Fitbit assuming too many calories

Options
Fitbit is always assuming my TDEE is 2200 on days that I forget to wear my Fitbit. Realistically, my sedentary TDEE is around 2000.

Therefore, it's constantly adding a positive adjustment of around ~200 calories to my daily goal here on MFP (on days that I forget to wear my Fitbit). For example, yesterday it assumed 2200 cal burned even though all I did was sit around.

On days that I remember my Fitbit and I'm actually somewhat active (like today, I walked 13,000 steps) should I assume Fitbit knows what its doing and eat back the calories it's added?

It doesn't have this problem on days that I manually add exercise, by the way.

(I guess I could fix this by actually wearing my Fitbit consistently, but some days I just forget. It happens. :( Maybe I could just ignore Fitbit's adjustment on the days I forget?)

Replies

• guroprincess
    Options
    After doing a little poking around I realized that back when I wasn't using my Fitbit it assumed 1600 calories TDEE which is actually a few hundred under. I guess since I've been exercising on a daily basis it just assumed that I'm going to burn 2200 because that's what I've been burning daily lately. I'll just have to remember to wear it every day :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    After doing a little poking around I realized that back when I wasn't using my Fitbit it assumed 1600 calories TDEE which is actually a few hundred under. I guess since I've been exercising on a daily basis it just assumed that I'm going to burn 2200 because that's what I've been burning daily lately. I'll just have to remember to wear it every day :)

Yep - I find if I exercise a lot it does assume I'll keep doing it - so if I burn a lot one day and then am not active the next day my negative calorie adjustment can be pretty painful.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    ^Thanks! bump for other opinions though.