Seasonal Affective Disorder

Options

Replies

• sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I continue to spend as much time outside as I do in the warmer months. It might not be as pleasant but forcing myself to do physical activities in sub freezing weather has really helped over the past couple of years.. I really think part of it has something to with feeling like a badass after cross training in snow and walking for 7 miles in 4 degree temp. I have an mfp buddy that would agree with me on that. :wink:

I only start to get really poopy around February now and that is just because winter seems to last forever in Colorado.

ETA: We get a ton of sunshine here all winter long.
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Just fired up my Philips Go Lite lightbox as I read this thread. That combined with Vitamin D supplements, regular exercise and getting outside even when I don't want to (initially) seem to have worked for me last year. I also use a dawn simulator alarm clock...this helps immensely! Also a Philips product (I don't work for them, just happen to buy two of their products related to this!! ;))
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Tanning helps (I usually will cover my face though so I don't look too dark in winter) and joining a gym that has a pool and or sauna helps.
  • KittiesSong
    Options
    Getting out and going for either a jog or walk when I'm feeling really drained really helps. Especially if I can get my blood pumping I'll get a little bit of a buzz that helps me fight off the depression. Still fighting getting up in the mornings though...
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've just started taking vitamin D consistently and running this summer. It will be interesting what effect my new habits will have when time changes.
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Mine kicked in hard a few weeks ago. St Johns Wort, Vit. D, walking outside every day (even when it's below zero here in Mn. ) exercise, and light therapy help, but it never goes away completely. I also get paralyzed by little decisions. Someone else mentioned they can't sit still in the summer. That's me totally. Autumn is such a lovely time, but all I can think about is the big nasty impending winter.
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    After a couple years of feeling depressed all winter I think I have SAD. I am planning on making an appointment with my doctor to discuss as it's not even Thanksgiving and I am feeling it already. In the last two weeks we've had sunny days only twice and I felt great on those days but tired , cranky and depressed on the other days. I get out daily for walks but only after dark now that the sun goes down at 4:30 now.

For those of you who have been diagnosed and use light therapy - was that something that was covered by insurance?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,957 Member
    Options
    Lights and lots of vit D helps my wife.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would be clinicly diagnosed with having SAD, but after reading up on it. I'm pretty sure I'm close. I'm usually good till that first week after New Years. The Holiday socializing is over and then it's dark and cold; and it seems like we're a long way from it getting any better. Almost a hopeless feeling. I start worrying about that 6-8 week stretch during the winter so much I have a hard time enjoying the fall because I know it's coming. I'm so myopic during this time of year I will time the sunset with my watch, and cheer even the slightest gain in daylight. This is inaddition to checking sunrise/sunset tables every few weeks. This lasts until late Feburary or Early March. By that time of the year there's a little daylight left when I get home from work. We get some warmer days, although, like last year; winter always has something left up her sleave until May.

Like others have said. Line-up some fitness goals and work toward them. I have a trail race I need to get ready for in Mid-Feburary, so that will take most of my energy. After that there's an adventure race in April. All this is on top of the other community, kids, and social activities we have going on.

Don't know if my case is severe enough to get the light. But I may look into some Vit D pills during this upcoming season and see if that helps more than my usuall plan for those "Dark Days"
  • lovethee23
    lovethee23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would be clinicly diagnosed with having SAD, but after reading up on it. I'm pretty sure I'm close. I'm usually good till that first week after New Years. The Holiday socializing is over and then it's dark and cold; and it seems like we're a long way from it getting any better. Almost a hopeless feeling. I start worrying about that 6-8 week stretch during the winter so much I have a hard time enjoying the fall because I know it's coming. I'm so myopic during this time of year I will time the sunset with my watch, and cheer even the slightest gain in daylight. This is inaddition to checking sunrise/sunset tables every few weeks. This lasts until late Feburary or Early March. By that time of the year there's a little daylight left when I get home from work. We get some warmer days, although, like last year; winter always has something left up her sleave until May.

Like others have said. Line-up some fitness goals and work toward them. I have a trail race I need to get ready for in Mid-Feburary, so that will take most of my energy. After that there's an adventure race in April. All this is on top of the other community, kids, and social activities we have going on.

Don't know if my case is severe enough to get the light. But I may look into some Vit D pills during this upcoming season and see if that helps more than my usuall plan for those "Dark Days"

Definitely sounds like it hits you even if you haven't been diagnosed. I used to use indoor tanning, but a light box will be cheaper in the long run. Going to try the Vitamin D this year.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    AKA known as "Winter Sucks and I Miss The Sun"

ha ha
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Light therapy has been a big help for me too.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Fluorescent lighting helped me. Last year, having a job that I love helped tremendously.

My worst time is the end of February until the snow starts to melt here in Michigan.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I don't have SAD, but I have major depressive disorder (clinical depression) and pretty severe anxiety. I tend to isolate a lot, especially in the winter (I have always hated the snow/ice/bitter temps just as much as I hate hot summer days, brushing off my car/defrosting my car, slipping on black ice when I walk and when I drive, being cold even in my apartment, and I don't even find snow very pretty, so it's just a crappy time of the year and because I live in Wisconsin, it lasts FOREVER). I've gone off medications almost entirely (I take clonazepam if needed) because I find that the dozens I've tried over the past few years haven't been significantly helpful for me. But recently, I've found a good therapist, I'm eating well, I'm forcing myself to get out for some exercise (especially at the indoor pool) most days of the week, and talking about my journey/feelings online. It seems to be helping me.
  • RobinCT821
    RobinCT821 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    SAD sucks all the fun out of the holidays. I am all optimistic up until midi-December, then I just can't stand the hassle of it all. I avoid the cold because it causes pain in my face, so I stay inside most all winter.

I have been taking Vitamin D, but will increase that to my maximum.
    All my art supplies are in a room in the basement. I'm going to bring it upstairs where there are windows and natural light.
    Maintaining an exercise routine sounds like a great idea, instead of curling up on the couch watching tv or reading - use that as my reward for being active for a half hour.
    Only make cookies I don't like.

I also use mood-lifting essential oils in a diffuser, or a necklace. Peppermint, spearmint, lemon, orange, etc.
  • Sheamousemom
    Options
    Vitamin D seems to help
  • crash_aly
    Options
    I'll be starting Vitamin D pills again.

I can already feel the urge to eat everything and do nothing setting in...

I may need to look into this! Lately I have been feeling hungry almost constantly, wanting to do nothing but sleep and just tired in general. Years ago I was diagnosed with clinical depression, was on meds for about a year and then got off of them. I am pretty good most of the year and love being outside. But lately finding that I feel very off...also way more emotional than usual!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    AKA known as "Winter Sucks and I Miss The Sun"

ha ha

if only it was as simple as that. It's not.
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used these lights? They are inexpensive and get good reviews. I am thinking they'd be great to use at work for an hour or so mid day, which is when it really starts to hit me.

http://www.verilux.com/light-therapy-lamps/happylight-2500/