My legs wont grow...

Options

Replies

• CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    In...

...for advice that is relevant to my interests...

...and for learning more about why a particular member came out swinging with admonishment based on faulty facts and covers for it calling it "tough love".

Maybe I should add that I train out of one of the top powerlifting gyms in the US. We have many world and US record holders, as well as many competitive bodybuilders, some of which I have done programming for.

With all due respect, most suggestions in this thread are way off. Most responses so far have been straight off the pages of Muscle and Fiction. Lack of volume is rarely an issue for beginners. If this was the case, Crossfitters would be HUUUGE. 25 reps of squat (5x5) is more than enough volume. Most of the lifters in my gym do less than 10 "working" reps in a workout. Of course they do accessory work too, but they have also been training for years.

Stress is the name of the game. Some do it by lifting a few heavy sets, some spend 1.5 hours in the gym on the leg extension machine. Both will get results, but the previous is definitely more efficient.

PS we don't even have a leg extension, leg curl, or calf raise machine in the gym; and I think most of our lifters are doing just fine.

So you're saying that OP should keep doing what he's been doing with his 5x5? The very thing that OP has said isn't working for him? I'm confused as to what your actual advice for OP is...as the things you told him to stop doing are things that he says he isn't doing, and the things you're telling him to do are what he's already doing.

The progress isn't flawed.

I'm assuming OP is throwing his leg day in after his 3rd chest and bicep day. I am also assuming OP lacks ROM and TUT when doing squats.

Lifting upper body is easy, lifting legs is hard. I think the primary issue is a lack of desire.

3-5 sets, 1-5 reps, full ROM, 3-0-1 tempo, 60-120 second rest....throw in some splits squats or prowler pushes (if available)....out of the gym in 45 minutes.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Is jumping a thing? When I used to jump a lot for like 2-3 hours every friday night and then 1-2 hours per week my thighs were Hyooge. Most girls on my team too. Think cheerleader, and volleyball thighs. Lot's of jump, lot's of leg. IDK just something I noticed.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    In...

...and for learning more about why a particular member came out swinging with admonishment based on faulty facts and covers for it calling it "tough love".

Maybe I should add that I train out of one of the top powerlifting gyms in the US. We have many world and US record holders, as well as many competitive bodybuilders, some of which I have done programming for.

With all due respect, most suggestions in this thread are way off. Most responses so far have been straight off the pages of Muscle and Fiction. Lack of volume is rarely an issue for beginners. If this was the case, Crossfitters would be HUUUGE. 25 reps of squat (5x5) is more than enough volume. Most of the lifters in my gym do less than 10 "working" reps in a workout. Of course they do accessory work too, but they have also been training for years.

Stress is the name of the game. Some do it by lifting a few heavy sets, some spend 1.5 hours in the gym on the leg extension machine. Both will get results, but the previous is definitely more efficient.

PS we don't even have a leg extension, leg curl, or calf raise machine in the gym; and I think most of our lifters are doing just fine.

So you're saying that OP should keep doing what he's been doing with his 5x5? The very thing that OP has said isn't working for him? I'm confused as to what your actual advice for OP is...as the things you told him to stop doing are things that he says he isn't doing, and the things you're telling him to do are what he's already doing.

I'm assuming OP is throwing his leg day in after his 3rd chest and bicep day. I am also assuming OP lacks ROM and TUT when doing squats.

Lifting upper body is easy, lifting legs is hard. I think the primary issue is a lack of desire.

3-5 sets, 1-5 reps, full ROM, 3-0-1 tempo, 60-120 second rest....throw in some splits squats or prowler pushes (if available)....out of the gym in 45 minutes.

I love assuming stuff. It makes life interesting. For instance, I'm assuming that a group of monkeys have gotten together and are playing Dance Dance Revolution on your keyboard. It is the only logical explanation that I can come up with as to why you are responding to the OP the way you are.

Go monkeys!!!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    In...

:huh:
    His OP says he works legs twice per week and he later gives his reps ranges. Not sure why you are making all these wild assumptions.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    In...

You know there's tough love and then there's just douche. Why are you assuming now that his form is wrong and his desire isn't there. If he makes upper body progress he must have some kind of ganas in him. Who are you to question someone's heart. That's like pretty carried away if you ask me.

I could see if you were his trainer and saw his form or even watched something he posted in that regard but you are talking like you're his big bro and you know everything about him and you're coming off like such a jerk. Really. I think you are probably being at least functionally if not literally ignored by the OP by now and might wanna take your type of "motivation" back to your wall or group or wherever people put up with your type of ish. Leave the "kid" alone already.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. My quads are that of a female, 21". I'm cutting fat before my bulk. Can't wait to hit 6% so I can gain size. 9 more weeks.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to be about a person who wanted to get taller.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    In...

You know there's tough love and then there's just douche. Why are you assuming now that his form is wrong and his desire isn't there. If he makes upper body progress he must have some kind of ganas in him. Who are you to question someone's heart. That's like pretty carried away if you ask me.

I could see if you were his trainer and saw his form or even watched something he posted in that regard but you are talking like you're his big bro and you know everything about him and you're coming off like such a jerk. Really. I think you are probably being at least functionally if not literally ignored by the OP by now and might wanna take your type of "motivation" back to your wall or group or wherever people put up with your type of ish. Leave the "kid" alone already.

Not in the slightest. I'm offering advice, OP (and whoever else) can take it however he/they want.

- His program is a proven routine for adding strength and size, so we know that's not the problem.
    - He has been adding size to his upper body, so we can rule out genetics and nutrition.
    - There is no such thing as Chicken Leg Disorder, so that's out the window.

We're left with improper implementation of the program and/or lack desire. It's probably not what OP wants to hear, but there is nothing else to blame.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Nope Those threads aren't allowed here, they delete them.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with others to increase the rep range a bit. See if that works for you. I have chicken leg syndrome too (runs in the family). Father's side has chicken legs while my mother's side have muscular upper bodies. Some people will respond better for size in a higher rep range (like me) for legs. You might be one of those.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I've been weight training now for the last year and a half. I've come a long way from what I used to be. My upper body is definitely improving BUT

My legs are still the same size as they were before I started training. Maybe a tiny tiny tiny bit bigger, but not very noticable. I train them twice a week, deadlifts, squats and calf raises.

I don't want to be one of these guys with a huge upper bodies with chicken legs.

Any advice?
    High volume training. Legs were tough for me too. So I started to do sets of 20-25 reps for squats and leg press. For hamstrings I did about 15 reps. I did still include reps of 6-8 but only on the last couple of sets. Usually I did 5-8 sets for each exercise. It has worked for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    135x5
    185x5
    225x5
    275x5
    315x3-5

This is my deadlift routine.

And I do 5x5 with squats
    Not enough reps for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Good enough for myofibril hypertrophy. Increase your reps to 8-25 reps.

IDEA Fitness member
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

no, those are the Pilates and Barre threads
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

no, those are the Pilates and Barre threads

Love me some pilates, I'm aiming for 5'10"!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sorry to say that everyone can't have perfect bodies no matter how much they work out. After all the lifting and protein eating, if you aren't gaining in your legs, then you probably never will. I say you should just get used to your legs and learn to work with what you got. We all have imperfections that can't be fixed, luckily, you can cover yours up if you want to.
    Cop out for those who aren't willing to work hard enough for gains or is complacent. Increasing knowledge does make a difference. The OP's current regimen is for strength and not sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. He's gotten suggestions that are correct to achieve it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the OP could have a crack at MMS? It's got some 20 Rep Back Squat Sets in it. If that doesn't make your wheels grow, nothing will (I haven't tried this one personally though, although it always gets good feedback from people who have)

All Pro is a solid choice for mass. If you're beyond hacking a LP, then he also has a couple of intermediate routines that might be up your alley.

It's all about eating enough at the end of the day. Get on a higher rep range routine and eat about 4000 a day. If things don't start to move in the leg department, I'd be surprised.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    1. My GD eyes are bleeding...
    2. Another thread full of jocks and gurus who need to climb all over each other to make a friggin point on an internet forum and talking to each other in a manner they wouldn't in person. So masculine and macho.
    3. Lots of straight up unfounded and some complete bullshhh advice...
    4. I was skimming and didn't want to get much more blood on my new Mac. But about 3 pages in I finally saw my first hint of real truth, from someone with Ginger in their name, for all of you macho gurus.
    5. Looking through the past 7 days of the OP's diet log shows him leaving about 2500 or so calories on the table. And that's at a surprisingly low maintenance goal of 2700 or so. In order to grow you must sustain an anabolic environment not just diddle daddle around it and come and go and flirt with it.
    6. 5 lbs of weight in a month is too much? I guess we don't understand how water plays into weight....surely we do? Geez.
    7 Rep range for strength vs hypertrophy is so full of bro science bull shhh it's not even worth stressing about on here. What difference does rep range matter if you're not using appropriate weight and speed and over all intensity for either goal, and eating properly, for either goal? Changing intensity won't do jack but recycle tissue if the surplus and positive nitrogen balance isn't there!
    8. You can't have your cake and eat it too. How much weight are you willing to gain? You 're going to gain some weight and some fat. So get on with eating like you're trying to actually grow and not like you're trying to grow a little bit without adding fat.

9. Yes you might need to flat out go to some very very painful, uncomfortable places with your leg work in order to get what you want. I don't know if that's the case or not but many have tried to. There should be a balance between strength and hypertrophy "approach" You can't get stronger without getting more size at some point, and vice versa. Again we don't know where you're at, but if you haven't spent some time around 90% it's time you did...perhaps. The power of the single rep set is lost with body builders...many times.

We don't know what your total output is for the day, what kind of expenditure you have at work or during your day, any extra curricular activities, etc. and if your weights and protocol or truly where they need to be. But the rest of this shhhh in this thread was funny. But....the Fitness Industry...all about entertainment.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^how was this post different from every other post on this thread?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ^how was this post different from every other post on this thread?

Did you not see that there it was in a numbered list?

Do You Even Forum?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Rep range for strength vs hypertrophy is so full of bro science bull shhh it's not even worth stressing about on here. What difference does rep range matter if you're not using appropriate weight and speed and over all intensity for either goal, and eating properly, for either goal? Changing intensity won't do jack but recycle tissue if the surplus and positive nitrogen balance isn't there!
    So are you implying that some doing a perfect 1 rep (for let's say 4 sets) will create sarcoplasmic hypertrophy just as well as a program where one does 8-12 reps for the same amount sets with perfect form and surplus with positive nitrogen balance is involved? Because if that's true, then a gym stay to build muscle could be just 5 minutes long.

But I truly doubt that. There are standards that exercise science does stick to.

IDEA Fitness member