Can you eat too little if you're eating whole foods?

Options

Replies

• wheels6030
    wheels6030 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'll try the milk thing. That's a good idea. I just don't want to eat extra dessert or anything like that solely to boost my calories. I still want it to be good food. Thanks for all the replies!

48856395.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • wheels6030
    wheels6030 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1/2 a cup of Almonds (360 calories) and a glass (2 measured cups worth) of chocolate milk (300 calories) = 660 calories and is barely a snack in my opinion.... and Rice (1 cup is 200 calories) last time I checking is pretty calorie dense as well.... So between the almonds, milk, and a cup of rice you would be looking at 860 calories....... I just find it hard to believe anyone would have a problem eating 1000 calories a day..... You need to eat more calorie dense food if you can't make up your calories... I have been in maintenance for the past year at 4000 calories a day and have no problem hitting that mark daily..... Best of Luck....

Holy crap 4000!! How do you do that!!? And how is your maintenance 4000? You must exercise hours every day!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    1/2 a cup of Almonds (360 calories) and a glass (2 measured cups worth) of chocolate milk (300 calories) = 660 calories and is barely a snack in my opinion.... and Rice (1 cup is 200 calories) last time I checking is pretty calorie dense as well.... So between the almonds, milk, and a cup of rice you would be looking at 860 calories....... I just find it hard to believe anyone would have a problem eating 1000 calories a day..... You need to eat more calorie dense food if you can't make up your calories... I have been in maintenance for the past year at 4000 calories a day and have no problem hitting that mark daily..... Best of Luck....

Holy crap 4000!! How do you do that!!? And how is your maintenance 4000? You must exercise hours every day!
    A friend of mine has a Bodymedia, like I do. He 28, is 5'8, maybe 140lbs and easily burns 4000 calories every single day. I am always trying to beat his daily burns (and rarely can, as I mentioned, my TDEE is 2750ish). He doesn't do ANY cardio or lifting, just is an active person and keeps busy. And I HAVE hit 4,000 on numerous occasions without exercising for hours. A good bike combined with an active day at work, maybe a kickboxing class in the evening. Boom, baby.:bigsmile:
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get to the end of the day and only have eaten 1000 calories even though I've gone through a lot of food. I eat a lot of rice and stuff like that, which is low on the calories, but very filling. If I feel like I've eaten a lot of food and have gotten my nutrition, should I force myself to eat more (So I don't get that note warning me that I'm eating too little) or just be satisfied with what I've done for the day?

1,000 calories is not enough food to fuel your body. In fact, I doubt ti would barely give you half a tank of fuel.

That said, my guess is you are eating more than 1,000 calories per day, especially with rice and "stuff like that." What is "stuff like that," anyway? :smile:

1 cup of rice generally has 216-300 calories, depending on the type of rice. That's not low in calories, even though its darn delicious and can be worked into any eating plan.

You don't need enough calories to fuel your day - that's what your body fat is for. So long as you're getting enough nutrients, fat, protein, etc. you actually don't need any calories at all. They've done studies where they inject people with their full day's worth of nutrients, and then the person doesn't eat or drink anything (except possibly water, I now don't remember) and they were perfectly healthy just burning their own body fat for well over a year I believe. I don't remember now where to find that study, but MFP's idea of needing a set amount of calories to fuel your day is wrong. It's just nutrients you actually need so long as you have body fat to burn.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "You don't need enough calories to fuel your day - that's what your body fat is for. So long as you're getting enough nutrients, fat, protein, etc. you actually don't need any calories at all. They've done studies where they inject people with their full day's worth of nutrients, and then the person doesn't eat or drink anything (except possibly water, I now don't remember) and they were perfectly healthy just burning their own body fat for well over a year I believe. I don't remember now where to find that study, but MFP's idea of needing a set amount of calories to fuel your day is wrong. It's just nutrients you actually need so long as you have body fat to burn."
    [/quote]

Please DO NOT listen to this advice, as it is wrong!!! Do you think if you "inject" protein, fats & carbs into a person they aren't getting any "calories"? That's ridiculous! I'm a newborn intensive care physician (neonatologist) & I write for IV nutrition every day in the form of TPN (total parenteral nutrition) for babies who are too stick to nipple & ingest their nutrients through their GI track. You can get them to "maintain" with fewer calories IV, because there is no waste in the stool, but we are still giving both nutrients (fats, carbs, protein, vitamins & minerals) & calories! The MINIMUM recommended calories/day for women is 1200 calories/day in order to absorb your "essential nutrients." That isn't to maintain weight, but just meet minimal requirements! It is generally not healthy to ingest 1200 cals/day over the long term, UNLESS you are morbidly obese & under a physician's care. And by physician's care, I mean a physician well versed (knowledgable)with in depth nutrition, which is NOT your general practitioner!

Also, most women need 100-120 grams of protein/day to minimize lean body mass loss (i.e. muscle). If you are not eating meats, then you need to find another source for your protein. Fats are also important, no only for health, but also to adequately absorb fat soluble vitamins. Based on the little info you've given about your diet, it sounds like you need to up your intake of both protein & fats.

By the way, MFP has a calorie deficit built into it's calorie suggestion, You should NOT eat below that suggestion. You should also eat back your exercise calories, again, because there is a deficit already figured in!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    LOL. Bull****.

1/2 cup of rice = 150 calories

So either all you eat is celery, carrots, rice and water, you're underestimating your intake, or you're just not eating anything.

Either way, 1000 calories is a joke.

I'm out.

Man. Someone seriously has some anger issues in all her replies. Meow.

I thought that was a dude until I clicked on the profile....
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Dark angel: I think you need to quit giving advice. There is no way to get protein/fat needs without calories. There is nothing injectable to meet those needs that does not contain calories also. There are ways to meet peoples need wih injections (tpn) for sick people who cannot eat, but that contains calories!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    LOL. Bull****.

So either all you eat is celery, carrots, rice and water, you're underestimating your intake, or you're just not eating anything.

I'm out.

Really? I don't perceive any anger issues in that reply.

In fact, 1,000 calories a day does not afford a person much more than carrots, rice, water, and very little rice.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get to the end of the day and only have eaten 1000 calories even though I've gone through a lot of food. I eat a lot of rice and stuff like that, which is low on the calories, but very filling. If I feel like I've eaten a lot of food and have gotten my nutrition, should I force myself to eat more (So I don't get that note warning me that I'm eating too little) or just be satisfied with what I've done for the day?

1,000 calories is not enough food to fuel your body. In fact, I doubt ti would barely give you half a tank of fuel.

That said, my guess is you are eating more than 1,000 calories per day, especially with rice and "stuff like that." What is "stuff like that," anyway? :smile:

1 cup of rice generally has 216-300 calories, depending on the type of rice. That's not low in calories, even though its darn delicious and can be worked into any eating plan.

You don't need enough calories to fuel your day - that's what your body fat is for. So long as you're getting enough nutrients, fat, protein, etc. you actually don't need any calories at all. They've done studies where they inject people with their full day's worth of nutrients, and then the person doesn't eat or drink anything (except possibly water, I now don't remember) and they were perfectly healthy just burning their own body fat for well over a year I believe. I don't remember now where to find that study, but MFP's idea of needing a set amount of calories to fuel your day is wrong. It's just nutrients you actually need so long as you have body fat to burn.

re the bit in bold... you know that fat and protein contain calories, right? So you can't possibly get enough fat and protein, while not getting any calories at all. You can meet all your calorie requirements without taking in any carbs, by getting them from fat and protein. That's doable, although you may suffer from "brain fog" or being unable to exercise at your usual intensity due to the lack of carbs in your system, but you won't die or become malnourished.

the study sounds bogus (or you totally and utterly misunderstood it), because "a full day's worth of nutrients" includes eating enough calories for the day, because fat, protein and carbs, i.e. the things your body gets calories from *are* nutrients. Sounds like maybe you're confusing calories and carbs. Or the study showed that if people were given all the nutrition they need (which means enough calories for the day) they never got hungry and didn't want to eat. But if they're having all the nutrients their body needs injected into them, they won't be living off their body fat, they'd be living off the nutrients injected into them.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    LOL. Bull****.

I'm out.

Are you always this angry? May I suggest some yoga?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    LOL. Bull****.

I'm out.

Really? I don't perceive any anger issues in that reply.

In fact, 1,000 calories a day does not afford a person much more than carrots, rice, water, and very little rice.

I'm inclined to suggest that if someone is struggling to eat 1000 cals a day while eating a lot of rice and saying that rice is a low calorie food, then perhaps they're using an inaccurate measure of how many calories are in the rice, e.g. confusing cooked and raw rice, or an inaccurate database entry (there's a lot of them), so as a result they're actually consuming a lot more than 1000 cals, and really are eating a lot of rice.

This may not be the explanation, but it is something the OP should check.

OP: firstly, are you confusing rice between raw and cooked rice? there's a big difference in calories per grams between raw and cooked, as cooked rice absorbs a lot of water? Secondly, have you double checked the calorie values for rice that you're logging? It could be that you're actually getting quite a few more calories from rice than you think, and you're not really eating only 1000 cals, which would explain why you feel full and can't eat more than that...
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

^^^ This. And if there was anyone I would follow advice from on here, it would be him.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    LOL. Bull****.

I'm out.

I'm sorry, but this made me LOL. And out of curiosity, does Yoga help with anger?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but this made me LOL. And out of curiosity, does Yoga help with anger?
    It wouldn't work for me. Yoga just peeves me right off, because I am too uncoordinated to do it properly. :laugh:
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    LOL. Bull****.

I'm out.

Traditionally yoga is a spiritual thing. It seems to help a lot of people relax as well.

When I Googled yoga and anger I found this: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Yoga-for-Anger-Management
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

With all due respect, this is the worst advice posted here and just plain bad info.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am flabberghasted at 1000 calories. I had 923 at breakfast.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as calorie dense whole foods. You need more than fruit and veg for proper nutrition. It is pretty much impossible to actually get proper nutrition on that low of calories. Eat some nuts and nut butter...eggs...avocado...get your protein and fats and you will get your calories up.