Anyone willing to go cold-turkey off soda with me?

Options

Replies

• ClarityPeace
    ClarityPeace Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If I want a cold can I keep some inexpensive polar seltzer cans in fridge. No calories, no fake sweeteners etc. Diet soda will just make you crave sugar which in the end is will set back your efforts.
  • millcassr17
    Options
    I drank soda every second of the day, my boyfriend had stopped drinking it some time before me, I figured i'd give it a try. days went by, it was hard. The headaches were the worst part. then a couple weeks, and I figured I had gotten that far, why not keep going. Its been 2 years now, and I haven't had any pop since, and sure I miss it sometimes, but I love water, and it made me feel good that I could do something and stick with it. Quitting cold turkey is better than slowly coming off I think. The less you have something, the less you crave it. Now if only I could keep that in my mind with McDonald's. ;)
  • missbutton82
    missbutton82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would happily like to join you on this! I've started drinking more water but I really need to kick the soda habit.. I have the tendency to toggle between regular and diet..especially depending on what I am eating and I'd just really would like to quit all together. Please feel free to add me.
  • rosenogc
    rosenogc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I stopped sodas on Monday, but I bought the One-A -Day Vitamins for Energy. They contain the same amount of caffeine as one cup of coffee. I thought this would help me cut the sodas without having caffeine withdrawals. I have to take the vitamin about an hour after breakfast, so they don't make me nauseated. Sodas are what primarily made me overweight. Good luck!
  • rachelmowen1
    rachelmowen1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I drink way too much soda.
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet Pepsi cold turkey on April 28, 2012. I was a heavy soda drinker at the time and for as long as I can remember... Was disgusted with myself and had a very low self-esteem. I decided it was finished for me, here and there, for ever. I am so happy I made this move. If I could do it, you can do it!
  • gman94568
    gman94568 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was a big Diet Coke drinker. I decided to stop drinking Diet Coke (as well as all soda) and decided to lose some weight. As part of that, I decided to "drink zero calories"--no soda, smoothies, juice, beer, wine, alcoholic beverages. I largely drink water and ice tea now.

Although I have had a few minor transgressions, it has worked for me and certainly help with the weight loss.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I quit 15 years ago. I drank nultiple 2 liter bottles of Pepsi a day. The headaches were the worst part, but once that was over, I was fine. When I crave the fizziness, I drink Pellegrino with about 2 ounces of pomegranate juice. I wish you the best with this.
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much soda to begin with. Maybe with the occasional mixed drink is about all..we were never allowed more than one can, only on the weekends, when I was a kid. And especially with calorie counting...those 120 I can't spare, I'd rather have food!

One thing that might help - buy some seltzer water and mix it with some juice. You still get a sweet carbonation, but not as many calories and maybe even some vitamins, depending on the juice.
  • wwest21
    wwest21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda cold turkey again last week. I say 'again' because I went for months without drinking it, then had one, then another, and so on. I didn't get back to being as bad as I was before. I just remind myself that I'm not getting anything out of the soda other then crap so its easier to stop. I get a headache every now and again but back to drinking strictly water, tea, and milk for breakfast.
  • botheredbridetobe
    Options
    I will join you all! I can literally drink bucketloads of the stuff every day and am stopping TODAY :D
  • sserf
    sserf Posts: 5
    Options
    2 weeks for me. I drink seltzer because I like the fizz. I wonder if I should just not even drink that but I really dislike water
  • Meegan321
    Options
    I will!
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I used to drink roughly a 12-pack of Diet Coke every day (yes, really). I gave it up about three years ago. It was really rough for a few weeks. In fact, quitting diet soda was actually worse than quitting smoking.

I still occasionally drink a Sierra Mist or an Izze, though.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I've never been addicted to pop. In my family we grew up with pop and chips only on Friday family nights. For me I just like the fizz so I've been drinking club soda whenever I feel like I want something bubbly. It has worked so far. There was a time when I was drinking one or two cans of club soda a day (Canada Dry is my favourite brand) but now it's only about once or twice a week. I find that whenever I do "indulge" in a pop I'm always disappointed.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I was a religious coke (plain, with sugar) drinker 3 months ago. I may have one about once every 2 weeks now and do not miss them. I drink alot of mineral water with lime and enjoy it.

You can do it - easypeazylemonsqueezy!!! (courtesy of my 5 yr old nephew)

:flowerforyou:
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I can fully relate to the addiction. Coca~Cola addict here (but I'm in "recovery"). :smile:

What I discovered several months back was that I grabbed a Coke every time I was thirsty...between morning coffee and Coke all day long, they were my only forms of hydration. So, I started drinking water...lots of water. That helped flush the body, I had very little physical discomfort from reducing the caffeine and sugar, and the cravings were significantly reduced. About the only thing that triggers the cravings now is my favorite meal (homemade tacos), and I'll have one 7.5 oz. can of Coke every time I have my treat meal. So, I've gone from 3-4 (or more) 12 oz. cans a day to one or two small cans a month. It works. I started out thinking that I'd never taste Coke again, but found that hydration is really the key for me.

You can do this!
  • Jkn922
    Jkn922 Posts: 74
    Options
    Soda and juices is a bit hard for me too but I found drinking squash in water will help your cravings - you're usually thirsty for water but want the taste of soda, once you drink the water the thirst goes away anyway. That's how I got out of it. Drinks have been worst lately than my chocolate addiction!
  • BlueEyedGirl2013
    BlueEyedGirl2013 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My problem is Monster Energy drinks ugh. I'm quitting cold turkey as of today! I have tried this a few other times and have failed BUT this time is different. I have to stick to it. Good luck (:
  • Jkn922
    Jkn922 Posts: 74
    Options
    My problem is Monster Energy drinks ugh. I'm quitting cold turkey as of today! I have tried this a few other times and have failed BUT this time is different. I have to stick to it. Good luck (:

Those are one of the big sugar addictions! Best of luck for it and hope you gain the change you're looking for! (most likely more energy throughout the day)