my first spin class

Options
on a whim, i took my first spin class today. have been thinking about taking one for a long time, but have always been too nervous due to partial knee replacements. my car was in the shop and my ride wasn't coming back to the gym for about another 45 minutes and i was already done lifting, so i checked the class schedule and saw a spin class started in minutes.

small class with the instructor, me and five other women. i've ridden my bike plenty of times, an exercise bike even more and an expresso bike a bunch at the gym, so i figured it was time to give spin a try.

according to my polar, the 45 minute class burned almost 900 calories. there was a lot of pedaling while standing up, something i haven't done in years and wasn't even sure i could do, but was able to. i didn't stand as much as everyone else tho. i added some resistance when told, but not as much as told.

from what i have read, i am not sure how much of a "spin" class this actually was in comparison to other places, but it was a good start for me.

long story short, put your fears aside, overcome your obstacles and accomplish things you didn't think were possible.

Replies

• 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    You did amazing for your first class! The hardest part is getting over the uncomfortableness of the seat :) Spinning is an awesome cardio workout and really great for people with a history of knee problems. Keep it up and you'll be able to hover and stand with the rest of the class in no time. Way to challenge yourself!!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Great job. Spin classes are hard. I would be like you ... I don't think I could do too much tension right now, but I know that I would give it my all. Just the way that I am. No sense showing up and not working hard at doing it.

Who knows this may become a regular thing for you .. and it is inspirational for the rest of us.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Great job. Spin classes are hard. I would be like you ... I don't think I could do too much tension right now, but I know that I would give it my all. Just the way that I am. No sense showing up and not working hard at doing it.

Who knows this may become a regular thing for you .. and it is inspirational for the rest of us.

thanks. that's exactly what i thought when i was debating taking the class. why wake up early and get a ride to the gym if i'm not going to push myself today?
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You. Are. AWESOME!!!!!! maybe I will venture to try something different... like go to a gym eventually... :bigsmile:

You have inspired me before...with the hot yoga and all!!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple days late to the thread, but I also did my first spin class last Friday (did my second one this morning).

I'm definitely enjoying it. I've always been kind of anti-cardio and just stuck to lifting. Hoping throwing some spinning into the mix will help me lean out a little.
  • bebifal
    bebifal Posts: 98
    Options
    Good Job!! I teach spin class at my gym and because in the country I live, it's not a very popular exercise, 99% of people who do come for my class are new to spin. The awesome thing about spin is that you can control the intensity of the workout. I highly recommend it as a class you take consistently, you'll be amazed at how much stronger you get each week :)
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of spinning. It was the only cardio I was allowed during rehab from a hip fracture last year (no standing allowed though). Intense calorie burn and I always feel like I've pushed myself harder (in the good way) when in an instructor led class than when I spin alone or even use the standard stationary bike.
  • librarygirlontherun
    Options
    I love spin and it is the one class that my husband and I take together.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    thanks for everyone's support. while i enjoyed the class, my calves are not too happy about it today. but since i didn't plan on taking the class, i worked calves beforehand. and i haven't stood and rode a bike in like 15 years, even tho i ride, just sitting down all the time, so i guess that is why my calves are yelling.

i def plan in taking it again, might actually grab the schedule when i hit the gym later today. i am hoping it can be a weekly thing for me, i guess it all depends on recovery time.

thanks again for everyone's support!
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I love spin because I can adjust the tension as I need, spend as little or much time out of the saddle as I want, every class is different so it doesn't get boring. On average for a 45 minute class I burn around 375 calories. Of course the more tension I put on the wheel the higher calorie burn. Stick with it & you'll be hooked to!