This girl is "new" to lifting and needs help!

Options
I've been lifting consistently now for about 8 weeks...I can see a huge difference in my body, but sometimes I feel like I'm just screwing around and I don't actually have "a plan". I'm lifting with with 60 mins of moderate cardio 3 days/week and sticking to an hour of more intense cardio 3 days week. Can someone who knows what they're doing offer some advice on how to modify my current "plan". I'm also looking for friends who lift, so please feel free to add me!

Tuesday: Legs

Kettlebell swings= 6kg X 40reps X 3 sets
Lunges= 2.5 kg dumbell X 30 reps X 3 sets
Wide Stance Kettlebell Squats= 10kg 15 reps X 3 sets
Leg Press= 75 kg X 20 reps X 3 sets
Abdominal Leg Raises= 0kg X 15 reps X 3 sets
Bent Knee Situps- 0kg X 25 reps X 3 sets

*HELP ME HERE- WHAT ARE SOME OTHER GOOD LEG WORKOUTS?

Thursday: Chest/Back
Back Extensions= 5kg X 15 reps X 3 sets
Bench Press= 25 kg X 15 reps X 3 sets
Chest Press= 15kg X 15 reps X 3 sets
Inline Press= 15kg X 15 reps X 3 sets
Lat Pull down= 27kg X 15 reps X 3 sets
Dumbell Fly= 10 kg X 15 reps X 3 sets

Saturday: Arms?
Shoulder Press= 10kg X 15 reps X 3 sets
Push Ups= Body X 15 reps X 3 sets
Modified Dips= Body X 15 reps X 3 sets
Bicep Curls= 10kg X 15 reps X 3 sets
Overhead Tri Extensions= 10kg X 15 reps X 3 sets
Front Raises= 2kg X 15 reps X 3 sets
Lateral Raises= 2kg X 15 reps X 3 sets

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of full body, compound lifts. Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength routines are a good place to start.

But I'm far from an expert.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    At the moment, wouldn't you be better off with a whole-body compound lift session three times a week rather than splits?
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of full body, compound lifts. Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength routines are a good place to start.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I suspect experts would suggest the same, anyway.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

new rules of lifting for women is also a great option.

you're program isn't all that bad- but big compounds are very helpful as well.

actually they are awesome :D
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, start with a routine that starts you on a light weight, and focuses on compound lifts (i.e. bench press, squats, dead lifts, rows). This will give you a good base to work off of, which will help you with whatever goals you have.

I would look up Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't mind body part splits if that's what you enjoy, but how you're setting it up is a bit convoluted. First off, you don't really need to post the weight because that should always be on the way up as you get stronger. Second of all, 30-40 rep on some exercises is a bit overkill. I'd cap all of them at 15 rep sets (or 15 per side for things like lunges), but do some lower rep, higher weight sets for some exercise that are better strength builders like the big compound lifts.
  • hevans1207
    hevans1207 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! So, this is me being new to lifting...most of your responses I didn't fully understand without googling my way through strong lifts, compound lifts, etc...but I am learning...we all have to start somewhere. I'll also check out new rules of lifting for women. Another part of be being new to this and not fully understanding...I thought starting with isolated workouts was better...and now I know that's probably not the case.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't mind body part splits if that's what you enjoy, but how you're setting it up is a bit convoluted. First off, you don't really need to post the weight because that should always be on the way up as you get stronger. Second of all, 30-40 rep on some exercises is a bit overkill. I'd cap all of them at 15 rep sets (or 15 per side for things like lunges), but do some lower rep, higher weight sets for some exercise that are better strength builders like the big compound lifts.

oh lord I totally didn't see that. 40 is a lot- yes.
  • Humbugsftw
    Humbugsftw Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you are doing way too much isolation stuff. It looks really complicated.

Get those compound lifts under your belt, 3 times a week, with some cardio and you'll be good. Eat well and you'll be great!

Look at Stronglifts 5x5 for a good workout plan. Good luck!
  • sass_hole
    sass_hole Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love New Rules of Lifting for Women. If you don't have access to that, bodybuilding.com has some really great programs available.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love New Rules of Lifting for Women. If you don't have access to that, bodybuilding.com has some really great programs available.
    I love bodybuilding.com and they provide videos examples and routines. Love stronglifts too instead of NROLFW (New Rules of Lifting for Women) - I thought it was really complicated myself.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the grain and say it's okay to do some isolation exercises if you enjoy them. But they should be an accessory to the main compound, strength building lifts. Like Squats, Overhead Press, Bench Press, Deadlifts, and whatever variation of Pullups/Chinups (Lat Pulldowns even) you like.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I love bodybuilding.com and they provide videos examples and routines. Love stronglifts too instead of NROLFW (New Rules of Lifting for Women) - I thought it was really complicated myself.

NROLfW can seem really complicated if you read it cover to cover because it is 6-9 months worth of workouts with multiple options for each exercise. But it's really not. It's two workouts that you alternate between with about 6 lifts each. You choose the version of the lift based on your fitness level and you increase the weight and decrease the reps ever third workout.

OP, not only are you missing compound lifts, but I don't see a lot of push/pull variation to make sure you are developing your muscles in a balanced way. I would definitely look into a structured beginners program like Starting Strength, strong lifts, or
    NROLFW.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    Lifting more weight less reps > lifting less weight more reps.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! So, this is me being new to lifting...most of your responses I didn't fully understand without googling my way through strong lifts, compound lifts, etc...but I am learning...we all have to start somewhere. I'll also check out new rules of lifting for women. Another part of be being new to this and not fully understanding...I thought starting with isolated workouts was better...and now I know that's probably not the case.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Definitely add squats - not the body weight type - most gyms have low weight padded bars (12 - 20lbs) for squats start with those and work your way up to using the squat racks. I am only using the bar (45lbs) + 5 lbs currently and it is an incredible leg and full body work out.

I would see if your gym has an assisted chin up and dips machine. That way you can really get a less isolated upper body workout. Good for a lot of muscles in your top half.