Bulk advice

Options
I know many questions and post have been posted about bulking. But I haven't found the answer I'm look for.

My main focus is to build my butt, and to do that I know I need to be eating at a surplus.
My question is do I cut back on cardio, or keep doing it?
Should I do a 10% or 20% surplus?

Any advice or experience would be great,

Replies

• erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I dunno. People tell me that if you're gonna do cardio AND build your butt, the bike is the way to go. Good luck!
  • b3st
    b3st Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I know many questions and post have been posted about bulking. But I haven't found the answer I'm look for.

My main focus is to build my butt, and to do that I know I need to be eating at a surplus.

You can keep doing cardio, just monitor if you gain or not then adjust but x4 a week is possible
    also to build up your butt get squatting and dead lifting.
  • vinzorelli
    Options
    ^^ what he said. Squat, heavy, *kitten* to grass. Deadlift moderate weight for high volume. And do good mornings with light weights to build up the posterior chain. Drop the cardio and eat just above your maintenance. Monitor with scale under same conditions.
  • MaeRenee94
    Options
    ^^ what he said. Squat, heavy, *kitten* to grass. Deadlift moderate weight for high volume. And do good mornings with light weights to build up the posterior chain. Drop the cardio and eat just above your maintenance. Monitor with scale under same conditions.

I've already been hitting squats and deadlifts hard. I've pretty much got the exercise plan nailed. But than I found this article this morning and I don't know how I feel about doing one of these supersets after a couple workouts throughout the week.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dangerous-curves-get-your-glutes-in-gear-with-supersets.html

My main issue here is that from looking in the mirror and measurements my hammies and quads have gotten bigger (or I've just lost the fat surrounding) so my butt just looks a bit out of proportion. I never have really incorporated a bunch of stuff that isolates the butt so just this week I added in lunges.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can keep doing cardio if you wish, but keep in mind that just means you have to eat even more to be in a surplus. Assuming your maintenance is 1800 cals, so to bulk you should be eating in the 2000-2200 range, if you burn 500 cals in cardio you will now have to eat 2500-2700 cals to gain the same amount.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

You can keep doing cardio, just monitor if you gain or not then adjust but x4 a week is possible
    also to build up your butt get squatting and dead lifting.

I agree with this.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you're interested, there's a group on here dedicated to women bulking: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/16930-women-who-bulk
  • p_carswell
    p_carswell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try squats
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you just eat at a surplus you will gain in more than just your butt. squats and lunges and deadlifts are what you want
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    obviously you want to do your squats, etc.

if you really like cardio, or your smart and you want to do it for heart health, then by all means do so.

but just remember that the goal is to gain and therefore your going to have to eat back those calories and then some to have a surplus.

So becasue of that, many will say its a waste of time. but it is good for your heart.

my best advice (if you stick with cardio) would be to do some HIIT, sprints, or jump roping. Or even cardio dumbell routines. More muscle freindly then jogging or treadmill or any static HR stuff IMO
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Personally I like to change one thing at a time, as it makes it easier to track what changes lead to what. so when bulkin I keep everything the same and just increase my calories
  • MaeRenee94
    Options
    obviously you want to do your squats, etc.

if you really like cardio, or your smart and you want to do it for heart health, then by all means do so.

but just remember that the goal is to gain and therefore your going to have to eat back those calories and then some to have a surplus.

So becasue of that, many will say its a waste of time. but it is good for your heart.

my best advice (if you stick with cardio) would be to do some HIIT, sprints, or jump roping. Or even cardio dumbell routines. More muscle freindly then jogging or treadmill or any static HR stuff IMO

Thank you, this is perfect!

I was planning on doing sprint work at the sports complex near me. And HIIT on the stair stepper.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    1. you need to eat a surplus to build anything if you're not a newb.
    2. So ask yourself how much weight you want to gain?

3. You need to do real work and it's not going to happen overnight.
    4. You also need hip thrust/bridge movements.
    5. Youtube search Bret Contraras. Trust me.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You can keep doing cardio if you wish, but keep in mind that just means you have to eat even more to be in a surplus. Assuming your maintenance is 1800 cals, so to bulk you should be eating in the 2000-2200 range, if you burn 500 cals in cardio you will now have to eat 2500-2700 cals to gain the same amount.

This.

Weighted lunges are solid for glutes. Try doing weight based circuit training for your cardio fix - keeps your heart rate up and is more anti-catabolic than the treadmill.

Also, accept that you will gain some fat while bulking and you are going to have to diet it back off. It's a cyclical thing...

Jay
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    This might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXth0Ab45o0

1st question in the video series :)
  • AbsyPernet
    Options
    If you're interested, there's a group on here dedicated to women bulking: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/16930-women-who-bulk

That's great, thank you :D
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If you really want to work your glutes, in addition to the great exercises already mentioned which were squats, dead lifts, and lunges, barbell glute bridges and hip thrusts will really isolate the glutes. I do either thrusts or bridges before I do anything else. That gets the lazy glute muscles firing (yes they are lazy, big but lazy) so you get them more engaged in the others.

Strong Curves by Bret Contreras (known as the glute master) is an excellent program. Some cardio is fine, walking or jogging will help keep the bottom toned, but if you want to grow those glutes, do the exercises mentioned. :flowerforyou: