Step aerobics addicts here? Need advise

Options
Hi,

about 2 years ago I stated working out with workout DVDs, a great part of it was step aerobics. I started with an old Susan Powter DVD and then moved on to Kari Anderson's "Go." Love that one! Well, after 6 months I fell off the wagon and now I started again a week ago. After the long break Kari is still exhausting for me (yes, I know it's a beginner's tape, but I AM a beginner - and I am obese)
But it's not as hard as when I started 2 years ago and I already noticed a progress :smile:

Kari is nice, but I've done that tape so often, I need a change. I'd like to move on to another tape after another week or two. Now, the problem is that I love step aerobics but I'm not very talented (two left feet) and I still don't have much endurance. Is there a beginner's tape you could recommend? Maybe one comparable to Kari's style in "Go"? Two years ago I tried one or two tapes of other instructors, but they where too difficult or I didn't like them.

Oh, and if there is a step aerobics group or a step challenge, I'd like to join it! :smile:

Thanks,

peanut

Replies

• BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    peanut,

I LOVE step & have been doing it since the early 1990's. However, I like advanced workouts w/somewhat complex choreography (Seasun, Amy Bento....). But I DO hear great things about Debra Mazda workouts. SHe is a plus-sized woman & it sounds like her workouts are great. SHe even has a yoga one. I know she has a few step workouts. If I were you, I would go to collagevideo.com & search under step aerobics & filter out to look at all the beginner & intermediate level workouts. You will be able to view about 2 minute clips to see if the style of the workout is right for you. It will even give a breakdown of the minutes you're on the step, how complex the choreography is, how high of impact, etc....

I've been on here over a year & I've never seen a step check-in.
  • BiloxiBelle
    Options
    ok I looked for you & here's what I found that may work:

Debra Mazda: SHapely Girl-Let's Get Stepping
    Gin Miller: Everybody STeps
    Cathe Friedrich: Low Impact STep; Basic STep; Body Fusion (3 different workouts)
    Christi Taylor: Mission Possible

Hope that helps!!
  • peanut1967
    peanut1967 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for looking! I have Gin Miller's Everybody steps but found it boring. I'll check out the others though (never dared to try cathe or christi because most pepole say they are so challenging and more for the advanced exerciser)

peanut
  • BiloxiBelle
    Options
    Thank you so much for looking! I have Gin Miller's Everybody steps but found it boring. I'll check out the others though (never dared to try cathe or christi because most pepole say they are so challenging and more for the advanced exerciser)

peanut
    Usually Cathe & Christi are more advanced. But they both have the workouts listed above that are not. I actually got the Cathe Low Impact Step & the Christi one when I was having some knee issues & had to take down my intensity level. It's been a really long time since I have done those workouts so I can't comment on how fun they are or anything. I'll keep thinking & come back & post if I think of any others that might work for you.
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have Cathes Basic Step and it is in no way difficult the choreography is easy to learn and it also comes with Body Fusion which is a circuit type workout and that one is easy to plus you get and upper, lower and ab workout. I think it would be totally doable for you. I do it on the days when I don't want a tough workout but still burn close to 200 cals with it.
  • BiloxiBelle
    Options
    So another instructor that is usually very complex/advanced is Patrick Goudeau. He is usually very, very dancey & spins all over the place. However, I like him and find him fun. He has 1 step workout that is supposed to be a beginner/intermediate level called "Quick Step". He does spin a bit & hop over the step so I don't know if that would bother you or not? But it's worth checking out. I really like his Hard Work Conditioning series & I'm sure he's just as great doing step.