How do you plan to handle the holidays?

Options
This is my first time trying to lose weight over the holiday season. I know I need a plan... I just don't know what!

The abundant Halloween candy is already sneaking up on me, and I've caught myself making trips to the candy bowl. I log every peanut butter cup, of course, but they sure add up fast!

I have NO idea how I plan to balance Thanksgiving and Christmas. I want to be able to indulge (and not have mine or my boyfriend's family tell me to eat more!), but I don't want to blow my progress, either.

Any suggestions? :)

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as indulging. You can eat the same foods just in smaller quantities. It doesn't have to be deprivation, just use common sense and take smaller portions of high calorie foods so you get the taste and load up with low calorie veggies. Holidays don't have to be all about eating. Enjoy the company of family and friends without binge eating.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Eat, Drink and be merry within reason!
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    I have already decided that the only two days I will allow myself to go over my calories are Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I am not going to go nuts! I figure 2 days won't kill me. If anything else comes up, I will deal with it but will stay within my goals.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat an exercise as per usual.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Not many can do this, but I literally dont eat the day before a big holiday. And if i do eat something its usually just a small bowl of cereal before bed if im too hungry and cant sleep. I make up for it by eating atleast two plates of turkey and stuffing! In my opinion, one day of suffering is worth enjoying my holiday and not feeling guilty about it!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want lightly and do cardio like a beast numerous times during the week.
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Last Thanksgiving I used a smaller plate than everybody else. I didn't feel like I was depriving myself because my plate was full, but in actuality I was eating less than I normally would have.
  • melinda189
    Options
    I have already decided that the only two days I will allow myself to go over my calories are Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I am not going to go nuts! I figure 2 days won't kill me. If anything else comes up, I will deal with it but will stay within my goals.

I agree 100%. You'll be miserable sitting there trying not to eat while watching what everybody else is eating. Go head & get it in (w/in moderation) don't eat like you did last year of course. & if you find you've ate waaaayyy too much on Thanksgving &/or Christmas just remember to get a good workout in that next day- maybe the next few days to help even things out. it'll be ok, those 2 days shouldn't cause you to gain massive amounts of weight back
  • reneeb816
    reneeb816 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not allowing any Halloween candy in the house until my son gets his from trick or treating. He's very young, so chance are it will be minimal. Since we're not home during trick or treating hours, I don't need to buy any. I find if it's not in the house it's too much energy to bother finding some. :tongue:

As for Christmas etc. I plan to drink LOTS of water to try and keep myself full. But in reality a day or two won't kill you and just don't binge.
  • reneeb816
    reneeb816 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Last Thanksgiving I used a smaller plate than everybody else. I didn't feel like I was depriving myself because my plate was full, but in actuality I was eating less than I normally would have.

Very good idea!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I plan to handle the holidays this year the same way I did last year - no grains, no dairy, no sugar. I have food sensitivities & those things cause me to feel bad. I'll have a better holiday season skipping the foods that are unhealthy for me.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    As I always do.

Train hard---eat everything in sight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This is a great question. I plan on doing exactly what I have been doing for several months: eating at a calorie deficit, logging, exercising, and eating what I want as long as it fits in my calorie allowance. There is no reason to let the holidays mess with my healthier way of life.
  • HawkeyeLite
    Options
    I don't buy halloween candy (sorry trick or treaters!).

For Thanksgiving, I plan accordingly, and the holiday meal is the only meal of the day. I usually don't get seconds on anything and I portion my plate with as much veggies and salad, and the rest is smaller portions of the vegan-turkey and stuffing and such. I let myself have a slice of pie because it is a holiday and I realize that we have to still let ourselves indulge occasionally. Plus I love pie!

For Christmas, that is harder. My mom makes a ton of christmas cookies and there's always so much food in the house. I try to stick to my daily workouts as much as possible (Except Christmas day) and I don't weigh daily during this time. I also tell myself, it's okay not to lose during Christmas. Focus on trying to stay the same weight.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Halloween candy is not that big of a deal to me. Sometimes I wonder if people don't realize that you can get Kit Kats and Reese's and Snickers the other 11 months of the year, too. I eat chocolate all the time. I have no trouble avoiding it when I've already had as much as I "need."

My Thanksgiving strategy the past few years has been to do a hard workout that morning and fast up until meal time (which is early in my family ... we eat around noon). Then I eat whatever I want. No counting calories or feeling guilty. Pretty much the same thing at Christmas.

But I am very disciplined the rest of the time, and I think that is the key to surviving holidays. There's no way that one day is going to totally destroy your progress. It's what you do the next day and the day after that matters. If you can't get back on the wagon, then you're screwed, but it's not because of one day.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I use portion control. I weigh &/or measure my food and count the calories. I have a portion of all the things I like. If I go over, I do some extra cardio exercises to make up the difference. I did fine last year and we were at DD's house so I didn't have as much control over food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Bigger Picture thinking...a holiday and/or other special occasion is just one day of many days. It is an occasion...it is not your daily routine. You didn't get to the point of needing to lose weight because you over indulged at Christmas or your girlfriend's birthday...you got to this point because you over indulged most of the time. This is all about what you do 80 - 90% of the time, not what you're doing 10% of the time. I lost a good chunk of my weight last year during the holiday season, all the while enjoying my Thanksgiving turkey and all the fixin's, drinking too much and a massive Christmas dinner or roasted lamb and a gazillion sides...and again way too much to drink. I was just fine...that said, I don't treat the whole "season" as a reason to indulge in cookies and cakes and candy, etc...I'm not really big on that stuff anyway, but if you look at the entire 2-3 months as a reason to just pig out on this kind of stuff, you might be in trouble.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    We don;t celebrate Halloween or Thanksgiving in my country... However, for Christmas my plan is... to eat... Its's one meal, one day. I don't think that letting yourself go for one day is a recipe for disaster or that I won't be able to stick my regular eating regime again. I believe that if you are not able to eat whatever you want for a day, and go right back to your healthy habits the next one, then there's still something wrong with your relationship with food.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Never tried this, but I like this idea! I usually eat the one big meal on Thanksgiving where everybody sits at the table together, and then don't eat the rest of the day because I'm so full.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    With all the foods? In large amount?

And then sleep.