body fat %

Options
What is the best and least expensive way to have ones body fat % assessed?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Looking at pictures is pretty cheap. I also found the pictures to be consistent with my hydrostatic test results. YMMV.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Only 100% accurate way is with water immersion tanks or air displacement pods, but both are usually expensive, if they even have them in your area. Most studies have shown, that electrical impedance scales are the next best thing. Some people say calipers, but studies have shown that people will pinch at different pressures & that scales are usually more accurate, fast, & what most health facilities use now. You can get the scales pretty cheap (if you're stateside) at Bed Bath & Beyond & just use one of their 20% off coupons that are all over the place. The Weight Watchers or Biggest Loser scales are highly rated.

BUT scales are very sensitive to your hydration levels, so to make it as accurate a reading as possible, make sure you're well hydrated. That usually means the best time to measure is in the evening. Do not eat or drink anything, even water for 4 hours before you weigh, but hydrate like crazy up until the cut off. Also, try not to exercise for 12 hours before weighing, as the workout can dehydrate as well. Feet should be completely dry, so better before any shower.

On the photos you've mentioned, I've found that if you want to look like a particular photo, you usually need to be at a body fat percentage that's one photo lower than the photo you like.
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good ideas, thanks. To what photos are you referring though?
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Good ideas, thanks. To what photos are you referring though?

Here's one website that has the photos. But as I said, if you liked the 20% photo look, I think you really have to get down to 15%. So I think these photos are a little too kind, at least for the women, don't know about the men. Scroll down to get a bigger photo of the different levels.

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great pics = great visual for comparison. Thanks for the link!