Switching up cardio - is it really effective

Options
2»

Replies

• wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    The only changes in my cardio have been ramping up the intensity. I would keep jogging and throw some intervals in there. Bye bye plateau!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, sorry to hijack the post, but after reading the responses, I have a follow up question.

I am resistance training and jogging. Does increasing weight in my resistance training add up to increasing/adjusting the level of intensity of my workouts? Or would I need to do something else in addition to that to keep my body from getting bored (reason tells me that increasing weight would challenge my body while building strength and therefore accomplish the same aim as "switching it up" but I'm still a bit of a novice about all of this...)?

Thanks, all!
    Yes, increasing the weight would be adjusting the level of your workout. You need to increase the weight in order to increase the work load on your muscles and build more muscle mass. You wouldn't want to do the same weight routine, or work the same muscle groups, every single workout, though. You could do an upper/lower body split or do push-pull exercises on alternating days. You could also add yoga or cardio (or other activity of your choice) on non-weight training days.
  • IouliaN
    IouliaN Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks all. I will check out intervals and try changing pace when I run. I don't think I will be raising intensity more and more, though. I don't feel that that's right for my body - not 17 any more plus want to stick to something that is sustainable. Guess I will have to watch my food more:(
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    To me switching up means increasing the intensity/duration and not swapping what you do. I do swap about mine but I do if for fun
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Add a resistance program, lift weights. It will help with your running if you learn to do compound lifts by strengthening your supporting muscles.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, sorry to hijack the post, but after reading the responses, I have a follow up question.

I am resistance training and jogging. Does increasing weight in my resistance training add up to increasing/adjusting the level of intensity of my workouts? Or would I need to do something else in addition to that to keep my body from getting bored (reason tells me that increasing weight would challenge my body while building strength and therefore accomplish the same aim as "switching it up" but I'm still a bit of a novice about all of this...)?

Thanks, all!
    Yes, increasing the weight would be adjusting the level of your workout. You need to increase the weight in order to increase the work load on your muscles and build more muscle mass. You wouldn't want to do the same weight routine, or work the same muscle groups, every single workout, though. You could do an upper/lower body split or do push-pull exercises on alternating days. You could also add yoga or cardio (or other activity of your choice) on non-weight training days.

Thanks so much for the info! That's very helpful! :flowerforyou:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I will check out intervals and try changing pace when I run. I don't think I will be raising intensity more and more, though. I don't feel that that's right for my body - not 17 any more plus want to stick to something that is sustainable. Guess I will have to watch my food more:(

If you are enjoying running, there is no reason to change it unless you really want to. A lot of runners bring in some form of CT (for you it is Yoga) to engage active recovery. But, if you are doing the same thing day in and day out running then your body will not adapt to become better. Think of it as a cardio version of body building. Body builders don't lift the same weight day in and day out and build muscle and strength that way. They need the added stimuli of more weight to enduce muscle growth.

Same concept with running. If you just stop at the 3 miles 3 times a week, that is what your body will become used to and eventually your body will have adapted as far as it needs to maintain that activity level. The calorie burn drops, and the running just becomes another activity in your every day life. But, if you add different stimuli (hills, intervals, speed sessions, varying long runs) then you are constantly creating some form of stress that your body has to adjust to which means cardio improvement...which in us runner's language means we can run faster or longer in the same period of time so maintaining the average calorie/hr burn.
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

If you are enjoying running, there is no reason to change it unless you really want to. A lot of runners bring in some form of CT (for you it is Yoga) to engage active recovery. But, if you are doing the same thing day in and day out running then your body will not adapt to become better. Think of it as a cardio version of body building. Body builders don't lift the same weight day in and day out and build muscle and strength that way. They need the added stimuli of more weight to enduce muscle growth.

Same concept with running. If you just stop at the 3 miles 3 times a week, that is what your body will become used to and eventually your body will have adapted as far as it needs to maintain that activity level. The calorie burn drops, and the running just becomes another activity in your every day life. But, if you add different stimuli (hills, intervals, speed sessions, varying long runs) then you are constantly creating some form of stress that your body has to adjust to which means cardio improvement...which in us runner's language means we can run faster or longer in the same period of time so maintaining the average calorie/hr burn.

Training progress may stop, but, if weight stays the same, the calorie expenditure will also stay the same. It does not drop. Over an extended period of time, mechanical efficiency "might" result in a decreased energy demand, but the decrease is not that great. Professional cyclists who ride hundreds of miles per week have only shown a 3%-5% improvement in "mechanical efficiency" over 5 years, so I hardly think the average jogger is going to see much difference in the course of a few weeks.

People constantly confuse training effect with caloric expenditure. Varying the training stimulus is essential for making continued improvement in fitness level and performance. However, varying exercise activity has no independent effect on calorie burn. As I have said before, it will likely decrease calorie burn because the person won't be able to push themselves as hard during the new activity.

The only indirect effect that what you are describing will have is that improved training will increase fitness level, which will in turn allow the exerciser to work at higher workloads and thus burn more calories. However, that is a result of the higher fitness level, not because of "muscle confusion".
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Training progress may stop, but, if weight stays the same, the calorie expenditure will also stay the same. It does not drop. Over an extended period of time, mechanical efficiency "might" result in a decreased energy demand, but the decrease is not that great. Professional cyclists who ride hundreds of miles per week have only shown a 3%-5% improvement in "mechanical efficiency" over 5 years, so I hardly think the average jogger is going to see much difference in the course of a few weeks.

People constantly confuse training effect with caloric expenditure. Varying the training stimulus is essential for making continued improvement in fitness level and performance. However, varying exercise activity has no independent effect on calorie burn. As I have said before, it will likely decrease calorie burn because the person won't be able to push themselves as hard during the new activity.

The only indirect effect that what you are describing will have is that improved training will increase fitness level, which will in turn allow the exerciser to work at higher workloads and thus burn more calories. However, that is a result of the higher fitness level, not because of "muscle confusion".

Can you direct me to the links supporting your quote about cyclists mechanical improvements of 3-5% ??
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cross training is a good idea for injury prevention, and to avoid boredom. Calorie burn, not a great reason to cross train.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Can you direct me to the links supporting your quote about cyclists mechanical improvements of 3-5% ??

Not in this case. I'm a working guy, not really a research librarian. I read a lot of studies--some of them I keep, some I don't. And they are filed in 3 or 4 different places. So you are just going to have to take the information at face value and either trust--or not trust--that I know what I'm talking about. I don't think I have this particular one around. It's an area of interest for me, so I tend to remember the details of studies that I think are particularly germane.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options

I would think you'd have to have a carefully-defined goal for doing that. Just changing for it's own sake is not very productive. If you are a runner, for example, then, unless you were interested in cross training to prevent injury or overtraining, it would be more beneficial to incorporate different training stimuli from the start (e.g. intervals, hills, endurance, etc) rather than, say, switch to cycling after 6-8 weeks. Maybe we are talking about two different things.
    That's why I stated program and not activity. I believe we are speaking in the same terms.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition