Calories vs. Fat Intake

Options
So I was hoping on some advice. I was brought up in the low fat era. Everything seemed to be based upon fat intake. Now I am trying to adjust my thinking to a calorie thinking. My question is this...Which one is more important to watch fat or calories? Should I go ahead and eat that yummy ranch dressing because it fits into my calorie level even though it is loaded in fat? Or should I opt for a low fat version that has lower fat and calories? I hear a lot of people making the speech that low fat and light meals are making us fat but why??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Calories are what counts the most for loosing weight and fat is an essential nutrient needed by the body to function, and depending on the type of fat is actually quite healthy.

Most full fat versions of products are "healthier" than their low fat cousins, although they may not help you loose weight as fast as fat has more calories than carbs or protein. Fat has 9 calories per gram whereas carbs and protein both have 4 calories per gram.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I think both are important to watch. Where people are being fooled is just like you said- if it says low-fat then it must be healthy. When in fact it is stuffed full of calories. Or visa versa. Good fats are something we all need so trying to avoid fat in general/all together may not be the best advice. I would follow a healthy calorie/fat diet. If you are worried about it I owuld ask your PCP. Good luck!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    So, I'm not a nutritionist, but I play one on TV. No, seriously, I do read a lot.

The problem with low-fat food is the additives that make it low-fat. Most of the time they are a disguised (or not disguised) form of sugar or starch. Empty calories.

The other thing is: we do need a small amount of fat in our diet. That being said, we want to (a) keep it on the lower end, and (b) make sure most of it is unsaturated fat. So olive oil is better than butter. But because of trans-fats (think Frankenstein fat), butter is better than most margarines, especially stick margarine. Most fats should be liquid. That is best.

As for the ranch dressing, full fat is fine, but keep the amount minimal. One good trick is to have it on the side and just dip your fork into it before stabbing the salad. That way every bite has a little dressing, but you can eat a big salad and only use 1 tablespoon of dressing. To cut some more calories, try a balsamic vinaigrette. (Actually, I find I'm fine dipping into plain balsamic vinegar!)