Effect of NSAIDs & arthritis on weight loss

Options
Anyone else having the same problem as me i.e. very very slow weight loss despite reducing calorie intake below 1200 ( on doctors orders)? Would be interested to know what works for you, all my stats say I should be losing faster than I am.

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Haven't noticed a difference, I take motrin 400mg 2-4 times a day as needed. I lost 10lbs in the first 2 weeks. If you are taking a stronger medication, those with narcotics in them will make you be constipated and hold weight. Talk to your doctor about it, maybe there is something else.
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Wow well done you, has taken me 9 weeks to lose 8 lbs but my doctor just says to eat less & not to eat exercise calories. Today for example with 1,000 calories per day as my target mfp says I have nearly 1200 calories left.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard anything about NSAID's with regards to weight loss issues.

If you don't mind me asking, why is your doctor prescribing such a low calorie amount? Just curious.
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    He says the equation is simple if I don't lose weight on 1200 calories I am eating too much so to lower to 1,000 or as close to that as possible including, where possible, my exercise calories. He was quite specific that I should try to avoid eating any exercise calories. If I swim for 90 minutes I try not to eat more than 1200 & finally am losing a little but is still slow whereas on 1200 plus some exercise calories I lose nothing & have been trying for nearly 2 years. He says to disregard the fact my meds say, " may cause weight gain". Actually gained a little since Thursday but have lost inches in last few weeks so my 5 hours of swimming per week is helping, finally after 16 months! Is the only exercise my condition allows .
    My diary is open if anyone has any suggestions.