What shoes do you lift in?

Options
I'm thinking a good, budget friendly option would be Chuck Taylors. Yay or nay? I've only been lifting a few months so I don't want to invest in an expensive pair of shoes made specifically for weight lifting if I don't need to. Would I be wasting money on Chuck Taylors?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yes- chucks are great

I lift in my vibrams and my new balance minims or however they are spelled.

they are a minimalist shoe. anything that's flat and not compression-y is great.
  • MissMary02
    MissMary02 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My husband takes his shoes off and lifts in just his socks. While he was in the army he broke his 5th metatarsal and had to have a screw put in. Because of that he walks with his weight on his outer heel so his shoes wear out fast in that area. Making it an unbalanced surface and not good to lift with. If you can't find a good shoe, give the no shoe a go.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Someone just brought it to my attention that Chucks are totally flat. I have a history of plantar fasciitis so those won't work for me after all. What would be a descent, budget friendly lifting shoe?
  • christianteach
    Options
    My husband takes his shoes off and lifts in just his socks. While he was in the army he broke his 5th metatarsal and had to have a screw put in. Because of that he walks with his weight on his outer heel so his shoes wear out fast in that area. Making it an unbalanced surface and not good to lift with. If you can't find a good shoe, give the no shoe a go.

I've been doing it in my socks, but because of my past PF my doctor doesn't want me to ever walk without shoes with an arch support. I even keep a pair of clogs next to my bed so I can clip them on when I get up...that's when it's most likely to bother me, even though I feel like I don't have it anymore since it doesn't hurt all the time.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Chucks seems like a reasonable solution.

I really like my Inov-8 F-lites...3mm drop. I also run in them as I like them better than my Brooks Adrenaline running shoes.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I personally just use a pair of Nikes... Stay away from running shoes tho and I dont use my orthotics bc I notice my feet tend to roll out and forward when I use them.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    No shoes! I have cardio at the beginning of my workout so I use running shoes and it's just a pain to have to change into another pair. I get some funny looks but afaik it's safe :)
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I use cheap, perfectly flat soled shoes. Like these ones:

article-2418258-185FF5DC000005DC-676_306x423.jpg
  • christianteach
    Options
    I use cheap, perfectly flat soled shoes. Like these ones:

article-2418258-185FF5DC000005DC-676_306x423.jpg

Those are cute!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    When I had my rack at home I lifted barefoot...

Now my rack is in a garage with a coarse finished concrete floor, I use Chuck's.

I prefer being barefoot though. If I'm messing around with a kettlebell or two at home I'll be barefoot too. Feels different somehow.....
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I wear flat high tops, I have a fair few
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I like to lift in Vibrams. No padding sole, flexible, comfortable, and don't need socks.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    My mainstay are my baseball open toes flip flops. One of the gyms I go to have a rule against them, but I'm lucky enough they make an exception for me.

Most comfortable as I beat my feet up quite a bit.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I lift in Merrell Barefoot Crosstrainers. They are very flat, no padding, but do have a little arch support. The soles are also very sticky/grabby so they don't slide around when you're trying to keep your feet planted (lunges, push-ups and planks).
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Chuck's or Keen Coronados.
  • smallsadsam
    smallsadsam Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Want to read later!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Chuck's are great but my preference is Vibram's Komodosport LS

Best of Luck
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    http://www.clothingattesco.com/all-shoes/f+f-sports-trainers/invt/ek239072/&bklist=icat,4,shop,catgshoes,mens-footwear

Cheap trainers - the sole is made of plastic not rubber. :D

As for slipping, I ain't going nowhere when deadlifting or whatever!
  • RosaFriesen
    RosaFriesen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Jimmer, I also have a rack in my garage and wear chucks. Perfect combo :)
  • midwestmixtape
    midwestmixtape Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter.

Comfortable sneakers are fine. Flip flops are fine. It's not a fashion show and as long as it is comfortable, it won't affect your form.