Should I hire a personal trainer?

Options
Do you think a good personal trainer helps if your goal is to get fit.? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers are good if you don't have any idea what you're doing at the gym and need someone to show you how to lift properly. They are good for people who aren't self-motivated and need someone to push them during their workout. They're good for special populations, like those with injuries, arthritis, or the obese or elderly, who want someone to tailor a program to their needs. They're good for people who don't want to spend the time or don't have the time to research workout routines for themselves, and want someone to build a routine for them and help them progress without having to think about it.

If you know what to do, how to do it safely, don't have any medical conditions inhibiting your ability to follow existing programs, and are willing to spend the time researching different programs to find something for you, there's really no reason to pay a trainer unless you want to.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kate!!! I really appreciate your comments.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    what are your goals? if its just to get stronger, lose weight etc...i would say no. you can get all of that from the internet. but if you are training for something specific(tennis in your case?) then id hire a trainer who specializes in that activity. i wouldnt hire a regular trainer at a gym.
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    i would recommend you to get a personal trainer
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    My goal is to get lean and stronger. Also lose 13 pounds and get my bodyfat to 10%.

Yes I want to be fit for tennis!!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Do you think a good personal trainer helps if your goal is to get fit.? What are your thoughts?

yes! absolutely, without a doubt.

getting a personal trainer was the best choice I have ever made. I love my trainers, and will try ANYTHING for them, and they take full advantage of that. My current trainer has introduced me to things that I never would have tried, and never thought I could do.

If you told me 6 months ago that I would do a 40 minute workout on the heavy bag and LOVE it, I would have asked you if you were high.

If you told me that I would be standing on BOSU balls doing battle ropes, and weight lifters jaws would drop, I would have called you a liar.

Not only did "my boys" guide me towards physical fitness, introduce me to new activities that I love, but they have become like family to ,me.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    My goal is to get lean and stronger. Also lose 13 pounds and get my bodyfat to 10%.

Yes I want to be fit for tennis!!

knowing you from this site i would say you dont need a trainer. there is nothing a trainer at a gym is going to teach you that you cant learn yourself. you are smart, motivated etc... a trainer in your case is just a money sink. save that money instead for another baseball tour. :)
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    I may save my money and do it on my own.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    I may save my money and do it on my own.

good call. for some who need motivation its good but for self motivated people like you its a waste.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    They're not essential.
    They're expensive.
    Yes, they can help you achieve your goals, but many many people achieve their goals without one.
  • jennyc1270
    jennyc1270 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me having a trainer was essential in the beginning when I was 100 pounds heavier and had no idea where to start. We discussed my goals which included such things as being able to get up off the floor and have balance. I also wanted to make sure I was losing fat, not muscle. It is amazing to see my progress over the last 9 months and for me having the trainer has been key.