Went a little crazy.

Options
So last night I went out with a friend and pretty much had myself a beer and crispy chicken strip orgy. I went over my calorie limit by like 1100 or so (best guesstimate). I don't have very much to lose, just trying to get rid of my spare tire. I wanted to know if I should somehow make up for it, like deficit myself a little for a couple of days, or carry on like nothing happened. What do y'all do when things like this happen?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Keep calm, carry on.

Remember that 3500 is about a pound, and your plan has a calorie deficit built in. So basically you set yourself back a few days. It's not a big deal unless it happens every day.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    eat normally, and drink oodles of water. any weight gain should be mostly water retention from the salt.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Keep calm and carry on :).

It was only 1000 calories - a few days progress at most.

Don't cause yourself psychological damage by refusing to allow even one cheat meal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Keep calm and carry on :).

It was only 1000 calories - a few days progress at most.

Don't cause yourself psychological damage by refusing to allow even one cheat meal.

This. Don't sweat it. Worst case, it will take you a few more days to reach your goal.
  • jesimm77
    Options
    Oh yeah, no psychological damage here, lol! It was too glorious to taint with regret. Just wanted to be sure I shouldn't be paying penance somehow by jogging or doing pushups or something :)
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Eating very little or over-exercising in the next few days after a "bad day" is probably the worst thing you can do! Kinda sets people up for failure. I go over my calories one day a week by at least 1000, usually more, and I'm still losing 1-2 lbs a week (because I don't eat back most of my exercise cals during the week). Today is a new day, just keep going as you were. The only thing you could do is not eat back exercise cals this week, but don't go below your normal target.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    When I go significantly over my net cals target, I might eat 50-100 calories less each day for a while to catch up, or just skip my daily frozen yogurt for a day or two. But I've been maintaining for several months and I'm now on a slight surplus; I have no deficit to buffer a bingey day and no desire to gain faster than I've set out to. If you have a deficit built into your target, I'd just log it accurately and move on. Over that week, you'll probably still come in under your TDEE, which means you'll still lose weight. Just perhaps not quite as much as you planned.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    eat normally, and drink oodles of water. any weight gain should be mostly water retention from the salt.

You may also want to eat a baked potato or a banana.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how much you eat on a regular basis anyway. If you typically have 800 calories a day...then dont worry about it - you did yourself favour. If you eat a health amount, like 1600/a day, then you can either

1 - make sure you work out, but don't go nuts trying to burn off the calories. (this may help with any guilt)
    2 - subtract 200 calories off of a few days, and work out
    3 - enjoy the night, which is now nothing more than a memory and move on.

:) Indulging is just as important as everything else in this journey.