Feeling less attractive following weight

Options
I don't want to seem ungrateful I'm really pleased with my weight loss. I've lost 83llb..my quality of life has improved no end.. I was slowly and miserably dying of super morbid obesity. My face is much improved now I don't have a beard of fat hanging from my jaw line.. And in clothes I look ok..passable.. However naked is horrendous.. I know I've got a long way wl wise to go.. About 100 llbs but everything is droopy and hanging. And believe me no amount of dieting and exercise is fixing the problem.. I know its only going to get worse. As I lose more weight its all going to hang even further. Does anyone else feel like this.. Is this just price I've got to pay for years of poor health and food choices???

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't want to seem ungrateful I'm really pleased with my weight loss. I've lost 83llb..my quality of life has improved no end.. I was slowly and miserably dying of super morbid obesity. My face is much improved now I don't have a beard of fat hanging from my jaw line.. And in clothes I look ok..passable.. However naked is horrendous.. I know I've got a long way wl wise to go.. About 100 llbs but everything is droopy and hanging. And believe me no amount of dieting and exercise is fixing the problem.. I know its only going to get worse. As I lose more weight its all going to hang even further. Does anyone else feel like this.. Is this just price I've got to pay for years of poor health and food choices???

Give yourself time to adjust. If you still see it as a problem after you've lost the weight you want to lose, there are surgical options, so no, feeling poorly about some droopy skin is not a price that you have to pay. But maybe it isn't as bad as you think, and maybe you're viewing yourself more critically than other people would. Losing 83 pounds is something to celebrate. Go you!
  • alexismcgaffin
    Options
    How quickly did you lose that weight? And how much water are you drinking? Drinking 1 bottle over your recommended daily requirement can help with elasticity soooo much. If you're 200 pounds, you need to be drinking 100 ounces of water a day (You get the number of ounces by dividing your body weight in half). A normal bottle of water is 16.9 ounces so divide 100 by 16.9 and you get 5.9 or 6. Then add one more bottle to improve elasticity. And don't underestimate the power of lotion with added vitamin e. Losing weight quickly can have some of those bad side effects like hanging excess skin, but these are the nonsurgical ways to help reduce it. Strength training also helps.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Strength training definitely helps, and you may not be able to see those effects until you're closer to your goal. So keep at it. Feeling better and looking better are completely attainable.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Surgery will probably be necessary at some point. For now you can wear spanks or other tighter fitting workout clothes to support the loose skin. As stated before strength training builds up underlying muscle and helps you firm up and drinking water and lotion with vitamin E helps with elasticity. You can make it. :flowerforyou:
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Lots of weighttraing will help firm and if you still feel the way you do once you hit your goal, reward yourself with the surgical removal. You've earned it!! Good luck
  • stephanieann215
    Options
    I think you are doing a wonderful job!! It will take some time to tone up and get use to everything. Don't be so hard on yourself. From chatting with you. You seem to be a caring person, you have what a lot people don't have and that is compassion!! You care about what happens to animals. Yes, remember how you cut your walk short because you CARED what happened to a dog. Not a lot of people would do that. You care about others. You take time to email me and lift my spirits. Not a lot of people would care or take time to do that and finally the most important thing. You are a great mother. You are doing all of this to improve your health because the LOVE that you have for your daughter. To me this is all priceless. No matter what!! :flowerforyou:
  • Schatze1975
    Options
    You are very beautiful and the loose skin will get better with exercise. My friend who had lost all her weight from 300+ lbs looked great. She wasn't tall either. You actually couldn't tell she ever had weight on her! I seen when we would get dressed for clubs back in the day that she had a tad of skin on stomach but nothing that bothered her. She was so happy to be thin that it didn't bother her. You are very very pretty and just wait till you get to your goal! You will be literally a knock out!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Zingythingy,

I know just how you feel, I go through the same thing. I started this to get healthy and like you I am grateful for that, but I have had periods of depression due to how my body looked. Give it time, while all of our skin may not shrink it will get better. I have skin on my thighs that I dislike . . . I used to gate it and my new much smaller breast don't appear as deflated as they originally seemed. I know that at 45 mire than likely things won't firm up and while it is hard to balance that happy feeling between the scale and the mirror - it does get better over time.
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I feel fatter now than before I started loosing weight and I think it is because I was just unaware and clueless how heavy I really was. I am trying to celebrate my success but it is hard to ignore that I am not where I want to be so I can relate to your feelings. You really have had a lot of success and are about halfway where you want to be!.

Don't get discouraged, you will be regaining your health with your weight loss and your body will catch up with the loss if you exercise while losing weight. You may want to have some surgical correction at one point. My friend had some loose skin removed and it was a very easy surgery and a quick recovery. Her stomach muscles were toned underneath and she just had the excess skin removed - not a tummy tuck and a very less invasive procedure.

Lose the weight, exercise and wear tight compression garments whenever possible. The undergarments do help and patients even wear them after lipo and procedures as it helps your body naturally hold its shape.
  • fatfubar
    Options
    Think of the flabby bits as a badge of courage that you achieved because you were willing to take that step of becoming healthier even if doesn't look so great...at the moment.

If you get the muscles toned then got with Linde's suggestion below and get the excess skin removed.

Staying on the weight loss journey is the hardest part because inside we still don't believe we are a beautiful woman..my thoughts only though
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You have made tremendous strides in your health. Wow!! I'm sure your loved ones are both in awe and over the moon with your progress.

As others have stated, you are getting used to the new you. I know when I lost my weight (60lbs) it took me a while to get use to seeing me in the mirror.

Also, when you finally stablize, you will then be able to decide what your next step is. The main thing is...you have done AWESOME!