Weird hunger pangs

Options
Has anyone else experienced this? Sometimes immediately after and/or less than an hour after eating, I get hunger pangs. I can literally feel the food that I just ate in my stomach, yet my stomach is growling and I feel ravenous. I eat high protein and fat and typically a lot of vegetables. I also usually get a gallon of liquids in per day. I am a recovering compulsive-overeater, but those issues are all mental. THIS feels physical. Any thoughts?

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've gone through this and still do. I get it mostly on my 'cheat days' which are high cals, high healthy carbs, low fats. I can eat and eat all Saturday, quit eating by 7pm as usual, and by 8pm I'm starving like I haven't eaten all day. Is it because of the high carbs, the low fat, or both? I don't know.

I just tell myself that my stomach is lying to me, and have tea or water.

ETA - I don't have those hunger pains when I eat high fats. But FYI, high fat isn't healthy if you eat high carb, too.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Even with all the vegetables, I still total around 50 carbs per day (keeps me in ketosis.)
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When that happens to me it's usually emotional "hunger."

Sometimes if I just seem to feel hungry way too often and have trouble sticking to my calorie goals, I will fast for a day. It helps me feel full faster when I eat and stay full longer. If you want to read more up on it, look at Intermittent Fasting or 5:2 diet. Monday is the easiest day for me to eat light, so if I feel like I need to I'll either do a true fast or eat like 800 calories or less.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Even with all the vegetables, I still total around 50 carbs per day (keeps me in ketosis.)

I didn't realize you're a low carber/"keto dude". I looked in your diary and it looks great. Perhaps you could increase your fats and lower your protein, but I'm not sure that's necessary. I get those 'hungries' and just try to drink water when that happens. Sometimes tea helps. I stop eating by 7pm so just about every night I get them, and I just drink to shut my tummy up. Then I go for a walk and realize that indeed, it was my stomach lying to me because the food was just sitting there in my stomach until I got moving, so I truly did not need to eat anymore. Maybe that's an idea, for you to take a walk after you eat? It's supposed to be a great way to burn excess sugars (glycogen) off and help aid digestion.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It can be caused by your digestion. Your stomach has to contract to allow food out into your intestines so maybe you're sensitive to that feeling and mistaking it for hunger pains?
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I have been starving for about 2 weeks now. I am wondering if my body just has decided that since I am below the body weight that I have been since forever (like, before I was 12 years old), that it needs to get back to a higher weight.

My weight is still ok, even dropping on a diet ranging from 1400-1900 cal per day and carbs 130-200 grams per day. However, what I really liked about the low carb diet I was initially on was that I wasn't hungry. I was limiting my carbs to 25 net per day. Perhaps if you increase the fat/protein and drop the carbs even more that will help? Are you still on the appetite suppressant? Perhaps your body has become accustomed to it and it is not effective anymore.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I do come in pretty low on fat, so I'll see if raising that helps. And maybe going for a walk with a bottle of water in hand after eating will help too. I should be doing that anyway, I guess. Fleetz, I occasionally take the phendimetrazine, but only when I need the energy. It doesn't have that much of an appetite suppressant effect on me, but on the days that I can't stay awake on 3rd shift, it's a life saver!
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You say you used to overeat compulsively; it could be possible that your stomach is anticipating more food as it has grown to compensate for your formerly large portions. If so, your stomach should shrink back to normal soon.