Homemade Bread

Tandksmommy10
Tandksmommy10 Posts: 80
edited September 21 in Recipes
Anyone have a low calorie recipe for some whole wheat homemade bread? I have a bread machine, and wanted to make my own bread to save some money, and to be able to add some variation so that it's not cardboard tasting like the store bought low calorie stuff.

Replies

• amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    •4 cups of warm water (110–115°F)
    •3 packets of dry active yeast (¼ ounce each)
    •½ cup whole grain buckwheat flour
    •½ cup whole grain barley flour
    •1 cup whole grain rye flour
    •4–5 cups whole wheat flour
    •4 grams of salt
    •Canola oil or canola oil spray, as needed
    Seeds and Grains

•1 cup of ground flax seeds (grind them in a coffee grinder, or buy milled flax seeds)
    •½ cup sunflower seeds
    •½ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
    •¾ cup whole rolled oats
    •½ cup wheat bran

For the first rise, put the ball of dough in a bowl coatedwith oil (canola oil spray is very handy). To prevent drying, also coat the topof the dough with a thin layer of oil. Cover the bowl with a wet dish towel or plasticwrap, and let it rise in a warm environment until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. (Placing the bread in an oven withthe light on works well. You can also let the dough rise on top of the oven asit is preheating.)

For a lighter-textured loaf, remove the dough from the bowl, fold the dough in half twice, andplace it back in the bowl, covered, to let it rise a second time. After the second rise, deflate the dough by punchingit gently. Carefully cut the dough into 2 or 3 equal pieces, and put each pieceof dough in an oil-coated loaf pan.

Bakeat 300°F for 45 to 60 minutes. When your kitchen smells likefresh baked bread and the bread is done, remove from the oven, turn the bread out of the pans onto arack, and cool the loaves completely. This bread tastes great when it‘stoasted, and it is delicious served with hummus, guacamole, and choppedwalnuts. The loaves also freeze well.

Nutrient analysis for 1 slice of bread (1/10th of a small loaf, or 1/15th of a large loaf)

Calories: 150 ⁄ Protein: 6 g ⁄ Carbohydrate: 25 g ⁄ Fiber: 6 g ⁄ Sodium: 55 mg
    Saturated fat: 1 g ⁄ Polyunsaturated fat: 3 g ⁄ Monounsaturated fat: 1 g ⁄
    Trans fat: 0 g ⁄ Cholesterol: 0 mg

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/recipes/hearty-whole-grain-bread/index.html

Thought this looked good!
  • If you find one, post it. I can't make one low enough in calories. The Nature's Own Honey Wheat 35 calorie bread is good though. Better than anything else I've tried. It's moist, not dry and brittle. The others seem to break apart and are nasty tasting. That bread is really good with peanut butter or anything. Even my kids, have preferred that bread over our normal bread. that is now our normal bread. God bless you on your weight loss journey!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I never thought to put flax seeds in bread!! I'm hoping to make some bread this week after seriously putting it off and I may have to try that!! :] I bought some bread from Kroger that has some seeds and oats on the top... could I just sprinkle oats on top and it would turn out okay?
This discussion has been closed.