WHY IS THIS SO HARD???

Options
I am not sure why this is so hard...? I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to do this the right way... more exercise, less junk food... a more natural, clean diet... so why do I keep falling off track... I plan out my days, start out great then come home, the BF orders pizza and bam... I have just consumed 1/2 a large pizza... and then I feel bad and eat more... WTF?!!!?! Sorry, I think I just needed to get that out there... I have lost 4 lbs... which is great and I am techinically in the "healthy" range for my height, but I want to feel better... and I know a HUGE part of the is cutting out the fast food :ohwell: I don't plan to cut out pizza, and sweets for ever, I just want to have a good week, or two... to really prove to myself that I can do this and I do have the motivation to do it... I just can help but feel that I will continue this up and down cycle of failures and sucess. HELP!

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. If you do not plan on cutting out pizza or sweets forever then I most certainly would not cut them out now. If you are trying to make a change, and not just crash diet, you have to be realistic. But if you want to eat better and contnue to lose weight then portion control is a huge factor. One or two slices of pizza might be the better option. You can add a side salad to help fill you up. Good luck to you and keep up the good work!!!!
  • tammyhoff2004
    Options
    You are making it hard. This is the most simple easy weight loss program you'll every find in your life. Counting calories and exercising is going to be your new daily habit. It's going to be your lifetime habit. Like using the bathroom, this program will be part of your life. Don't deprive yourself of anything. Just count it. You won't get to eat as much but in a few weeks you'll start seeing and feeling the difference and you'll be asking yourself.....WTF.....why did I make it this hard? And laugh at yourself cuz that's what we do when we do things like that!! You'll be able to tell everyone about it and encourage and support others on this website for the rest of your life!! In 30 years, you'll be looking back thanking God for this awesome program. God bless you on your weight loss journey!!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Does your bf understand that this is important for you? Perhaps planning dinner together in advance so it doesn't include a pizza, just for a week or two, might help some of this. I have a much more difficult time avoiding eating food if it's what's ready at a meal time (so I make my meal before I make pizza for my kids, or we make a pizza from scratch so I can control what's on mine.)

Good luck to you. I'm finding it gets easier, but it takes time.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    It's hard because your body WANTS to eat and store fat. It doesn't like BEING fat, it just wants to make sure that it never starves. And fast food is designed to do excatly two things: be cheap and taste good. And, you know, it's fast. Just tell your b/f not to order any of that crap for a week. If he wants it, he can go out of the house and get it. My fiance is just fine with that setup, and it's for WAY more than a week for me,

Anyway, really spend a week NOT eating fast food and get used to how your body feels without all the extra sodium and mystery ingredients, and it will be a lot easier to say "no" to them.

Also, with pizza (my weakness) I put the box in another room and take one slice on my plate at a time so that I have to physically get up, go to the other room, open the box, and come sit back down for each piece. It makes you more aware of how much you're getting. (And I always *try* to do a salad with pizza.)

Hope this helps!
  • KimuraCarter
    Options
    Last night, I had a similar situation. I had some healthy leftovers in the fridge. But our part-time roommate made a delicious seafood fettucine alfredo and raved about how great it was (I'm sure it was; he's a great cook). I stuck to my guns, added a bit more seasoning to my food (adding extra curry really helped. I love the smell of curry, and that helped me forget about the alfredo), and just ate that. Since I exercised, I was also able to treat myself to a small dessert. I know I'm not always perfect, and I will slip up (especially when people offer to eat out at a restaurant. eek!), but we have to keep plodding on, despite what other people in our homes are doing. When planning meals, ask if your BF would be interested in having any. If not, tell him he's fending for himself (not implying that you're cooking for him all the time; I don't know the situation).

And, as someone else on here said, do allow yourself to have higher calorie things. Just do it in moderation. See if you can drink a full glass of water first. Then have just one or two slices of pizza. If you always say no, you set yourself up for a binge. So, don't be too hard on yourself! We're here!
  • elipticallover
    Options
    We do plan meals and eat together... he goes along with whatever... but when we have both had a busy stressful day his first reaction is to grab the take-out menu... (he knows my fav. food is pizza, and thinks I am CRAZY to think I need to change)... my challenge is more with portion control.... or just control in general over my cravings for bad food... I just want to cut it out for a week or two to prove this to myself, but I fully intend on allowing myself a treat ot two in moderation :)

thanks for the support...

I guess I just need to give this some time and try not to get down on myself about my rocky start... atleast it is a start and I know what is good vs. bad... hey admitting you have a problem is the first step in solving it...
  • katattack
    Options
    Well said, elipticallover!

I find the "oopssss" moments can acutally be pretty helpful, because I tend to learn the most from them.

"Crappppp i feel so guilty because i guilt-ate after eating something already crappy for me uhuhuhuhh :*( Maybe I shouldn't do taht because obviously it stresses me out too much."

That took a long time to learn, and I'm definitely still learning it, but - BUT - it has clicked in a fewwwww times and that's better than no times. "Excellence is a habit," right?

All the best!
    - Kat
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    When I first starting getting my hubby into shape, I simply could not bring the pizza or ice cream in the house...no matter how little I can eat of it, he couldn't control himself (still can't, I have to portion everything for him, he can't be trusted).

For some reason when my husband sees "bad" food like pizza or ice cream, he feels he is entitled (for lack of better way to describe it) to eat all he can eat...his theory is, I'm not supposed to have it anyway, might as well enjoy...

It is mind over matter in this situation, if you can't control yourself around pizza, don't be around pizza until you have it under control. I would explain to your bf you need him to be supportive if you are really serious about it, otherwise, it is just going to be a vicious cycle.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    For some reason when my husband sees "bad" food like pizza or ice cream, he feels he is entitled (for lack of better way to describe it) to eat all he can eat...his theory is, I'm not supposed to have it anyway, might as well enjoy...

He needs to realize that he IS supposed to have it, only just al ittle bit of it. Properly balanced, 2 pieces of pizza can be an occaisional part of a healthy lifestyle. Even a scoop of ice cream can be fit in from time to time. But a whole pie never works out. Unless you're Michael Phelps with the munchies.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Its difficult because like most people you are addicted to junk food. Its designed to be addictive. In some ways, food addiction is more difficult than others because you have to eat in order to live, so there is no going cold turkey. Other "drugs" are not part of this requirement.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

He needs to realize that he IS supposed to have it, only just al ittle bit of it. Properly balanced, 2 pieces of pizza can be an occaisional part of a healthy lifestyle. Even a scoop of ice cream can be fit in from time to time. But a whole pie never works out. Unless you're Michael Phelps with the munchies.

That's how I see it...but different minds think differently on the subject! Unfortunately it is not something you can tell someone either, they need to figure it out on their own.
  • KimuraCarter
    Options
    The only thing I've found that works (and we all have those days where we order pizza/Chinese/whatever) is that I try not to sit down when I get home. I have to keep going, keep moving until dinner is made. The second I sit down, I lose all motivation to cook or do anything. Also, let the slow cooker be your best friend! I have salsa pork (based off a recipe I found on here) that will be waiting for me when I get home. Bonus: the house smells delicious!