Boredom During Cardio

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do my cardio outdoors. Podcasts are great for when I go for a walk.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    How on earth do people read while working out? LOL

I reckon if you can still read (my head wobbles all over the place) your METS aren't high enough! Why not just work out harder, finish earlier, and relax afterwards with the kindle???

I do HIIT, heavy lifting, and then I relax on the recumbent bike with my kindle. Do you have a problem with that?
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options

I reckon if you can still read (my head wobbles all over the place) your METS aren't high enough! Why not just work out harder, finish earlier, and relax afterwards with the kindle???

I do HIIT, heavy lifting, and then I relax on the recumbent bike with my kindle. Do you have a problem with that?

I don't have a problem with anything, I was being rather jovial.

Are you trying to incite a disagreement? If so, let me put on my teen girl drama face and say "what-evuh".
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    I've moved my treadmill out to the living room from a back corner bedroom that was boring.. I'm not into commercials so I DVR most of the shows or movies that I want to watch.. If I want to do 45 minutes on the treadmill I'll watch 2 of the 30 min shows which comes to about 45 minutes..
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Get of the machines and into nature if you can... Most of us spend too many hours staring at 4 walls or electronic devices... I love hitting the road and running or hiking...

This exactly. Nothing better than being outside. And not boring at all. As children it was the most normal thing in the world for me.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I often get bored while using the elliptical. So bored that I stare at the TVs and read the marquee on the bottom until it runs through its cycle a couple times. That is WITH music in my ear buds. Today I decided I'd utilize the Nook app on my phone. I made the text as big as I could so I could see it from the ledge on the elliptical. It worked great! I was actually wanting to keep going just so I could continue reading. I maintained my target heart rate for more of the session than ever, and added 5 minutes twice. Just wanted to share this tip :) Good luck everyone at reaching your goals!

That's pretty cool. I hate cardio machines with the white hot heat of a thousand suns, but I have to admit, they're awfully nice when it's sleeting outside. Still. . .
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    This is why I avoid the elliptical and treadmill. I rely on HIIT workouts at FitnessBlender. Nothing boring about those, and I don't even need music while I do it. Cardio machines are horribly boring.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Get off the machines and into nature if you can... Most of us spend too many hours staring at 4 walls or electronic devices... I love hitting the road and running or hiking...

There's a reason you're getting bored on the elliptical............get outside and run or ride etc Way more fun!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I often get bored while using the elliptical. So bored that I stare at the TVs and read the marquee on the bottom until it runs through its cycle a couple times. That is WITH music in my ear buds. Today I decided I'd utilize the Nook app on my phone. I made the text as big as I could so I could see it from the ledge on the elliptical. It worked great! I was actually wanting to keep going just so I could continue reading. I maintained my target heart rate for more of the session than ever, and added 5 minutes twice. Just wanted to share this tip :) Good luck everyone at reaching your goals!

WD!

You need to do what you need to do. Abstract cardio is rather boring whatever you're doing. That's why I prefer playing some kind of sport. I play tennis until I cannot walk. Maybe 3 hours? Sometimes we keep playing until it's so dark you cannot see the ball and just feel it whistle past your head. Or how about rock climbing for 5 hours (with breaks, obviously, but most of the time you're moving or climbing)? Try getting me to run on a treadmill for 3 minutes and I'm bored.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Music
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I listen to music. Without that, it would be way too boring for me.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    audio books is a fantastic idea
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Get of the machines and into nature if you can... Most of us spend too many hours staring at 4 walls or electronic devices... I love hitting the road and running or hiking...

AOL
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Get off the machines and into nature if you can... Most of us spend too many hours staring at 4 walls or electronic devices... I love hitting the road and running or hiking...

There's a reason you're getting bored on the elliptical............get outside and run or ride etc Way more fun!

I don't think of it as an either/or. If you do cardio 6 days a week, there is plenty of opportunity to use different machines, run/walk, bike, take a cardio class, and try out an exercise DVD, all in the same week.
  • Midnight1210
    Midnight1210 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I just have to say it - 190 lbs. lost - that's AWESOME! Congratulations!! :drinker:

And you are right, a lot of us do need to get outside and away from electronics.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Anyway... back on topic... I get bored with steady state cardio so I do intervals. That way something is changing within the next minute anyway.

I was thinking this ...no way I could read while running..
  • kheekis
    Options
    I'm just starting. If I didn't have a youngin telling me to slow down, I'm sure I could ride a lot more :) Shin splints suck, hence the elliptical. Charles ****ens, 'The Life of David Copperfield' + elliptical = a good 45 minutes. I still did intervals, in fact I maintained my target heart rate for more of the time than I usually do. A few times I stayed 5 beats more than :) For me, movies are for relaxing and going to sleep so that would be a very bad idea, lol.
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    IF you find you're mentally stuck by a thing, find a way to un-stuck yourself. end of story :)
  • RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    Options
    Do something you enjoy? Like I enjoy running, Football etc, I can't stand machines and treadmills...
  • leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I agree...On average I burn about 700 calories walking/running on the treadmill an hour....I raked leaves onto a tarp and loaded them into a trailer the other day for 3 hours and burned 1800 calories...average of 600 calories per hour. Not only did i get my cardio in for the day, it was a change a pace, and my yard looks great. I know some would say you should log calories for activities such as this, but Ive been using "yardwork" for months and it works for me...

I can only stare at "hot" women for so long to pass the time on the treadmill...well who am I kidding...anyway...