New from the UK

Options
TMLS
TMLS Posts: 125 Member
Hi,

I think the easiest way to introduce myself is just to copy my "About Me", I think it says everything!

This time last year (July/August 2009) I was 26 stone and stuck in a rut. Over the rest of the year I started to slowly notice that my trousers were becoming looser. Eventually, just before Christmas I started feeling ill and was drinking (soft drinks) constantly.

I finally bit the bullet on Tuesday 22nd December and went to see my Doctor - who immediately sent me to A&E, where I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, having lost 2 stone. I was told I had to change my life and I did.

I immediately changed my diet (not easy at Christmas) and in January I bought Wii Fit. Soon I was going for walks and joined a gym. I am now working out a couple or a few times a week, walk into town when possible and keep active.

At the end of July 2010 I hit 19 stone, meaning I'd lost 5 stone since Christmas. Was I fat and happy? No. Am I happy now? Yes, and I still have a long way to go.

I had been fat since I was 6 years old, but I'd now say with only a little bit of an ironic tongue in my cheek that Diabetes was the best thing that ever happened to me - I'd never have lost the weight without it.

Just to add to that I found this site from the iTunes App store, and after just a day I think it's fantastic! I actually wrote myself a little Access database that did a lot of the stuff it does here back in January when I was first getting to grips with the diet and the diabetes, but this does it properly. I always hated not being able to update my database from my phone, too - at least that's sorted here :)

Pleased to meet you all anyway, time to go read some threads...

Replies

• Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Welcome and well done on your success so far. Joining MFP is the best thing you could have done, you'll find all the support, encouragement and motivation you could ever need all in one place. Good luck with the rest of your journey, feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like :glasses:
  • absofsteel
    Options
    Hi, I'm in Ireland and a lot of the friends I have here are in the uk. I found this place through the apps store on my iphone and it was the best thing that I ever found. The database has loads of foods that I use regurarly like tesco, Aldi brands which saves me having to add stuff all the time.
    This site has a great mix of men,women,young and not quite as young as well as people with a little or a lot of weight to lose.
    Feel free to add me as a friend and I'll even share my other friends with you ;)
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Woah what a story!

Welcome aboard and good luck!
  • k_wills
    k_wills Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're well on your way!!
  • TMLS
    TMLS Posts: 125 Member
    Options