily life. It's not worth it to me to be super careful all week just to blow it on a meal.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Some people can, some people can't it's a case of trial and error I suppose. I had a cheat week recently.... :blushing:

Look at mah ticker! :bigsmile:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I do a reward (not cheat) day on Sundays. I try to stick with the plan as much of the day as possible, but I do look forward to something sweet.

I wouldn't word it as a reward, because we aren't dogs, we shouldn't reward ourselves with food. I personally call it a cheat because it's 1 meal a week I let myself have something I normally wouldn't and let's call it what it is :)
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I try to go for a cheat meal, however sometimes I just need to feed the soul and will take a weekend off and try not to count calories (but still be sensible)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat meal once a week. Once I hit my goal I will probably do a cheat day.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This. I am in my 30's too.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    No. I do workout extra hard if I know I am going to be going out to eat or having something really yummy. I try to work tasty foods into my daily intake. I have been on so many diets that didn't work that I don't want to screw up this new lifestyle (not a diet :) love that) but honestly I do not miss those dairy queen trips or big mac runs! I have saved a fortune at the grocery store and from not ordering so much when I go out to eat. In fact, this week I am getting a new bike with some of the money I saved. First one in 17 years! so excited and things like that make it worth it!
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    In the past six weeks or so, I've had a cheat meal each weekend. It's typically a buffet (and with a couple bowls of ice cream), so it probably actually becomes a cheat day.

Even with the "cheats," I've lost weight consistently, although once I started getting nearer to my GW, I noticed a bit of a slowdown.
  • sld4063
    sld4063 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am 31 so you are right I can not use my age as a an excuse. Age is all relative, plus I know 31 is considered young still! I LOVE all of your ideas/suggestions and feedback this is wonderful- keep it coming!!!!:smooched: