HRMs, BMR and eating back calories

Options
I just bought a Polar HRM. It's one that has a chest strap and watch and tracks HR along with calories burnt. I am a little confused about how I should take that info, though.

I just did a workout where it told me that I burn 342 cals. Does that mean I burnt 342 cals MORE than what I would have burnt sitting around and therefore I can eat 342 cals more than I otherwise would have? Or is that how many I burnt, period, and I need to subtract my BMR for that amount of time to know how many calories to eat back? If so, remind me of the best way to figure that out?

I hope that makes sense :huh: I just don't want to overeat thinking that I can.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You would need to subtract your BMR calories. I used to just take about 80% of what my HRM told me and called it a day. 40 Lbs later, I'd say it worked fine.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I use the polar FT7. I use it every single day. Technical and correct answer is the cals your HRM gives you is total cals (including your BMR), so to learn your actual burn, you need to subtract your BMR (Divide your BMR by 24 to get rough BMR/hr).

BUT, like the Wolfman, just take a % of your HRM cals - its easier, and nearly as accurate. Just eat 50% or 60% or 70% back....you'll find your sweet spot soon enough...
  • cyndilie
    Options
    Ooops!!!! I did not ever think of that. I've been logging the total calories burned from the HRM. I guess I need to make some adjustments. Thanks OP for asking that question!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    thank you! When I calculated out my BMR it didn't make a huge difference but everything still adds up! 80% probably is a pretty good rule of thumb.