Breastfeeding?

Options
Is there anyway to account for this on myfitnesspal in terms of calorie intake and weight loss goals?

Replies

• wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You can look up breastfeeding in the food database or enter it manually under exercise.
  • saintsteffers1
    Options
    All I know is that your bottom line should be at least1800 cal if you're fully breastfeeding, as less than that might impact your milk supply.... so if you can set it manually I'm not sure... Good luck!
    Steph
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    you should be consuming at least 2000 cals or else you are depriving yourself of nutrients, you may not see the effects now, but you may get things like osteoporosis in your future. Im 100% breastfeeding my 2 month old and i just told the doctor that i was calorie counting and thats what he told me. It was pretty discouraging but im gonna try to work with it.

good luck to you :)
  • laurawinder
    laurawinder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stuck to 2000 cals whilst breastfeeding and managed to shift the last 14lbs of my baby weight really quickly. My baby was about 6 months old at the time and weaning onto solids so I would say if you baby is still totally breastfeeding you should be in an even better position. Good luck with it and enjoy it as it makes losing weight so much easier! Do remember to take care of yourself though and don't cut down too low or both you and your baby will suffer - a tired mummy is not a happy mummy!
  • amyl11
    amyl11 Posts: 6
    Options
    If you search breastfeeding in the food search area it will come up and add calories to your total. It adds 500 for me, is that the same for everyone?

As far as the recommendation to be at 2000 calories; that probably makes sense, and obviously, if your doctor recommended it, I'd follow it. But, keep in mind, if you eat additional calories as fruit, veggies, nuts, good dairy, etc. it is doing good things for your body AND your baby! Yes, its discouraging to feel like it will take longer to lose the weight, but it also gives you that much longer to get used to eating differently and maybe even healthier.

I've had the mindset in the past that "I need the calories so I can eat whatever I want". While a calorie is a calorie; its a lot easier to feel good about yourself and so much healthier if those calories come from good foods as opposed to a Snickers bar. :)