Please help me do the math :) BMR/TDEE

Options
I've stopped losing weight and its so frustrating so I've been trying to figure out this BMR and TDEE thing :) I'd like to make sure I got things right.
MFP put me on 1200 calories/day.

I did the TDEE calculation online and got
BMR: 1457
TDEE: 2003

With the one where I add how many mins a day I spend with this or that activity I got:
BMR: 1878
TDEE: 1878

So how much should my calorie intake per day be if I want to lose weight?

(I'm 170cm tall, 74kg and 37yrs old.)

Thanks!
Dorothy

Replies

• ashleybr1980
    ashleybr1980 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Try this website. You will need your height, weight, age, activity level, and the % you want to deduct.
    Tdee is what you would eat to maintain.
    Bmr is what the minimum you should eat.
    Daily calories is what you would eat to lose.
    Remember that with Tdee that your exercise is included.

Scoobyworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • b3st
    b3st Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Try this website. You will need your height, weight, age, activity level, and the % you want to deduct.
    Tdee is what you would eat to maintain.
    Bmr is what the minimum you should eat.
    Daily calories is what you would eat to lose.
    Remember that with Tdee that your exercise is included.

Scoobyworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

That would put me at 1554
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I've stopped losing weight and its so frustrating so I've been trying to figure out this BMR and TDEE thing :) I'd like to make sure I got things right.

With the one where I add how many mins a day I spend with this or that activity I got:

Thanks!
    Dorothy

Your BMR is the calories it takes for you to survive in a coma so it shouldn't change based on exercise. You're calculating wrong there somehow..
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    Dorothy

It depends how much weight you want to lose. TDEE-20% is a good goal for most people. If you have a lot to lose, you can take a bigger cut out of TDEE and if you have a little (10lbs or less) you may need to eat closer to your TDEE.
  • dorkamom
    dorkamom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That site put my daily calorie intake at 2924, seems like a lot, I barely make the 1200-1400 (and yes I use a scale).
    With 90mins of cardio and strength training 3x a week why am I not losing then.

I guess I have to keep experimenting. Its weird that when I wasn't counting calories or working out this much I lost weight and now my scale is stuck and won't budge.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Edited to add: I may have misread your activity level before, I thought you were saying you did 90 minutes of cardio and strength combined 3x per week, which would be about 4.5 hours total per week. You may have used a higher activity level depending on how long your strength training sessions are?

I think you may have put a number in wrong on Scooby... I plugged your numbers in and came up with

BMR 1497

TDEE 2321

Daily calories (TDEE-20%) 1856

This is based on your height, weight, age, gender and putting you in the 3-5 hours of activity category
  • dorkamom
    dorkamom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do about 4-5hrs of workout a week.

Thats weird, I had actually put in 1-3hr/w light exercise and it gave me that result (2924)...I redid it and still the same. If I put in 3-5hrs I get an even higher calorie count. Not sure what I'm putting in differently in the calculator.
    1856 sounds better though :)

thank you for your help!