Snack suggestions to reach my 1200 cal goal

Options
I'm eating about 1200 calories give or take daily right now, but burning about 470 at the gym during the weekdays. I am not really eating those back. But it seems like I should. BUT I tried that a few months ago and I swear I just gained 5+ pounds. But I was eating 100 calorie popcorn, 100 calorie cookie packs, a chocolate bar...not the best stuff.
Anyways, I'm willing to give it another try, but I need suggestions on good things to eat. I was hoping to lose about 2 pounds a week.

For breakfast I almost always have a Nature Valley granola bar, 190 cals

For lunch I am eating a salad most days and chicken or tuna to give me about 300 or so calories. Sometime I have a Lean Cuisine instead.

For an afternoon snack I have been trying to have fruit, usually some kind of melon. This takes up about 130 calories.

For dinner i have chicken or fish + steamed veggies. Or a veggies burger on a wheat bun.

A snack after dinner is usually something sweet. Like an italian ice or Weight Watchers ice cream. 100 calories.

Maybe I need to add a snack mid-morning. More fruit? I dont like yogurt. I could eat a cheese stick. Ideas?

I am 155 pounds and 5'2". I need to drop like 25 pounds at least. And I'm hoping to do it in 2-3 months time.

My weekend diet is a little worse. I am more likely to snack a little more on crackers and stuff... But its not awful. I am trying to be good! I'm not at the gym on the weekends but do try to get some exercise in like a bike ride with the kids, exercise DVD, etc...

Replies

• sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I personally love to have an apple and warm peanut butter (300 cal). I also like to do popcorn and peanut butter.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-dinner-snack. My snacks vary and typically consist of one of the following: fruit (banana, grapes, nectarine, plum, apple, strawberries, etc.), vita muffin vita-tops (many flavors), string cheese, Kashi 7-grain crackers (15=120 cals), mini rice cakes (sweet or salty), fiber-one bars (the 90 cal ones), handful of almonds or pecans, yogurt (I know you don't like this one. lol.), raw carrots and celery with peanut butter or low cal ranch, etc... Good luck to you!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocados. These are all filled with healthy fats and will help you reach 1200 calories without a problem.
  • pmaglio
    pmaglio Posts: 3
    Options
    Baby carrots are great snacks. Pickles are wonderful as they have almost no calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots are great snacks. Pickles are wonderful as they have almost no calories.

Be careful with anything pickled as they contain a ton of sodium which can make you retain water.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    try some healthy fats. Avocado is soooo good for you. I eat a half of one with some brown rice crackers. It helps keep your blood sugars even for hours. Also if my calcium is low just a table spoon of raw sunflower seeds gives you a great calcium boost. I would recommend some good raw nutrious nuts and seeds & dried fruit over the sugary processed granola bars/cookies. The energy from them lasts a lot longer. But way to go, isn't it fun to have left over calories to play with? Worth the burn.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating a much bigger and heartier breakfast, which will set you up for the day, a cereal bar isnt really enough fuel. I enjoy snacks like lean ham or seafood sticks,or rice cakes with a little smoked salmon or low fat cream cheese :)
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :smile: I used to eat snacks like you. I have slowly been changing my eating habits by substituting the processed snacks with fresh fruits and/or veggies. And not really worry about their calories, since the nutritional content is so outstanding. Since then I am feeling great and lose weight as a bonus!!!

Exercising for about 500 calories/weekday is great. I don't see a problem not eating them at this point. I would worry more about getting optimum nutrition for your body. We often over-estimate what we burn, and underestimate what we consume. The body is not very good at metabolizing processed foods!! That is a key piece of advise.

good luck on your journey!! And good for you for asking questions. (My diary is open, so you can check it out)

:heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating a much bigger and heartier breakfast, which will set you up for the day, a cereal bar isnt really enough fuel. I enjoy snacks like lean ham or seafood sticks,or rice cakes with a little smoked salmon or low fat cream cheese :)

Wonderful advice and suggestion!