You Just Have To Read This!

Options
Picture this:

Family of 4. Two adults (me and hubby), 16 y/o boy skinny skinny, 12 y/o daughter (big boned a a bit chunky but not fat)

Eating habits: Anything and everything quick:
Biscuits and sausage for breakfast, ravioli for lunch, hamburger helper type stuff at dinner, ice cream for snack

That was just a "scenerio"

Since Hubby and I started this Nutrition/Weight Loss program, naturally (the great mom that I am...now) has changed my childrens eating habits.

Weeded out all unhealthy snacks, etc.
Cooking nutritiously
Exercising

Well, last night I cooked whole wheat pasta, garlic (chopped) with some extra virgin olive oil, grilled chicken (then cut up) and steamed brocolli florets with garlic salt flavoring (no butter).

OH MY GOSH! MY KIDS LIKE TO HAVE DIED! THEIR WORDS "Mom, just cuz ya'll are on this diet doesn't mean we have to eat like goats" My son said, "next time we mow the lawn, just let me take care of it....i'll eat it instead" THEN....................he tells me....."Can't wait until school tomorrow so I can actually EAT!" The lunch at school is chili cheese frito pie!

Their killing me! Nonetheless, I will NOT give in. They will learn now!!!!! Kudos to me.

Replies

• Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    Picture this:

Family of 4. Two adults (me and hubby), 16 y/o boy skinny skinny, 12 y/o daughter (big boned a a bit chunky but not fat)

Eating habits: Anything and everything quick:
    Biscuits and sausage for breakfast, ravioli for lunch, hamburger helper type stuff at dinner, ice cream for snack

That was just a "scenerio"

Since Hubby and I started this Nutrition/Weight Loss program, naturally (the great mom that I am...now) has changed my childrens eating habits.

Weeded out all unhealthy snacks, etc.
    Cooking nutritiously
    Exercising

Well, last night I cooked whole wheat pasta, garlic (chopped) with some extra virgin olive oil, grilled chicken (then cut up) and steamed brocolli florets with garlic salt flavoring (no butter).

OH MY GOSH! MY KIDS LIKE TO HAVE DIED! THEIR WORDS "Mom, just cuz ya'll are on this diet doesn't mean we have to eat like goats" My son said, "next time we mow the lawn, just let me take care of it....i'll eat it instead" THEN....................he tells me....."Can't wait until school tomorrow so I can actually EAT!" The lunch at school is chili cheese frito pie!

Their killing me! Nonetheless, I will NOT give in. They will learn now!!!!! Kudos to me.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Eat like goats? That meal sounds like heaven! :laugh:
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    Options
    Keep it up....try a variety of recipes and they will find things that they like better! AND the message you are sending is going to make a long-term difference for them, which is what you are interested in!

Way to go Mom! :drinker:
  • ColtsFan1912
    ColtsFan1912 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    that meal sounds good.
    it will take time for 'em
    good for you!
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    maybe try something a little less obviously healthy like chilli made with ground turkey and brown rice or oven fries made with sweet potato with a turky burger
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    I am up against the same thing However 3 months down the road and the ripple effect is happening. My kids are noticing how many calories things contain - although would rather give up their nintendos than admit this to Mom but I see them sneaking a peak at the guides on packages. All in time I guess!
  • dragonscapes24
    Options
    Eat like goats... that meal sounds amazing... you can come and cook for me anytime and I won't complain... lol... give your kids some time to adjust... also try to find recipes for stuff that they like but healthy... like pizza... kids love pizza and you can make it really healthy these days... good luck...
    Jenn
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I only have my 18 year old son at home now....

When we first started dieting, we tried adjusting our recipes to make them more "healthy" with less calories... total failure - you just can't reinvent the wheel when it comes to what they are used to eating.

Here's a few dinner ideas we have been using....

I bumped a recipe for Turkey meatballs & Spaghetti in the recipe section here (I also use the meatball recipe for turkey burgers - I sub in red pepper or chili pepper for the thyme)... My son loves it!!!

I also make beefed up chicken caesar salads (extra chix or shrimp, mushrooms, cheese, tomatoes, etc) (my sons are much more beefed up than mine & my husbands)

If you have a trader joe's - try their alfredo sauce (add shrimp or chicken with sauteed garlic & mushrooms) toss with their spinach & chive pasta... 400 cals for 1 1/2 cups... to die for - your kids will NOT complain.

The Yukon jack gold potatoes are a great low cal potato... I mash them with a little chicken stock & garlic salt - their golden color looks like their packed with butter... they taste great

Another new house favorite is the mini chicken pot pie recipe (in this recipe section)... I do spice up the sauce a bit with red pepper & garlic salt (to disguise the "low-fat" flavors from the soup & cheese)
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm going thru the same thing with my 8 year old. He acts like it is killing him to eat veggies and salad with a meal. Tho he will never admit it, I can tell that he is starting to like some of this stuff. For instance, last night we had whole grain spaghetti (no meat) with salad, i gave my younger daughter baby carrots and dip on her plate. Sure enough he asked " where's my carrots and dip??? lol he ate them all . 6 months ago, he would not have touched a carrot. Just hang in there and keep cooking the good stuff :wink:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Absolutely kudos to you!! You and hubby keep up the good work. Your kids will thank you for it later. :flowerforyou: