How do I increase sodium AND avoid water retention?

Options
I have been having lots of random dizziness. My doctor and I are almost entirely convinced that the dizziness is due to low blood pressure. My BP is typically around 90/60. She advised me to increase my sodium. She didn't tell me how much I should be shooting for in a day. I'm basically not doing anything to limit my sodium, which is a change in itself. This is the issue: How do I fend of the water retention? I've been trying to drink 1/2 my body weight in ounces of water, but I'm gaining like crazy! Help!

Replies

• landonfloen
    landonfloen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't think its possible, but I have never looked into it extensively.

Why is it that you are concerned with water retention? Its just water, not fat or toxins. Unless you have a weight class to shoot for I don't see the issue of carrying a couple extra lbs of water.
  • lrevels1
    lrevels1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Did your dr check your thyroid? What about an EKG?
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Seems to me there may be more to it than just adding more sodium to your diet... what is your sodium intake already? And... does your doctor know how much sodium you are taking in now? Like, has she/he have you write a journal down every day for a few weeks to see if it is in fact sodium related? I'm just curious.... :flowerforyou:
  • FixIngMe13
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Hypotension can be caused by dehydration also...
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Did your dr check your thyroid? What about an EKG?

All blood work came back normal. Glucose, Thyroid, Electrolytes. No one has talked about an EKG.
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Seems to me there may be more to it than just adding more sodium to your diet... what is your sodium intake already? And... does your doctor know how much sodium you are taking in now? Like, has she/he have you write a journal down every day for a few weeks to see if it is in fact sodium related? I'm just curious.... :flowerforyou:

My thoughts too! I was getting flagged almost every day for consuming too much sodium (2500mg+) by my BodyMedia. I worked to cut it down. Now, per my doctor's recommendations, I've stopped watching my sodium and am getting flagged again. My sodium levels were normal too.

Maybe it's just time for a new doctor? My BP is low, but perhaps there are other options to fix...
  • FixIngMe13
    Options
    Can I suggest a second opinion? Just to be safe. If you are already around 2500 daily sodium, or above, I'd have to wonder if it is something else entirely. I'm no doctor by any means, and even though I've been in the medical field for a long time, I still tell people... get 2nd and 3rd opinions if you don't think something sounds right.

I really don't think it is your sodium intake.... but like I said, I'm not a doctor. I'd say a 2nd opinion would be the way to go. Just to be sure ya know?
    Wishing you the very best! :flowerforyou:
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    500mg is the absolute minimum needed for the body (I used to get 350mg and my blood pressure did funny things then, so I now get about 850 and that is okay)

1500mg is considered a low sodium diet by the heart foundation

2500mg is the 'upper' limit recommended (apparently the average person gets 3000 or more)

also you can get a blood test done and that should flag low sodium levels
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't watch it my sodium and I have no problems with water retention. I think for the most part sodium isn't something to stress about for most people. Would you rather eat salt or take medication? 6 I rather have the salt.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

My thoughts too! I was getting flagged almost every day for consuming too much sodium (2500mg+) by my BodyMedia. I worked to cut it down. Now, per my doctor's recommendations, I've stopped watching my sodium and am getting flagged again. My sodium levels were normal too.

Maybe it's just time for a new doctor? My BP is low, but perhaps there are other options to fix...
    Now that you have increased it have the dizzy spells gone away?

Your body will strive for balance. If you consume high amounts of sodium but drink enough water and have enough potassium and magnesium, baring medical issues like high blood pressure your body will find a natural balance.

Salt is one of he things your body uses to store water for use as you need it. If your water consumption is low your body will grab all he salt it can to store all he water it can. If your water consumption is high your body will let to of water and any additional salt it doesn't need because it doesn't need to store it for the future. Potassium and magnesium are also part of the way your body helps balance salt and water in the body.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    When you increase Sodium intake, your body retains additional water in order to keep the Sodium concentration in your blood within the desired range. It is this increase in blood volume which results in an increase in blood pressure.

I curious as to what your issue is with water retention, when that is exactly what your doctor is trying to achieve by increasing your Sodium intake..
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Definitely please think about a second opinion. Personally I have kind of low blood pressure but it drops even further if I stand for long periods, stand up quickly, exert myself, etc and I get dizzy and if I don't sit down I fully faint. I discovered that I have a minor (nondangerous) heart issue that plays into it. I'd definitely have somebody else take a second look.