Thinking about going vegan - beneficial?

Options
My goal isn't to lose weight, it's only to be healthy (though, dropping pounds is nice too). I've noticed such a difference ever since I started eating organic, gluten free and all-around healthy foods. However, I've been debating about going vegan. I can do without meat -- I only eat chicken anyway, and that's not very often. It's cutting out dairy that I'm sweating about.

Also -- can I really eat balanced meals by going vegan? Anyone with experiences who can help is greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• RaeRaeThePandaBear
    Options
    I've been vegan for 6 years and was a vegetarian for ten years before that. I thought I was healthy as a vegetarian, but after making the switch to veganism my whole body felt radically different and healthier.

Like you,.cutting out dairy was what I feared. I was addicted to cheese. I slathered everything I ate in cheese, even things you'd never think to put cheese on. But after six weeks you won't miss it. You just have to get thru the six weeks. Plus they make great dairy alternatives.

Give it a try!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan now for ten weeks or so, and one of the best things I have done for my health.
    My number one source for nutrition information is www.nutritionfacts.com. It is well researched, accessible and independent.
    Also check out the 'team vegan' group.
    If you have any specific questions - please feel free to message me.
    Kind regards,
    ben
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I looked into it, also interested in the health benefits. However, after doing a lot of research I concluded that a fully vegan diet is no more beneficial than a nutrient dense diet focused on whole plant foods, with meat, dairy and non-whole foods in moderation. I aim to follow Dr. Fuhrman's recommendation of 90%/10% now and really enjoy eating this way :)
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This is something I think about a lot. I rarely eat meat, when I do it's chicken or fish, but I love dairy. I've managed to give up milk after reading the horrors of milking cows, but I love yogurt and cheese and haven't succeeded in giving them up. I can't think of what to eat instead of them, plus there's a cost issue. I can't always afford dairy and meat substitutes.
  • ariana1990
    Options
    I'm slowly transition to being vegan and I'm actually excited! I decided to do this a few days ago when I ate shrimp and grits and felt sick from all of the cream and butter in it. Not only was I nauseated, but m heart was racing and I was getting hot flashes. it took me hours to feel better. Now obviously, that had more to do with the large amount of fatty dairy in the dish, but it inspired me to just take the dive into a more plant-based diet, as I had been contemplating for a while. My plan is to do the "VB6" thing - vegan before 6:00pm (or whenever your dinner time is). Basically, I eat meat and dairy free all day, and then when I get home and have dinner I can pretty much eat whatever I want. Now, for me, that's not an excuse to go CRAZY, but I do like having the freedom to have some lean meat with my veggies and rice, or maybe a slice of pizza every now and then. I don;t think I'll ever be fully vegan, and I don't really think I NEED to be. But so far, I'm enjoying it.

I'm also trying to cut back on carbs - I'm a lover of bread and could seriously eat french bread as a meal. Gotta focus on grains!

I'm hoping to lose a few pounds as a result of eating vegan 75% of the time, but I'm really in it more for the long-term health benefits. I also have acne and would love to see what happens to my skin now that I'm cutting out most dairy. I'm actually liking the soy lattes better than regular milk. It's creamier and usually has some vanilla flavor to it:)

I think you should give it a try, even if it's just for 50% or 75% of the day. I've found that when I get to dinner time, I'm more likely to make good choices after a day of vegan eating.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    <
    not even remotely vegan, with that said, I believe if you are doing it strictly for health reasons, it may be a struggle. I am sure that you will get lots of anecdotal evidence of its health benefits, but hard science is still iffy on it being healthier than eating a diet with meat and dairy. However, if you have a moral or ethical reason, it will be much easier in my opinion. It is difficult to maintain, but not impossible. If it fits your lifestyle, give it a go and see, just donr be afraid to go back if it doesnt work.
  • noelieSAURUSrex
    Options
    I am vegan and fully believe in the health benefits of living the lifestyle. I think it's different from one person to the next, but my recommendation is always try it for 30 days. Veganism isn't a permanent state of being. If you hate it, go for something else. I tend to agree with research that says dairy has an inflammatory affect on the body. My acne clears up and my stomach hurts less without the dairy. But see for yourself- it sounds like you're pretty close already. Grab some almond milk and coconut yogurt and it should be no problem.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Dairy is what has me stuck at vegetarian and not going all the way to vegan. There are quite a lot of dairy alternatives out there, I suggest trying them and seeing if you like them. I did that and found that I love vegan butter but am not that fond of vegan cheese (though a lot of people tell me Daya is good and I haven't tried that.) I also realized that I can't put anything in my tea except for cows milk. So I'd say that I'm about 85-90% vegan. That's good enough for me.

There is a book called "The 30 Day Vegan Challenge" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau and a website of the same name. Check that out. There is also a documentary called "Vegucated" that follows people who go vegan for 6 weeks. Check those out and make your plan from there! Good luck with it!

If you're interested in reading the science behind vegan and vegetarian lifestyles check out The China Study and the Adventist Health Study.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    "You hit like a vegetarian"

-Arnold Schwarzenegger
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I looked into it, also interested in the health benefits. However, after doing a lot of research I concluded that a fully vegan diet is no more beneficial than a nutrient dense diet focused on whole plant foods, with meat, dairy and non-whole foods in moderation. I aim to follow Dr. Fuhrman's recommendation of 90%/10% now and really enjoy eating this way :)

I would say that we are 90% vegan, 100% dairy and red meat free. I think a whole-foods, plant-based diet has worked very well for my husband and I - for weight loss and all-around just feeling good. I hate to use the term "Vegan" though, because that ruffles lots of feathers. Ha.