What can I do with my ground turkey(turkey mince)?

Options
2»

Replies

• bunnybutler29
    Options
    Ground turkey can be used in place of any ground meat. I use it for tacos, meatloaf, burgers, spaghetti, chili, on pizzas for the kids. Turkey and black beans burgers are yummy and even my husband loves them. With a family of five that is one easy way to stretch out food.
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is mini turkey meatloaf with sundried tomatos
    You do it in a cupcake pan, they are too cute and make it easy to control portions

1 lb ground turkey
    1 egg
    1/2 cup rehydrarted sun dried toms
    1/4 whole wheq bread crumbs
    1/4 parm
    fresh parsley
    mix it up , saving the parm

bakefor 30 mins @ 350
    sprinkle parm n top for last five minutes
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Another vote for just using it as a substitute for ground beef in any recipe you've got... I use it in chili, bolognese sauce, tacos, meatballs, burgers, etc.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Make meatballs with it. Its pretty moist and holds together good without a binder like eggs. It can easily be over worked so pay attention to that aspect. I make a slurry of onion, jalapeno and garlic and mix into it along with oregano. Use very little bread crumb. I like to grill mine but of course you can bake too. I serve mine with a homemade Tequila Cranberry Orange Chutney. Have a good one
  • Heroness
    Options
    Thank you for all the brill info. I like the sound of the meatloaf. Although I have never made on myself yet...I asked my German husband if he knows what meatloaf is...

So his answer was it is either a singer or a type of meat cake that you bake in the oven! Love it!
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do not buy ground beef anymore, only ground turkey. My children don't even notice. They have adapted :) I use it in spaghetti, chili, tacos, etc.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I LOVE (in fact I am having it tonite)...I brown the ground turkey..then add like...a half a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and throw in two cups of spinach..I may sprinkle it with a bit of Adobo seasoning..then I put it in a low carb tortilla with either a serving of 2% milk fat cheese or else 2 tbsp of my favorite hummus..wrap up and voila! A filling meal!
  • Aust1967
    Aust1967 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am going to try the Bob Harper recipe for meatballs - it sounds so good to add rice to it! Thanks!
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    use just like beef for burgers, meatballs, stuffed peppers, stuffed tomatoes and meatloaf, just need to add some extra spice (cumin, coriander, chili powder, cayenne) to compensate for blandness.

oh yeah, I bake mine to not add additional fat, I place them on a cooling rack that I then place on the cookie tray so they brown evenly all around.
  • thefitzner
    thefitzner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey for everything. I make:

Turkey Meatballs 1/2 cup breadcrumbs - you can use quinoa instead if you like, 1 egg or egg substitute, 1/2 onion minced - I usually throw the onion and a couple of cloves of garlic in a mini prep chopper, salt, and a couple of spoonfulls of greek yogurt. Mix all together and form into golf-ball sized balls. Bake at 425 for 20 - 25 minutes)

Turkey burgers with quinoa: 1 package ground turkey, 1/3 cup cooked quinoa, kosher salt, garlic powder, dehydrated onions, Worchester sauce

Turkey meatloaf: Basically the same as turkey meatballs, but I add dried ground mustard and Worchester sauce, skip the greek yogurt and put ketchup over the top before cooking in the oven.

Turkey lettuce cups: 1 Package ground turkey, 1/2 onion - chopped, 1-2 cloves of garlic, fresh ginger or ground ginger powder, yoshida's teriyaki sauce (if I have more time, then I mix my own sauce), and 1 can water chestnuts. Cook all together in saute pan and then wrap in lettuce.

Turkey taco salad: 1 package ground turkey, 1/2 onion, 2 Tbs onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 Tsp chili powder (more if you like it spicy), 1 tsp ground oregano, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbs all purpose flour, 1 can tomato sauce. - sauté onion until softened then add turkey and all spices, cook until turkey is brown. Then add the flour and sauté for 1 minute to cook off the flour taste. Then add in the can of tomato sauce. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes until heated through. I don't eat tortillas so I put it over shredded lettuce, but you can make regular tacos as well. Depending on your taste, you can add light sour cream or plain greek yogurt, avocado, olives, fat-free refried beans, etc...

I've also been known to sauté ground turkey, onions, salt, garlic and cubed sweet potato. And also take that recipe and add chopped fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes depending on what I have on hand.
  • lesliegail1986
    lesliegail1986 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Turkey Burgers! What I do is mix 4 tablespoons salsa and some chopped onion (however much you like) in with the meat and separate into 4 Patties. Delicious!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I love to use ground turkey for tacos. I like the consistency way better than ground beef specifically for those.
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Turkey Burgers! What I do is mix 4 tablespoons salsa and some chopped onion (however much you like) in with the meat and separate into 4 Patties. Delicious!

This sounds great. Will have to try.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    use just like beef for burgers, meatballs, stuffed peppers, stuffed tomatoes and meatloaf, just need to add some extra spice (cumin, coriander, chili powder, cayenne) to compensate for blandness.

oh yeah, I bake mine to not add additional fat, I place them on a cooling rack that I then place on the cookie tray so they brown evenly all around.

One thing I've found is that since turkey is leaner, it dries out more easily when you bake it or use it in burgers. You might find that adding an egg white or a little skim milk helps in that department - obviously not as much of an issue with a chili!
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I often use chicken mince to make spaghetti bolognaise, it tastes fine to me!

Do you have the recipe for spaghetti bolognaise? It sounds wonderful!