Mileage for newish runners

Options
Hello runners,
I'm just wondering what sort of mileage you're getting in a week, as well as what you started out with and the rate that you've increased at. I'm getting about 6-10 miles a week in right now, and though I am mostly focusing on weight training I've rekindled a past love for running. I think I'd like to up my distances a bit but I'm not too sure how much I should aim for
A couple years ago I was doing a lot more running and ended up getting injured because of improper stretching and, I think, doing too much too soon, so I'd love any advice on a good way to increase distance without putting my body at risk (I have figured out the stretching thing and I've been pretty good about it so far)
Thanks!

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I started couch to 10k in February. Completed that end of may, I think. Then went to the smartcoach app on runners world, put in my weekly mileage (I think I was around 18-24km) and said I wanted to do a half marathon by October 13th. Followed the program mostly, and it worked out fine. Until I took an involuntary swan dive off some stairs and decided to take some time off... Back to about 24-30 km a week now, my high was probably 35-40 km for a few weeks at the end of August...
    The rule of thumb is to increase no more than 10% a week, and every fourth week or so, reduce by 10-20% to recover.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    General rules;

Increase by 10% each week
    Focus on distance first. Once your aerobic base is built you can worry about speed work and intervals
    Get fitted at a running store for good shoes
    Do you runs at a pace where you could carry on a conversation
    Listen to your body. If your legs need to rest, rest.

It might help to sign up for a 10k that is a few months away and work towards that, but if you just like running- get out there and run.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Remember biggest running issue and injuries are because" To fast, to far, to soon" increase gradually.
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I did Couch to 5k in June, moved on the 5k to 10k in August, and now I am working on Hal Higdon's Novice Half Marathon training. I started out with about 5-10 miles a week. After four months of consistent running I have ran as much as 20 miles in one week. I will say that was not exactly comfortable at the time. I am most comfortable around 15-17 miles a week right now. I think it all depends on what your body can handle. Listen to your body is the best advice I can give, because I have personally went on a run when in the back of my mind I knew I probably shouldn't and it was a mistake. You don't want to give yourself shin splints or Plantar Fasciitis and then have to take a week off!

Best of luck! :wink:
  • ravenasaurus
    Options
    Awesome guys, thanks for the input!