Just starting out!

Options
Ok so I just joined MFP, last night but I have been really dieting and working out for the past 3 weeks. My family and I went on vacation and when I saw the pictures from that trip I was wondering who that woman was…it was me! I just didn’t realize I had gained so much weight! Since then I have lost 5 pounds with a method many will disagree with and that is Slim Fast and of course working out! I am not looking at Slim Fast as a lifestyle change or a quick fix, just something to get me started. While using Slim Fast I am learning how to cook in a more healthy way…I am from the South and we love to cook with fat and sugar!
Anyway…In the last week, I am just not hungry! I am not even having all the food slim fast says I should have. I think this is mostly because I am on Summer vacation ( I am a teacher) I sleep late and even though I am up late at night I do not want to eat late at night. I am worried that I may not get enough calories because I have read posts about that! So my question is…Does it matter how late I eat! I have heard so many things I just don’t know what to believe anymore!
Another question…I go to the gym at least 3 days a week but work out at home on my days off from the gym. Any suggestions for homework outs? I workout with the Wii, I play the Wii Fit, Just Dance, and I have even started using some of the shows from fit TV. What do you all do to work out at home?

Replies

• missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    I mostly disagree with slim fast because... well... it's not real food. What's worked for me is eating regionally/locally as much as possible as well as being very mindful of what's on my plate and researching where food actually comes from as well as our food system. When I'm in my dorm (my home now!!!) I do a bit of yoga.. but of course I'm walking all over campus most of the time and I have the rec. center. I also run around campus in the early morning before it gets hot.

As far as eating late at night... if you're absolutely famished, by all means, eat. Otherwise, though, try to have 3 square meals a day. I know many people swear by snacking all day but making a ritual out of your food and sitting down and thinking about it as well as preparing it yourself, no frozen or packaged crap, really made a difference for me. If anything at least eat a bit for breakfast, just something in the morning, maybe some tea with toast or whatever. I often write blog posts about these sorts of things so feel free to read that for more info. Good luck to you!
  • txtree50
    txtree50 Posts: 51
    Options
    Drinking slimfast is better then grabbing a coke and candy bar from the teachers lounge so don't beat yourself up over that. You do what works for you. Kellogs has a protein bar and you can add veggies and fruit for lunch. If you just take the extra time to fix a good lunch in the evening for school you will be fine. I try and eat 3 times (at the same time) and have 2 snacks! Keep up the good work.