protien shakes with out protien taste

Options
candykay0605
candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
I need protien shake ideas where you can't taste the protien.. it makes me gag every time... I do not like peanut butter .. but like anything else basically!! Please help :)

Replies

• candykay0605
    Options
    BumBump please
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    Get NOW unflavored protein. It has no flavor and no sweeteners--just protein.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you can entirely get away from that "protein" taste. A chocolate protein shake will never taste like a Wendy's Frosty :cry: The first time I had a protein shake, I thought I was going to gag and I was bummed I spent that money on something I wouldn't use.

But I found that if I mix it with COLD milk and make sure it's mixed thoroughly, it's not too bad. I use 12 oz of milk instead of the 8 it suggests, so it's not quite so grainy. Also, the longer you take to drink it, the more the powder settles, and the worse it is. So I don't sip it like it's a treat, I drink it pretty quickly. (Careful - combine cold milk with drinking too quickly and you might get a brain freeze, ouch! :laugh: ) By the way, I use EAS 15 … I don't know that it's better/worse than others, but I picked it for lower calorie count overall and price.

If you really can't get past the taste in the protein shakes, you can get your protein from other sources (this is probably better, actually … there's nothing magic about a protein shake, it just helps me meet macros when I'm low). Meat, including chicken and fish, dairy, eggs, nuts, beans, and some whole grains and vegetables have protein, and it's completely possible to get all the protein you need from eating them
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try Trutein, and thank me later ;)

It's tough to find, so you probably have to buy it online. But you can order samples from the company. I ordered them all and they're all great, then I bought tubs of Cinnabun and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup.

I get it from Netrition or Bodybuilding.com

It may still taste "proteiny" to you, but it's the best tasting protein powder I've ever tried. I actually enjoy it. And no, I'm not connected to the company in any way :)
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    I think the gnc why protein in sugar cookie flavor is delish, I dunno what you mean by the protein taste, I can't think of anything about my shake that tastes weird, it has a smooth consistency and I add sweet leaf drops in English toffee to it also frequently and it tastes amazing!
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    Not really sure what you mean by tasting the protein. I buy chocolate flavored protein powder and all I taste is the chocolate. It's Sunwarrior Classic Protein. Raw vegan chocolate flavor. I have so many allergies and it's gluten, dairy, egg, soy, and vanilla free. Very tasty tough! The plain flavored one is disgusting. Good luck finding your protein powder. :happy:
  • candykay0605
    Options
    The best thing I've done so far is 1 grapefruit, 1 orange and a lemon it completely gets rid of that taste... and I have tried swallowing other stuff as quick as possible to get it over with and still get the gag reflex!" I wanna do the protien shakes in the morning so it will be quick and easy! :)
  • candykay0605
    Options
    For me the protien taste is ... thick maybe chalky its a heavy kind of taste... maybe I just have very sensitive taste buds
  • kattaw
    kattaw Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Do you just stir in the protein powder or do you use a blender? I find that doing the latter helps avoid that gritty texture, and when I mix it with 12oz of unsweetened vanilla soy milk and half a cup of frozen berries, I find that it is delicious enough to treat it like dessert most nights. I use EAS vanilla soy protein powder (heads up, it still contains non-vegan elements if that's a concern - don't let the 'soy' in the name fool you), but I also like Genisoy's chocolate.
  • candykay0605
    Options
    I've always used a blender!!!
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what a protein taste is.

MHP chocolate tastes like brownie batter.
    BSN cinnamon roll and caramel latte are yummy.
    Dymatize doesnt make a bad flavor.
    Russian Bear 5000 tastes like melted ice cream.
    Syntrax Nectar has a few good flavors (avoid the tea and peach flavors- they taste like cough syrup).
    Isopure tastes like a snow cone.
    Protein Blitz tastes like koolaid.

Ifbthe protein is "kick in the mouth" nasty, i mix it in coffee.
    If its chocolate and tolerable:
    2 scoops protein
    2 tbs pudding mix
    3 tbs water
    3 tbs chocokate chips or nuts

Mix in microwave safe mug and microwave for 2 minutes. Lava cake.

Make 1-2 scoops in 8oz liquid. Add 1/2 cup heavy cream. Pour in ziplock bag and seal. Place this into a larger ziplock filled halfway with ice and 3 tbs salt. Seal. Shake, toss, squish for several minutes. Rinse smaller bag. Soft serve ice cream!
  • Pinkee33
    Pinkee33 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Let's see... Miiking with water does certainly give bland, protein taste for sure <my opinion anyway:laugh: >

Cookies and Cream is pretty darn good mixed with Cold Milk, water and blended...

Otherwise, I've only tried chocolate and to that I would add, Cold Milk [8oz], water [4oz} and a teaspoon of peanut butter.

Blend in blender or Magic Bullet! FABULOUS! Don't be afraid to experiment.... sometimes I used flavored yogurt instead of milk

to get that creamy texture :bigsmile:
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    Gotcha. My husband swears by the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard brand. Mocha Cappuccino flavor! He is extremely picky and does not like most protein powders (same reason as you, chalky) and he loves this one! He likes the Vanilla flavor as well. But the Mocha Cappuccino he cannot live without!
  • candykay0605
    Options
    Gotta add bananas and coffee make me gag also... I know I know I'm a weird breed
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Try something different. Right now, I'm loving the GNC Total Lean Total Lean Shakes in the following flavors (BTW I only use water to mix with it and they're fab):

Orange Cream (tastes like the Push-Ups you used to eat as a kid

Key Lime Pie (Take a sip and you'll swear you can taste the pie crust)

Cinnamon Apple Awesome (Limited Edition)

If you're feeling wild, mix their Orange Cream and their Banana (1 scoop each) and you have a really nice orange banana flavor.

They also have pumpkin in the premade bottles. I haven't tried these but last year they had pumpkin in the powder and it was very good.
  • kwalker1965
    Options
    EAS Carb Advantage protein shakes are good imo. Chocolate Fudge is 100 calories, and I believe 17 g of protein. I stick them in the freezer and let them get slushy.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    For me the protien taste is ... thick maybe chalky its a heavy kind of taste... maybe I just have very sensitive taste buds

In that case, it simply means you're not using enough liquid/mixer.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I take mine with milk and then add 20g of Angel Delight... my treat for the day.. whisk it all up... lovely
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    musclepharm's protein powders are all awesome